Author Topic: AFL and Jounalists  (Read 1074 times)

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
AFL and Jounalists
« on: February 15, 2013, 10:39:02 PM »
Players, coaches and fans of AFL have been charged with bringing the game of AFL into disrepute.
Such people have been suspended and fined by the AFL and barred from games.
Surely journalists who circle the AFL clubs, players and personalities looking for stories, and seem to produce atrticles with no care of their consequences, also have a care of duty. So called creditable journalists are keen to be the first to break a story, often incorrectly. I would hate one of these stories to cause problems for clubs, players or families to the extent that players may be linked to depression or a worst case scenario, suicide.
As journalists are reporting on AFL and the AFL seems to have almost total control over their brand, I put it to Andrew Demetriou that should journalists be found to be writing unsubstantiated claims and stories either slanderous and libellious in nature which are proven to be unfounded that those journalist be prevented from entering AFL games or writing about AFL players, clubs or topics in the public arena on the premise that they are bringing the game (of AFL) into disrepute.

Offline Bengal

• Premiership Captain
  • Its Tiger Time
Re: AFL and Jounalists
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2013, 12:44:36 AM »
i dont believe in censorship..  i also dont believe everything i read

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2013, 12:17:31 PM »
I just think something needs to be done to stop irresponsible reporting and the hyena like structure which currently exists

tony_montana

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2013, 01:11:15 PM »
I agree with your line of thought mintonlamb. There is no accountability in this industry.

Come out and make headline grabbing staements and opinions, be proven to be completely wrong, no worries! simply move on to the next issue without sufferring any consequences. No regard for the stress/turmoil caused to the individuals and club... What a job!  ::)

I wish clubs and players had the balls to stand up to journos/papers that made life hard for them and refuse to answer any questions or requests for interviews. Mario Balotelli did this to the Sun newspaper in a press conference recently, was gold. If more did it and gave their opposition more airtime surely this would impact and hurt them where it counts? But in todays PC society people are too scared to buck the trend.

Offline Rodgerramjet

• OER - CONTRIBUTOR
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Never cast pearls before swine.
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 12:21:46 PM »

There is most certainly a legitimate time and place for censorship. I would like you to go off and administer a forum or publication and then come back and tell us you are of the same frame of mind.
The lips of Wisdom are closed, except to the ears of Understanding.

Offline Go Richo 12

• Richmond tragic, bleeding heart, hopeless cricketer and terrible fisherman.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 01:19:25 PM »
I believe it is a suppression of freedom of speech. As posted by someone earlier, Bengal perhaps, you must read these articles with a healthy dose of scepticism. Also, if the journos write a defamatory story then there is accountability via the civil court process. I am also not so certain who is more responsible for these atricles, the jouno or the editor? Or to be the devil's advocate, is it the general public's taste for scandal and gossip that is the true cause as to why these articles are written. At the end of the day, if we did'nt read it or believe it then it would never get written.

Ox

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 01:53:02 PM »

AFL media is censored
« Last Edit: February 17, 2013, 02:42:41 PM by one-eyed »

Ox

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2013, 01:58:25 PM »
monopoly.

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2013, 01:59:17 PM »
I believe it is a suppression of freedom of speech. As posted by someone earlier, Bengal perhaps, you must read these articles with a healthy dose of scepticism. Also, if the journos write a defamatory story then there is accountability via the civil court process. I am also not so certain who is more responsible for these atricles, the jouno or the editor? Or to be the devil's advocate, is it the general public's taste for scandal and gossip that is the true cause as to why these articles are written. At the end of the day, if we did'nt read it or believe it then it would never get written.

And then you end up getting mediocrity.
Lower the standards and things gets dumbed down GR12
Standards are almost  always set by those in charge.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Ox

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2013, 02:14:14 PM »
Do u not find it odd that the only stories deemed worth "breaking" are the stories of one breaking laws of sorts, be they within the rules of the game or otherwise.

The second most popular type of story is the Injury.

I think its what we want.....

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2013, 02:33:26 PM »
I don't agree with what you say - but I will fight to the death to defend your right to say it.

Ox

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2013, 02:45:26 PM »
It comes down to what Geez would do.