Author Topic: Richmond won't rush Ben Cousins and Trent Cotchin (Herald-Sun)  (Read 313 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond Tigers won't rush Ben Cousins and Trent Cotchin
Jon Ralph | April 28, 2009

RICHMOND will resist the temptation to throw midfielders Ben Cousins and Trent Cotchin into the fray against Sydney, with both to play for VFL side Coburg.

Tigers star Matthew Richardson is also no certainty to face the Swans.

He is nursing a strained glute muscle from the win against North Melbourne.

Cousins will play his first game in 44 days, but with the Tigers seeking to restrict his game time, he was never a realistic chance against Sydney.

Cotchin lacks match fitness and played only 50 minutes for Coburg on Saturday, but may face the Brisbane Lions at the MCG in Round 7.

Richardson said yesterday he hoped to play, and could carry the muscle injury into the game.

"I am not ruling out playing this week, we just have to see how it pulls up," he said.

Richmond coach Terry Wallace has bemoaned the lack of a settled side and faces more selection quandaries for Sunday's game at the SCG.

Running defender Andrew Raines is a strong chance to return after a week in the VFL, while ruckman Troy Simmonds pushed his case with three goals, 23 disposals, and 27 effective hitouts for Coburg.

Kayne Pettifer, in his second game back from a knee reconstruction, had 40 possessions in the VFL reserves and will likely play for Coburg seniors this week.

Richmond's head of football Craig Cameron said the club was determined not to rush Cousins back.

"We won't know until later in the week but the plan is for him to play at Coburg," Cameron said. "We want to make sure he's fully fit and we want to control his game time. It's easier to do it in the VFL."

Cousins told Nova radio yesterday he was being guided by the club's medical staff.

"I will be playing somewhere next week," Cousins said.

"I could have played on the weekend, they just decided to take the conservative approach, which is the right one for me. It is a long year and I can't afford to go down again.

"(Cotchin) is a young guy that's been struck down with a fair bit of injury, but among the guys he's held in high regard.

"He got through a half of footy, so it's not impossible (we'll) be playing together in the VFL. I have already told him, 'I will be getting around you to feed it out to me'. I need someone to help me look good."

Cousins said the gloom had lifted at Richmond.

"It was great to see the boys play some really good footy and to go in the rooms and see the joy on their faces and relief," he said.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25396659-19742,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Richmond won't rush Ben Cousins and Trent Cotchin (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 06:29:39 AM »
Tigers opt not to risk Cousins against Swans
Jesse Hogan and Brent Diamond | The Age | April 28, 2009

BEN COUSINS' return to football this weekend, for VFL side Coburg, will be monitored by a large contingent of Richmond's medical staff in a bid to prevent a recurrence of his hamstring injury.

The Tigers have decided to bring their prized recruit back through their VFL affiliate club, instead of at the SCG against the Swans, so officials can more easily control the 30-year-old's playing time.

Coburg host Casey Scorpions on Saturday, which will be just over five weeks since Cousins tore his hamstring in Richmond's round-one loss to Carlton. He is likely to be joined by young Richmond teammate Trent Cotchin, who played about half of the match in the VFL at the weekend but is lacking the fitness needed to return to senior football after an Achilles injury.

Richmond were boosted yesterday by scans which cleared veteran Matthew Richardson of any significant damage to his calf. Richardson was sidelined for much of the Tigers' win over North Melbourne on Saturday night but could still play against Sydney on Sunday, depending on tests later in the week.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/tigers-opt-not-to-risk-cousins-against-swans/2009/04/27/1240684404923.html