Author Topic: AFL 2005 National Draft thread  (Read 4032 times)

letsgetiton!

Re: AFL 2005 National Draft thread
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2005, 12:58:13 PM »
Caro's blowing Hawthorn's trumpet on 3aw. She even said Wallace was envious and that some recruiter told her they'll win 4 flags in a row in 6 years! That's what they said about the Saints 5 years ago ::).

i heard clarkos press conference, this is what i make of all the bs that comes out of his hawks mouth.
1/ he is so unsure about his ability to coach that he is just going 4 youth and draft picks in hope they come good!
2/ he is so brainwashed and thinks all the young kids will become top grade chaps
3/ he is an insecure coach and will always have the excuse " we are playing the kids , our futureis bright"

pigs arse , he is a tosser!

about us , im glad we picked who we got, clrke will be a risk, we dont really know how the menigic virus he has will affect him, they say he will recover, but who knows, and the 3 kids we have are just as good as any other, im getting excited over nicholls , he lids bling and meyer will be a force

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
David King on 3aw after 4pm
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2005, 01:42:20 PM »
David King will be on 3aw after 4pm chatting about our picks.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2005, 06:51:58 AM »
Caro's blowing Hawthorn's trumpet on 3aw. She even said Wallace was envious and that some recruiter told her they'll win 4 flags in a row in 6 years! That's what they said about the Saints 5 years ago ::).

i heard clarkos press conference, this is what i make of all the bs that comes out of his hawks mouth.
1/ he is so unsure about his ability to coach that he is just going 4 youth and draft picks in hope they come good!
2/ he is so brainwashed and thinks all the young kids will become top grade chaps
3/ he is an insecure coach and will always have the excuse " we are playing the kids , our futureis bright"

pigs behind , he is a tosser!

about us , im glad we picked who we got, clrke will be a risk, we dont really know how the menigic virus he has will affect him, they say he will recover, but who knows, and the 3 kids we have are just as good as any other, im getting excited over nicholls , he lids bling and meyer will be a force

The Hawks say they are going to be patient but for how long  especially with Jeff now prez. Their fanatical youth policy means they are rebuilding from scratch without basically an experienced core. Apart from Hodge, Mitchell and a couple of others (Crawford and Everitt will retire soon), their recruiting prior to last year had been worse than ours and that's saying something. At least we added some quality mid-20yo experience with Sugar, Browny and Simmo along with the kids. Plus we're a draft ahead of them.

So the Hawks need to strike A-grade gold with nearly every kid and take risks such as Dowler and Muston otherwise they are stuffed anyway IMO. I'm sooooo glad the Tiges aren't taking this all or nothing approach. If the Hawks fail it could set them back another 10 years; not to mention the financial cost. Without a wealthy mysterious benefactor and Ian Dicker pumping in substancial $$$ to balance the books, Hawthorn would have lost over a $1 million dollar this year from their football club operations.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2005, 09:07:01 AM »
If Hawthorn can get this group of draftees up...then imho...theyre probably 18 months ahead of us. Reason is...Our redevelopment started with the Gilmour draft. For us to catch up...we need to get rid of the last 8 or 9 players on our list who arent up to it next year and take another large group of kids. In fact this is what must happen if we are serious. I would also think that next year 1 or 2 players may be taken to the trade table that none of us expect in order to improve our draft position.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Matt Burgan's analysis of draft
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2005, 04:02:24 PM »
Now for the analysis...
1:46:18 PM Sun 27 November, 2005
Matt Burgan
afl.com.au

RICHMOND

Unlike last year, when Richmond was one of the driving forces in the draft, it took just three selections, opting to save one up its sleeve for the pre-season meeting. Further pace into the midfield became the order of the day, when it chose Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls and Travis Casserley. The duo adds to an emerging midfield at Punt Rd. Cleve Hughes was somewhat of a steal as he was expected to be a 10 to 20 draft selection. The Tigers were delighted to snatch the key forward. From limited selections, Richmond will be more than satisfied with these choices and they are a nice addition to a fine draft last year.

8 - Jarrad Oakley-Nicholls (East Perth)
24 - Cleve Hughes (Norwood)
40 - Travis Casserley (Swan Districts)
67 - Pass

http://afl.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=238589

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2005, 03:59:48 AM »
If Hawthorn can get this group of draftees up...then imho...theyre probably 18 months ahead of us. Reason is...Our redevelopment started with the Gilmour draft. For us to catch up...we need to get rid of the last 8 or 9 players on our list who arent up to it next year and take another large group of kids. In fact this is what must happen if we are serious. I would also think that next year 1 or 2 players may be taken to the trade table that none of us expect in order to improve our draft position.

Next year's highly rated draft will be a good time for one final clean-out. I reckon you are right RT about us taking 1-2 unexpected players to the draft table. Clubs are going to be reluctant moreso next year to give up first round picks. You'll need to offer good value.

As for the Hawks, their recruiting under Peter Schwab was on par with ours under Spud b/w 2000-2002 IMO which is saying something. Take away Hodge, Mitchell, Everitt and Williams and its an ordinary lot. Plus Everitt will be retiring soon. So I don't believe they had a head start on us prior to 2003.

IMO we began our clean out a year earlier than Hawthorn so I had us ahead of them before this draft. We also have a more solid core to build around as we haven't gone ultra-youth so we don't need to throw our young guys to the wolves. Our cubs have to earn a game.

Hawks recruiting (still on list)
2004 - Roughead, Franklin, Lewis, Thomas Murphy, Matthew Little, Simon Taylor, Thurgood, Clinton Young (8)
2003 - Trent Croad, Danny Jacobs, Harry Miller, Zac Dawson, Matthew Ball, Brad Sewell (6)
2002 - Peter Everitt, Luke Brennan, Tim Boyle  (3)
2001 - Luke Hodge, Sam Mitchell, Rick Ladson, Campbell Brown, Robert Campbell, Michael Osborne (6) 
2000 - Nick Ries, Mark Williams (2)

Tiges recruiting (still on list)
2004 - Simmonds, Knobel, Deledio, Tambling, Meyer, Pattison, Polo, McGuane, Limbach, Thursfield (10)
2003 - Browny, Tuck, Roach, Jackson, Raines, Hartigan, Foley (7)
2002 - Johnson, Schulz, Moore (3)
2001 - Stafford, Rodan (2)
2000 - Pettifer, Coughlan, Krakouer, Hyde, Newman (5)

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2005, 01:16:52 PM »
i feel we are behind now because I feel Krakouer and Hyde are average squad players, Stafford is about to retire and Rodan I feel is overated by our supporters, Moore has potential but needs to pull the finger out this year, Roach, Jackson and Raines all have potential...but same as more at the moment...I have my doubts about Polo...although I think he could be a good run with player...and I have some serious serious doubts about Limbach andMcGuane being good long term players. My brother...played golf the weekend before last...with a former RFC premiership player...who i rate as someone who knows good kids when he sees them...unfortunately his assessment was that atleast half of the youngsters we took in Gilmour draft wont make it...(thats the Roach, Jackson, Raines draft). Thats why i feel we are behind. We need one more cleanout, 1 more bottom finish and some heavy handed  trading. And finally we will be on our way.

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2005, 01:32:42 PM »
Hyde is underrated, Wallace turned him into EXACTLY the type of run and carry player he wants, then he smashed his skull and was just never the same player, hopefully he regaisn his early 2005 form.

Moore is unathletic, can't kick, still skinny at about 22 years old and an awkward height, nuff said.

Rodan is a BIG watch for 2006, will thrive under Wallace's gameplan.

Polo, Limbach, McGuane are all unknown qualities.

We do need one more cleanout, players like Tiv, Chaff, Staff, Moore and Krakeour should be pushed along (Krakeour is tradeable though!).

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2005, 06:30:42 PM »
Agree Ramps that probably half the guys we took in the 2003 draft won't make it but that doesn't concern me if the other half come through. Tuck picked up in the draft at 76 or whatever is already there so it'll be up to the likes of Jackson, Raines and Hartigan to join him as regulars. 2006 is a big year for those three. Chuck Sarge in there as well.

It won't surprise me if Roach and Moore are gone this time next year. I have question marks over Foley (size) and Rodan (past form).

I still don't understand how we kicked backside in the 2000 (Pettifer,Cogs,Krak,Hyde,Newman) draft under Beck and Spud given we screwed up in the 2 drafts either side of it but we did. This time last year Pettifer and Hyde were on the scrap-heap but now look part of our future under Wallace. Hyde will never be a superstar but if he's in our bottom 6 of our 22 and 10-12th in our midfield rotation then we won't be doing too badly. Krakouer cops alot and he is inconsistent but he has improved each and every year.

Apart from Hodge, Mitchell and Mark Williams, I just don't rate any of the other Hawks kids they picked up b/w 2000-2003. I even wouldn't be surprised if a vast number of them are delisted within the next year or two. Hawthorn picked up more kids in that period but not quality ones.