Author Topic: Life really sucks  (Read 3768 times)

Moi

Life really sucks
« on: May 05, 2006, 07:42:16 PM »
The little brave and beautiful girl in that primary school accident in Sydney who got all those burns, Sophie Delezio, has just been struck by a car and is in a critical condition in hospital.
Praying for her and her family  :pray

Ox

Re: Life really sucks
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2006, 08:09:28 PM »
How the hell did it happen ?

The child is flat out getting around so how did she end up in the situation in the first place?

:'(

Moi

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 08:11:44 PM »

SOPHIE Delezio is on life support in a Sydney hospital after being struck by a car this afternoon, a senior doctor says.

Father Ron Delezio said his, who was horrifically injured when a car crashed into her daycare centre in 2003, was struck by a small sedan this afternoon.

The five-year-old was being pushed across a pedestrian crossing on Frenchs Forest Road in Seaforth, in Sydney's north, when her push chair was struck about 4pm (AEST).

Sophie was airlifted to Sydney Children's Hospital, where acting executive director Dr Michael Brydon tonight said she had suffered significant injuries.

"She is very critical, she is on life support, and she is being very well managed from a pain point of view," Dr Brydon told reporters outside the hospital in Randwick.

"At this stage, it is a little bit early to tell you the extent of them (her injuries) but she certainly has head injuries and chest injuries which are quite significant.

"She has had a very significant injury and we are worried about her. Her condition has not stabilised."

Dr Brydon said her burns injuries from 2003 were complicating the medical team's efforts to assess her new injuries.

"Certainly, a little girl with injuries of her magnitude will certainly complicate her assessment and we're watching those and getting further information from Westmead (hospital)," he said.

Hospital staff, like much of the country, were left shocked by Sophie's accident, Dr Brydon said.

"I think this has rocked the whole of NSW, the whole country," he said.

"I think it's just a major blow to us all.

"The team that are looking after her are doing their darnedest to make sure she makes it another recovery."

Sophie's distraught mother Carolyn had asked people to pray for her little girl as police rushed her into the emergency department earlier tonight.

Lana Edser heard the mother's plea and took her daughters Jessica, four, and Lili, seven, to the hospital to begin a candlelight vigil.

Ms Edser, who lives nearby, said she did not know the Delezio family but felt sick to the stomach when she heard of the accident.

"I thought I would come and light a candle and say a prayer and hope for a miracle," she said.

"I thought of my own little girls. I'm not the most religious person in the world but the only way this poor child is going to come through is if everyone prays.

"I hope a lot more people will come and do the same thing."

The hospital said it had already received thousands of calls from people offering prayers and messages of support.

http://www.couriermail.news.com.au/story/0,20797,19037395-5003402,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 05:22:36 AM »
Life can be cruel to some people. No one should have to go through that much pain and suffering. Just horrible news :'(.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ox

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 02:19:47 PM »
That Geez dude was so full of crap......

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 01:26:27 PM »
Locals have been complaining about that crossing for Ages. I used to work near there a few years ago and even I had a close call there once or twice. It's 4 lanes across and for some reason boneheads in the second lane keep going even when someone in the first lane has stopped to let you cross. They need traffic lights pronto! It was an absolute tradgedy but I can see how it happened. Maybe someone might actually do something about it now.

Moi

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2006, 03:08:27 PM »
Is there anyone tougher than this kid?  Nah.  Good luck, Sophie  :thumbsup

WITH a shy smile and a courageous wave, five-year-old burns survivor Sophie Delezio has again amazed the nation as she walked out of hospital today.

Holding hands with her parents, Sophie walked out of Sydney Children's Hospital today, almost five weeks after being run down by a car on a pedestrian crossing at Seaforth, on Sydney's north shore.

Less than three years ago, the determined youngster survived another car accident that forced the amputation of both her feet and left her with burns to 85 per cent of body.

Dressed in a pink fairy dress for her much-anticipated homecoming, Sophie's smile belied weeks of intensive and painful treatment.

"She can't wait to be with her family again," Sophie's father Ron Delezio said outside the hospital.

"She can't wait to get back to school. It's such a thrill for her to go to school and live like a normal child, and have friends and play.

"She really can't wait to get back there."

A month ago, the Delezio family was again contemplating losing Sophie. They had been through the same ordeal in December 2003, after a car ploughed into their daughter's childcare centre.

This time, she spent 10 days in a medically induced coma to allow her to recover from multiple injuries, including rib fractures, a broken jaw and bruising to her heart and brain.

About two weeks ago she had the 31st operation of her short life – a painful skin graft to repair damage to her scalp.

"A lot of people think that we might be the most unlucky family in the world with two accidents, but I like to think the other way, that we're probably the luckiest parents alive today with having Sophie survive a second accident," Mr Delezio said.

"She is a happy girl. She gets all these presents, she's in her element (in hospital)."

Which was a good thing, Mr Delezio said, warning of many more hospital trips to come.

"We need sort out the back of her head first," he said.

"At the moment there is a two inch hole there where there is just skull showing."

Sophie's pediatrician Jonny Taitz said she had been "an absolute delight".

"She is an incredible five-year-old girl who has defied the odds not once, but twice," he said.

Dr Taitz thanked the hospital's "unsung heroes", saying that for all of them Sophie's return home "was the best bit".

Within 48 hours of her second accident, Sophie had received 1500 messages of support from people in 31 countries, and 400 cards, presents and letters arrived at the hospital for her on a daily basis.

Prime Minister John Howard today said all Australians marvelled at "the courage of that lovely little girl".

"She sadly was a victim but gee, she is an inspiration to all of us."

New South Wales Premier Morris Iemma said Sophie had "captured the hearts of an entire nation with her courage and determination".

The family would not have weathered the ordeal without the support of the public, Mr Delezio said.

"Thanks again to all of Australia. You have made us feel very special."

But there was one more favour he wanted to ask: "When you do see people like Sophie out there, with any disability or any differences, please give them a smile, say hello to them, make them feel like they are citizens of our country."

http://www.sundaytimes.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,7034,19403761%255E421,00.html