Author Topic: Off-season a bygone era for Richmond Tigers (Herald-Sun)  (Read 4737 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Off-season a bygone era for Richmond Tigers (Herald-Sun)
« on: November 18, 2011, 01:54:45 AM »
Off-season a bygone era for Richmond Tigers

by: Matt Windley
    November 18, 2011

THE players are back for pre-season but really most players never left.

The days of playing hard on the field during the winter and just as hard off it during the summer appear gone.

Skin folds are measured, training sessions programmed and injury rehabilitation completed.

And that's before clubs "officially" return from their eight-week break.

Richmond's David Astbury took one week off after Round 24 and then returned to Punt Rd for daily rehab on his injured knee, while fellow Tigers defender Dylan Grimes was reluctant to take the foot off the pedal after recovering from a serious mid-year hamstring injury.

"The staff at Richmond still put a pretty extensive program together," Grimes said.

"They marked out our movements on a GPS watch so every session we did was in there so they had a pretty close eye on who was doing the work and obviously players who missed out on some (sessions)."

There was no way to shirk it, Astbury said.

"We've got these watches on that track every program and once it's completed it's emailed through to the guys back at the club," Astbury said.

"You need to make sure that you're in touch with the physios or the fitness staff if you've got a niggle."

Grimes said each player's program was different.

"They upload all of these sessions on to your watch for you and when it comes time for you to do a run - which this year for me was Monday, Wednesday and Friday, with other training in between - it would come up with the session you needed to get done throughout the day," Grimes said.

"You had a 24-hour gap to get the job done. If you didn't get it done then you had to email the coach and let him know why it wasn't done and arrange for a time to get it back on the watch."

So is Big Brother always watching?

"In a way, but there's a lot of trust around the club and there has to be at sporting clubs," Grimes said.

"Players know that the work is just as important as the actual pre-season is. It's a pretty important stepping stone, because when you come back on October 31st we're expected to be ready to train and get back in to the swing of things.

"There's no time for catch-up really after the off-season."

Astbury did head to Vietnam for two weeks while Grimes also managed to sneak in a trip to Thailand.

But even on holiday the work never stopped.

Asked if he minded that his time off was basically spent working, Astbury reasoned that it was force of habit.

"You're allocated those eight weeks after the season and it's important that you go away and you're not in at the club every day," Astbury said.

"But I think, a lot of the guys if you ask them, the majority would say if they weren't expected to do anything then they would anyway. So to have a bit of a protocol to go by, a lot of the blokes find it very helpful.

"If you're a bit sore or whatever and you get in touch with the fitness staff they're absolutely fine (if you miss a session) and they recommend you not to do it because you've got six months of training before you go back to Round 1.

"It's just important that you maintain a little bit of routine."

Grimes said body composition tests were done after their last game of the season and again on the first day of pre-season "so they get a pretty good indication of who's been eating the right foods and who hasn't".

And while Grimes said "that definitely sticks in the back of your mind in the off-season", Astbury said "blowouts" weren't totally off the table.

"I guess if you're doing your training in the off-season it is a time where you can indulge a little bit," he said.

"I don't think it's as strict as it might be during the actual pre-season."

One feature of early pre-season training sessions across the board has been the prevalence of footballs from Day 1.

And while to an outsider the thought of honing skills for a season that does not start until the last weekend of March might seem odd, Grimes says it is a necessity.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/off-season-a-bygone-era-for-richmond-tigers/story-e6frf9jf-1226198339493

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Off-season a bygone era for Richmond Tigers (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2011, 02:10:45 AM »
The Herald-Sun has a few pics as well: [Pictures: Colleen Petch]

Bachar Houli runs the Anderson st hill       
On the comeback trail from a dislocated kneecap, David Astbury is diligent in his recovery including plenty of time in the pool.

Brett Deledio runs the Anderson st hill
David Astbury yells at Angus Graham to hit harder during a spar session inside the humidity room

Dylan Grimes with a hand eye co ordination drill of juggling a golf ball with a hammer.
Matt White high fives teammates as they walk past after a heavy session

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/gallery-e6frf9o6-1226198418946?page=1

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2011, 08:06:14 AM »
David Astbury is telling him to "GO ALL IN!!"
Astbury looks a good size now
And Lids looked pumped
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2011, 08:20:13 AM »
David Astbury yells at Angus Graham to hit harder

Isn't that what the sheila said to him when he told her to go all in?
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

dwaino

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2011, 10:17:55 AM »
I've admired Hawthorn's fitness monitoring the past few years, sounds like we're going down their path.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2011, 10:33:49 AM »
Have never understood the love for Astbury.. He hasn't done anything so far.. Hopefully he will step up to the plate in 2012.
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

gerkin greg

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2011, 11:03:52 AM »
kid came in and showed neat skills, composure, and a basic understanding of how to go about it

he also plays for Richmond

what's not to love?

FWIW I don't expect him to hit his straps for another year or two, still a baby KPP

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2011, 11:09:34 AM »
kid came in and showed neat skills, composure, and a basic understanding of how to go about it

he also plays for Richmond

what's not to love?

FWIW I don't expect him to hit his straps for another year or two, still a baby KPP

Grimes showed something almost straight away, Astbury not so much. Do you think hes a forward or back?
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

gerkin greg

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2011, 11:30:54 AM »
Astbury's 1st season was every bit as good as Grimes'.

Dave should have had a rising star nom in there, think he had like 21 touches, 15 kicks and took 9 marks against the Pies. To me that's showing SOMETHING. Incidentally I didn't really rate his 3 goals on debut.

He put in a pretty consistant couple of months for an 18yr old key position once he got going in 2010. Somewhat quite achiever, he just looked capable at the level, not saying he'll be a star but should develop into a solid performer. That's enough to at least get some enjoyment out of as a supporter. He's not a player I get excited about but I think there is something to look forward to there.

I think he's a defender, gets more of the ball down there, but that could be because it's always down there  ;D

dwaino

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2011, 12:47:14 PM »
Astbury also works really hard and has a tops work ethic going by how much he has been in Richmond news lately. I love his moment talking to Newy in the B&F video too. Top character to go on what he shown since debut. Future leader. He has tanked up quite considerably by the looks of things. But I think the fellas were hitting the weights hard over the break and I'll reckon they'll lean up a bit as the preseason training goes up a gear. Still, it's all no good if it can't be translated onto the footy field.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2011, 01:24:30 PM »
A few more pics:

Andrew Browne and Trent Cotchin do a session of boxing.
Dylan Grimes takes part in a session on the field.

Dustin Martin gets a handpass away during a training drill. 
Brett Deledio feels the pinch after running the Anderson St hill.

David Astbury holds Angus Graham down while he does a push-up during a sparring session in the humidity room.
On the comeback trail from a dislocated kneecap, David Astbury is diligent in his recovery including plenty of time in the pool.

Dylan Grimes makes himself a protein shake after a heavy session
David Astbury has an extra boxing session.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/gallery-e6frf9o6-1226198418946?page=14

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2011, 02:13:22 PM »
Have never understood the love for Astbury.. He hasn't done anything so far.

lol.......clearly didn't watch much of his first aeason! Austbury had a way better debut season than grimes. Least Austbury can take a contested mark.....

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2011, 10:42:50 PM »
Gee, Astbury looks like he has bulked up a hell of a lot!   :gotigers

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2011, 12:23:08 AM »
What does the orange vest mean?

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2011, 04:18:54 AM »
ASTBURY looks like something from the WWF
Go Tigers!