Author Topic: Steven Wright our new CEO  (Read 5761 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Steven Wright our new CEO
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2004, 10:07:17 PM »
Lets just hope that Steven Wright doesnt have the ambition to turn punt road into a racing circuit. lol ::)

;D

The Ferrari horse logo is yellow and black and our guys love going via the wings ;).

Michael Schumacher - number one RFC ticket holder  8).
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ox

« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2004, 12:55:22 PM »
LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO@
Our new chief CEO,STEVIE WRIGHT, being a recovering heroin addict and former lead singer of the easybeats.
Also known for the Aussie epic/trilogy, "Evie" parts 1,2 &3

LMAOOOOOO@A junkie running the show

Jackstar

« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2004, 01:15:38 PM »
I actually like Evie parts 1,2 & 3. Especially when the Melody Lords sing it and the leader singing gets some chick up from the crowd in part 2 and sticks his tongue down her throat, lol ;)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
CEO Steven Wright now on board
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2004, 06:51:18 PM »
Wright off and running
12:47:48 PM Fri 20 August, 2004
richmondfc.com.au

Richmond’s new CEO, Steven Wright, started his official duties with the Tigers this week.

The 39-year-old former chief executive of the Australian Grand Prix returned from overseas on Wednesday and was in the chair at Punt Road the following day, ready for “the many exciting challenges that lie ahead”.

“I suppose I’ve hit the ground running because there’s so much to be done, but that doesn’t faze me at all,” he said.

“If I didn’t think Richmond can be a very successful club, I wouldn’t be here.

“I can already sense the really positive vibes about the club’s future and I’m totally committed to doing everything I can to get the Tigers back up to where we belong.”

We will have an in-depth interview with Steven Wright at richmondfc.com.au early next month.

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=166957

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2004, 05:21:12 PM »
Wright up to the challenge
15 September, 2004
Tony Greenberg
richmondfc.com.au

Steven Wright followed his heart – and his head – to the CEO’s post at Punt Road . . .

The 39-year-old former chief executive of the Australian Grand Prix Corporation admits that having Yellow and Black blood coursing through his veins did influence his decision to join Richmond in the crucial off-field role, however, it was not the sole reason.

“I’ve been a Tiger my whole life. I grew up with the No. 4 of Royce Hart on my back and his picture on my wall as a kid, I went along to the games, and I wrote to the Club encouraging Royce during his career,” Wright said on Sport 927’s ‘Tigers’ Club Corner’.

“But while the passion is there as a Tiger supporter, this was a decision made with my head as well.

“Looking at the Club and where it is now, I felt that I could make a contribution. You know, I’m never going to play centre half-forward for the ‘Tiges’, but if I can bring some of the business skills I’ve learned and help get the Club back on a strong financial setting and well set up, then I think the future’s very bright for Richmond. That’s why I’m here . . .”

Wright has wasted no time in rolling up his sleeves and getting stuck into the big challenge that lies ahead at Tigerland.

“Unfortunately, at the moment, we haven’t got the luxury of time, to be able to sit back, just settle in nicely into the chair and look around and watch the grass grow on Punt Road Oval,” he said.

“I’ve been spending all my time on the business operations, getting my head around the budget, the financial position of the Club, and working out how we’re going to take it forward. So, it’s been a pretty busy time.

“We’ve really been looking at ways of getting us back on a solid financial footing . . . that includes setting a budget that’s achievable – no revenue projections that are out of this world.

“And, from a cost point of view as well, we need to go through and make sure that every dollar we earn is being wisely spent.

“So, that’s what I’ve been doing for the last few weeks – going through each department, line by line and working out where they’ve been spending the money and where they can make savings. I’m quite confident we can make a big turnaround with the finances next year . . . Once we get some financial stability, which hopefully will be in the near future, we’ll certainly then be able to grow the Club and look forward to prosperity.

“You can’t have continued football success without solid financial foundations, and that’s really what my focus is at the moment, leaving Terry (Wallace) and Greg (Miller) to develop the football side of the business in the short term, before I’ve got time to work with them on that.”

Although Wright didn’t officially start duties at Richmond until about a month ago, he was part of the process that resulted in Terry Wallace being lured to Punt Road as coach. He spoke at length over the phone with Wallace while still overseas.

“I had a number of discussions with Terry before he accepted the job . . . At that point in time we hadn’t had a chance to meet each other in person, but we felt it was important that if we’re going to be working together for the revival of the Richmond Football Club, we needed to understand that we’re coming from the same direction.” Wright said.

“He and I had the same view of where we saw Richmond going, and how we were going to work together to maximise the Club’s potential, which was fantastic news . . . I was very, very pleased with our discussion.”

And, Wright is convinced the triple Hawthorn premiership player and former Bulldogs coach is the right man to turn around the fortunes of the 2004 wooden-spooners.

“Terry will be a great coach of Richmond. He has all the enthusiasm in the world, he’s got a strategic brain, and he’s very excited and looking forward to the job,” Wright said.

“I think there are a lot of Richmond fans out there who are seeing the changes being made at the Club, particularly with Terry coming in, as well as us having the early draft picks, and realising there’s a really bright future for the Tigers.

“So, I encourage all the supporters to buy their membership tickets when they come on sale in the next few weeks for 2005 and get on board the Tiges.”

The one area of the Club Wright stresses he will not be involved with, is the political battle between the incumbent Board, led by Clinton Casey, and the alternative ticket headed up by Charles Macek.

“I just want to make it clear where I stand on the political issue. I’m an employee of the Richmond Football Club, my loyalty is to the Club and it’s my job to make sure the Club is successful in everything we do,” he said.

“I’m not taking sides or getting involved in the politics between the current Board and the alternative group – it would be totally inappropriate to do so. As far as I’m concerned, my main focus is on developing and rebuilding the Richmond Football Club.”

Wright finished with an interesting analogy between Richmond and the Formula One industry that had previously been such a major part of his life.

“If you look at Formula One, you realise that up to 1998 Ferrari hadn’t won a championship for a long time,” he said.

“So, while you can be on the bottom for a number of years, and at the back of the grid, you can still work your way back to the top. That’s what we’ll be doing at Tigerland . . .”

http://richmondfc.com.au/default.asp?pg=news&spg=display&articleid=171148
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2004, 08:50:08 AM »
“We’ve really been looking at ways of getting us back on a solid financial footing . . . that includes setting a budget that’s achievable – no revenue projections that are out of this world.

Finally, finally - smart budgeting :thumbsup

I have been saying this for years - the revenue targets needed to be achievable not based on hoping the team was going to successful - the RFC has done this for far too long.

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Jackstar

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2004, 08:53:40 AM »
I have the solution to our finances, very simple really, spend the money you have, dont spend monet you aint got!
Now was that easy ! ::)

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2004, 08:59:46 AM »
I have the solution to our finances, very simple really, spend the money you have, dont spend monet you aint got!
Now was that easy ! ::)

Fair call Jackstar.

But you have to budget for achievable revenues. You can't hope you are going to raise $27 miilion when history tells you that you are lucky to get $25m. How much you spend is determined by how much you earn.

I would argue that you shouldn't budget for say home crowds of 50,000 when you're coming off a season where you've won 7 games and think that your gonna make the finals when common sense should tell you that it is highly unlikely :help

Common Sense ::) ::) - now there's a concept :bow
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Jackstar

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2004, 09:03:34 AM »
 :thumbsup

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2004, 02:57:05 PM »
I would argue that you shouldn't budget for say home crowds of 50,000 when you're coming off a season where you've won 7 games and think that your gonna make the finals when common sense should tell you that it is highly unlikely :help

Especially when your home ground has its capacity reduced by about a third meaning "traditional" clashes draw lower crowds than usual (round 1 vs Pies). Geez how could anyone think we would average home crowds of 50,000 with a side that hardy wins and a style of play that sends you to sleep  ???.

Common sense and Richmond haven't been used in the one sentence for over 20 years  :'(.

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2004, 03:02:21 PM »
What are you talking about mightytiges? Frawley told us over pre-season he was going to change his style....our poor CEO thought this guy Frawley, hes a top bloke...hes going to change his style, we are going to attack and play nice footy and the fans will come.......

HAHAHAHAHAHA What a grouse club we have.
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Jackstar

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2004, 03:12:33 PM »
I remember go to the AGM and the coach got up and said, we were going to play alot of "Colllison Footy "" this year    Didnt see any of that, more like blokes being frightened for 22 rounds ! ::)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2004, 03:24:03 PM »
What are you talking about mightytiges? Frawley told us over pre-season he was going to change his style....

Silly me om21  ;D

I remember going to the Wizz Fizz Cup game against the Dees in Feb 2003 and expecting to see a revamped gameplan after our failings in 2002. When I saw no change and a similar insipid effort I was convinced Spud couldn't change his ways either. With Richo and Otto out injured in the early part of 2003 Danny was forced to come up with something different up forward and amazingly we won a few games. But as soon as they came back that was all chucked out the window and it was straight back to boring old one-dimensional footy  :scream.   

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2004, 04:43:17 PM »
What are you talking about mightytiges? Frawley told us over pre-season he was going to change his style....

Silly me om21  ;D

I remember going to the Wizz Fizz Cup game against the Dees in Feb 2003 and expecting to see a revamped gameplan after our failings in 2002. When I saw no change and a similar insipid effort I was convinced Spud couldn't change his ways either. With Richo and Otto out injured in the early part of 2003 Danny was forced to come up with something different up forward and amazingly we won a few games. But as soon as they came back that was all chucked out the window and it was straight back to boring old one-dimensional footy  :scream.   

Yuck.....Its like a nightmare......That game was a disaster as was the start of the year...
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne