Author Topic: Tigers can absorb pressure: Bowden (RFC)  (Read 1137 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers can absorb pressure: Bowden (RFC)
« on: February 20, 2008, 02:22:51 AM »
Tigers can absorb pressure: Bowden
Catherine Murphy
richmondfc.com.au
 7:58 PM Tue 19 February, 2008

RICHMOND’S Joel Bowden is well aware that as last year’s ‘wooden spooners’ the Tigers will be heavily scrutinised in season 2008.

But he believes the key to improving their performance from last weekend’s 40-point round-one NAB Cup loss to St. Kilda is a change in attitude.

"It’s all about handling that extra pressure and trying to use the pressure to our advantage," Bowden says.

"We have to be able to perform and execute our skills under pressure and just be comfortable in the fact that there is going to be pressure out there and not be overawed by it at all.

"Then continue to just play to our processes and structures and let the coaches make the moves. We just have to worry about the things we can control."

As for the extra media attention, the 29-year-old is confident the Tigers can handle it.

"That’s just football now a days, it’s highly scrutinised… footy is a big industry and people are paid to make observations on it and judgments and that’s just the way it is.

"We have to deal with that and we deal with that by training and playing better next time.

"Fortunately for us, we’ve done a fair bit of work on the inner sanctum to make sure that our group is strong, united and all basically pushing in the same direction."

What’s more Bowden is confident that there is still enough time left before the start of the season proper to eradicate any jitters which were evident in the defeat to the Saints.

"Hopefully in the next few weeks we’ll fine tune enough so that when the season proper comes, we’ll be competitive and consistent over the year."

The Tigers travel to Cairns this weekend where they will face Melbourne in a NAB Challenge match at Cazaly's Stadium and the talented defender sees the fixture as a chance to learn from last weekend’s mistakes.

"The most important thing is bouncing back from your mistake, putting it aside… then you just move on.

"It’s hard to do and it’s easy for me to say it but it’s getting that into players' minds that mistakes happen - move on, just do a better job next time."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/Default.aspx?tabid=6301&newsId=55422

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Tigers can absorb pressure: Bowden (RFC)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 07:05:41 AM »
lets wait and see

maybe terrys sales pitch is rubbing off on players

i would love to see us cool under pressure, but i cant remember how long its been since a rfc team was like that on the ground

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 08:43:53 AM »
Me either X, Im trying to think of when I last saw us consistantly unfazed by a bit of defensive pressure.  :-[

But at least they know where their problem lies.

I strongly believe that if we can find the attributes to be cool under pressure coming out of the backline and find space it'll flow all down the ground.  I just dont know if it will ever happen.  :-\  Especially with the handpasses that cant even hit a target from a couple of metres away.

We handpass in circles instead of clearing the area for space to run, it makes us dead meat in the end.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline wayne again

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 09:00:41 AM »
The demons next week is a must win game, even though it amounts to nothing as far as points etc.
 The tigs have the players to put on a exciting game of football.If they can win by 5 or so goals and play running exciting football it has to help the self belief and encourage them more. :thumbsup

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2008, 09:12:12 AM »
The demons next week is a must win game, even though it amounts to nothing as far as points etc.
 The tigs have the players to put on a exciting game of football.If they can win by 5 or so goals and play running exciting football it has to help the self belief and encourage them more. :thumbsup

Dunno Wayne.  I reckon we'll field a VERY young side this weekend but it'll be a good test for them none-the-less.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2008, 11:58:26 AM »
I have absolutely no doubt Joel Bowden is the real leader in that team.
Should be captain.

Tigermonk

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2008, 03:13:18 PM »
 ;D

Offline TIGER 03

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2008, 03:48:13 PM »
To show leadership means showing accountability, too often he is caught out 10m off his man when the ball is turned over. the hard running off the backline needs to come from the likes of king, raines and mcmahan. Joel first objective should be to stop his man, not accumulate possessions.

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 03:54:17 PM »
More damage control tripe.

Bowden has had 11 unsuccessful non-September seasons to get used to the pressure !

Piffffffle !!

Ox

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 04:13:14 PM »
Any team can absorb pressure ffs ::),it's having the ability to
perform when the pressure is on.
To be able to dig our way out of a losing situation.

Joel cant and never has.

Offline {X}

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 04:18:00 PM »
wasnt it joel on frid night who stopped the g train at full spped charging at him and won a free kick.
if im wrong correct me, but i thought being able to stand up and stand ur ground v that gorilla was absorbing the pressure and doing what had to be done.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2008, 04:24:25 PM »
It's not just dealing with pressure we have a problem with (thanks to our poor skills especially by foot) but also applying it ourselves back onto the opposition which in turn relieves pressure on us. Turning the ball over so often through lack of teamwork and unforced errors allows the opposition to "cheat". How many times last friday night did a Saint  just forget about chasing his Tiger opponent running off half-back because he knew he would get a freebie goal on our turnovers. To apply pressure you need to make the opposition accountable; not gift goal after goal from our U12's turnovers.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2008, 04:43:37 PM »
Joel cant and never has.

I respectfully disagree.