Author Topic: Tom Lynch [merged]  (Read 415308 times)

dwaino

Re: Tom Lynch to be a Tiger [update]
« Reply #825 on: September 06, 2018, 09:33:06 AM »
Chaplin and now Lynch, yep we've absolutely killed it when it comes to Free Agency.

Don’t forget the coup that was Chris Knights.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #826 on: September 06, 2018, 09:58:36 AM »
After watching other clubs pick the eyes out of our club and others, win premierships, we finally get one come our way and it's not fair because Collingwood didn't get him???  You have got to be stuffing kidding me!
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #827 on: September 06, 2018, 10:33:03 AM »
We were the laughing stock of the competition and football community for 35 years.

We were stupid to trade in Prestia for pick 6, should have spent it on quality talent and development as our current crop were over the hill.

We had a soft drawer that allowed to us finish top 4; but would go out in straight sets.

Spent too much to retain Dusty

Got lucky we played our finals on the G.

Were the worst team to win the GF in recent history, possibly ever.

Would be lucky to make the 8 this year.

And NOW are the team that’s ruining equalisation and FA in the competition.

And the media have the gall to accuse US of having our cake and eating it too....

Welcome to Tigerland Tom, hope you look back on it as the smartest decision you ever made.

possibly one of the best posts i have read   :clapping :clapping :clapping

1 or 2 of those i probably said myself, but i was gladly proven wrong.  :gotigers

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #828 on: September 06, 2018, 10:48:21 AM »
 :cheers :thumbsup
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #829 on: September 06, 2018, 12:32:18 PM »
We were the laughing stock of the competition and football community for 35 years.

We were stupid to trade in Prestia for pick 6, should have spent it on quality talent and development as our current crop were over the hill.

We had a soft drawer that allowed to us finish top 4; but would go out in straight sets.

And the media have the gall to accuse US of having our cake and eating it too....

Welcome to Tigerland Tom, hope you look back on it as the smartest decision you ever made.

Don't forget "the look of the game" is in ruins and needs to be fixed now we're premiers while Hawthorn chipping it around on their way to three straight flags was awesome and Sydney's rolling mauls were just part of their great "Bloods culture"....... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Dont Argue

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #830 on: September 06, 2018, 12:42:06 PM »

1 or 2 of those i probably said myself, but i was gladly proven wrong.  :gotigers

Think you said all of them!  :lol

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #831 on: September 06, 2018, 12:47:16 PM »
Seriously... How good is life. 
Unleash the tornado

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #832 on: September 06, 2018, 01:50:27 PM »

Think you said all of them!  :lol

haha funny but just the first 2
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #833 on: September 06, 2018, 02:05:28 PM »

Great post, dougey  :clapping.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #834 on: September 06, 2018, 02:29:51 PM »
Suns still in the dark on Lynch's future plans

Michael Whiting
afl.com.au
Sep 6, 2018

GOLD Coast is in the dark about Tom Lynch's future and club officials believe he could still end up at any of the three Melbourne clubs pursuing him.

Reports surfaced on Wednesday night that Lynch's management had told both Collingwood and Hawthorn to chase other trade targets as the free agent forward had decided to go to Richmond.

However, Gold Coast is none the wiser.

The Suns believe Lynch will tell them of his decision – and make it public – once the team he has chosen has been eliminated from the finals.

Gold Coast is believed to be offering more money than any of the Tigers, Hawks or Magpies, but with all three teams in the top four, success is a primary motivator for the key forward.

The Suns can match any offer made for Lynch and force a trade, but are expected to accept the AFL's compensation pick, which at this stage will likely be pick three in the 2018 NAB AFL Draft.

Following some initial animosity after Lynch told the playing group late in the season he would be exploring free agency, both parties now seem amicable.

Lynch attended Gold Coast's best and fairest award on Saturday night, won by Jarrod Harbrow.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-06/suns-still-in-the-dark-on-lynchs-future-plans

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #835 on: September 06, 2018, 03:43:33 PM »
AFL figures debate merits of free agency after Tom Lynch's likely move to Richmond

September 6, 2018
Matt Balmer
FOX SPORTS

TOM Lynch’s likely decision to nominate Richmond as his next home has sparked a debate over the merits of the free agency system.

Lynch, the Gold Coast Suns captain, has chosen Richmond as his club of choice according to reports, with the star forward set to join the Tigers during the 2018 off-season.

The 25-year-old free agent could walk straight to Richmond, who may have won back-to-back premierships by the time Lynch arrives at Punt Road, which doesn’t sit well with former AFL players and AFL figures.

“First things first, that’s an unbelievable get by Richmond. We’ve all been thinking that anyway, for many many months,” Mark Robinson said on AFL 360 on Wednesday.

“We had Jack (Riewoldt) here last night, he could’ve given us a wink wink, but he’s sort of been playing funny buggers on the Tom Lynch story for the last couple of months now Jack.

“A player like him going to one of the best teams in the competition, it improves them no end — now heightened discussion and you can start it now Gerard (Whateley). Should last year’s premier and possibly this year’s premiers be able to pick up one of the best players in the competition under free agency, is that the system that we want?”

AFL 360 co-host Gerard Whateley agreed, suggesting it was not the reason the model was brought in to the AFL.

“What I know is that it’s not how free agency was conceived, it’s not how it was sold and not how it was implemented,” Whateley said.

“It was absolutely inevitable that this was going to be the outcome, as it has been everywhere around the world.”

Robinson explained that Lynch was likely to be paid “about a million dollars’ per season”, while Whateley suggested that Richmond had done “a couple of years of planning” to bring the power forward to Tigerland.

Former Port Adelaide premiership player Kane Cornes argued on Sportsday SA that it wasn’t “fair” that Lynch could walk from the 17th placed Suns to possible back-to-back premiers Richmond.

“How Tom Lynch can leave the Gold Coast Suns for a team like the Richmond Football Club in free agency just isn’t fair.” Cornes said.

Former St Kilda Grant Thomas tweeted that it was “a classic example of City Hall buffoonery” by allowing a star player to move to a strong club under free agency.

“Here’s a classic example of City Hall buffoonery. Tom Lynch says he’s going to Tigers. Shock horror!” Thomas tweeted.

“Where else would a star player go who’s starved of the holy grail — premiership?! AFL are so damn stupid it’s insane. They produce a system to equalise but it imbalances. Classic!”

Western Bulldogs great Bob Murphy suggested that there would be many players questioning how the Tigers could bring Lynch into their club.

“I remember being at the bad end of a year for the Dogs and the news came through that Buddy’s gone to the Swans,” Murphy said on AFL 360.

“I remember sitting at the kitchen bench and it’s almost like ‘what can you do? What’s the point? We’re battling, we’re trying to pay the salary cap and the Swans can get Buddy for nine years’.

“I can just imagine there’s a whole generation of players that sat there today going ‘the Tigers can get Tom Lynch?’

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-figures-debate-merits-of-free-agency-after-tom-lynchs-likely-move-to-richmond/news-story/9c58fdef43988d9f88f3c1132d0bc010

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #836 on: September 06, 2018, 04:51:07 PM »
Malcom Blight said it right this morning on SEN- all teams will have their turn when they are one of the better teams. Things change in footy pretty quickly.
We have worked hard to be here and Lynch has done more than his time at the Suns, he deserves to choose whoever he likes.

FA was never meant to be fair for the AFL and the clubs, it was designed to reward a loyal player who had earned the right to choose his future.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #837 on: September 06, 2018, 05:01:16 PM »
Former Port Adelaide premiership player Kane Cornes argued on Sportsday SA that it wasn’t “fair” that Lynch could walk from the 17th placed Suns to possible back-to-back premiers Richmond.

“How Tom Lynch can leave the Gold Coast Suns for a team like the Richmond Football Club in free agency just isn’t fair.” Cornes said.
It's not as though Gold Coast gets nothing in return, Kane. The Suns do get a very good compensation pick 3 in return because they are a bottom club and their first round pick is early in the draft. The rules put their compo pick straight after this early first round pick. A top club in the exact same scenario wouldn't get their compo pick until pick 19 or thereabouts.   

Former St Kilda Grant Thomas tweeted that it was “a classic example of City Hall buffoonery” by allowing a star player to move to a strong club under free agency.

“Here’s a classic example of City Hall buffoonery. Tom Lynch says he’s going to Tigers. Shock horror!” Thomas tweeted.

“Where else would a star player go who’s starved of the holy grail — premiership?! AFL are so damn stupid it’s insane. They produce a system to equalise but it imbalances. Classic!”
The same Grant Thomas that said post-GF last year that we were worst premiership side in history :sleep.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #838 on: September 06, 2018, 06:12:04 PM »
He didn't actually say that about us and is always very complimentary but whatever
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #839 on: September 06, 2018, 06:15:29 PM »
He didn't actually say that about us and is always very complimentary but whatever
He did. Then he said what an unbelievable job Hardwick did to win it.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.