Author Topic: ‘Richmond waterboy’ gets under Mason Cox’s skin (News.com.au)  (Read 1030 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
‘Richmond waterboy’ gets under Mason Cox’s skin

Collingwood’s Mason Cox was getting amongst it in the pre-season match on Friday, labelling a three-time premiership winner “a Richmond waterboy”.

Andrew McMurtry
news.com.au
MARCH 6, 2021 4:44PM

Collingwood Magpies forward Mason Cox has come out swinging on Twitter after a relatively heated pre-season match against the Richmond Tigers on Friday night.

Cox was in the thick of the action and it meant the Tigers were all over him throughout the match.

The 2.11m American had a strong game with three goals but it wasn’t enough as the defending champs won 11.14 (80) to 11.8 (74).

While the result meant little as it’s just a pre-season clash and the final hit out before the season began, no one told Cox or the Richmond players he had a running battle with all night.

And Cox took to Twitter to continue the battle.

Quote from: Mason Cox
For those asking. In the third quarter a Richmond waterboy decided to get lippy.

I took that personally and returned the favour.

https://twitter.com/masonsixtencox/status/1367986651511672833

It appeared to really heat up just before the end of the third quarter when Mabior Chol gave away a free kick when he gave the Magpie a small push in the back.

Cox then kicked his second goal of the game with 33 seconds left but he made special notice to get up in Chol’s face and give him a bump.

But the rest of the Tigers, led by Dustin Martin and Jack Riewoldt from the other end of the field got into some pushing and shoving.

”You don’t often see this in the practice matches,” Jonathan Brown said in commentary.

“He ran into Chol right after he kicked the goal,” Garry Lyon added. “He got very lippy as he tends to do.”

While there were plenty of players joining in, Cox clearly took exception to Riewoldt.

It started when Martin bumped into him, when Riewoldt showed up, but the feeling wasn’t done as the Tigers got the ball going straight up the other end.

While he wasn’t involved in the play, Cox was on the mark and let Riewoldt know about it.

Riewoldt missed the kick but it didn’t stop the chatter in the middle as pair went at it.

While it looked to have simmered down a little, halfway through the final quarter Cox got Riewoldt in what the commentators called a “coathanger”.

“That was a delayed free kick for someone who had his head ripped off,” Lyon said. “He went after Jack too.”

“One from the memory bank late in that third quarter Gaz?” Brown added.

“I think we’re seeing another side of big Mason, which is not such a bad thing, making himself known,” Lyon added.

At the end of the game, Cox laughed off the clash.

“I think we’re all excited to be back playing footy to be honest,” Cox told Fox Footy.

“I always love a bit of chirp here and there and after a few there was a bit going back and forth and a few guys in the forward line decided to come back and give me a bit of lip. It’s always in good fun and it’s just enjoyable.

“It’s a pre-season game, but it’s good fun. At the end of the day you shake hands and I think this is what footy is about. I think it’s okay. On the field you can talk trash, but once it’s done everyone is friends.”

But now we’ll have to wait until round 17 to see if this is resolved. July 10 – put it in your diaries.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-waterboy-gets-under-mason-coxs-skin/news-story/7878d5b0ab25b1c134e3847502149fe0

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: ‘Richmond waterboy’ gets under Mason Cox’s skin (News.com.au)
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2021, 07:14:38 PM »
Cox mouths off in a practice match are being gifted a charity free kick in front of the sticks and he wonders why he copped some lip in return  :wallywink.

What was Chol meant to do when Cox is running back into him? Chol didn't move and you are allowed now to use your hands to brace. The no hands in the back rule was abolished a couple of years ago.

Bet Jack and Dusty told one game wonder Cox that a BS free was the only way he was going to get a kick :yep.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2021, 09:20:30 AM »
Lol.

Bit doofus throwing his weight around in a pre-season game, bagging a modern great, triple premiership, triple coleman, future hall of fame legend.

No wonder the pies can't win a flag...

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2021, 10:10:14 AM »
What a stuffwit

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2021, 12:03:18 PM »
Well, he’s just opened himself up to the rest of the AFL’s waterboys to be getting lippy to put him off his game.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.