Author Topic: Free Agent Targets 2016  (Read 13692 times)

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
Re: Free Agent Targets 2016
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2015, 02:39:02 PM »
Gold cocaine fc kids up for grabs?

Z smith, c Dixon pls

And Congo

No to Dixon. Not versatile/ fit enough to play in our current structure (like how Vickery was CHF pushing up - note how many third man ups) or Griffiths playing primarily through the wings and through the backline vs. Sydney. Dixon couldn't do that. Its why the three tall forward line seems to be working fairly reasonably.

Would rather Kreuzer over Smith. Again, versatility.

I'd play Dixon chb

Peptide enthusiasts
Dixon
Reid

Anyone
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Jobba

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2015, 02:43:07 PM »

Z smith, c Dixon pls

And Congo

No to Dixon. Not versatile/ fit enough to play in our current structure (like how Vickery was CHF pushing up - note how many third man ups) or Griffiths playing primarily through the wings and through the backline vs. Sydney. Dixon couldn't do that. Its why the three tall forward line seems to be working fairly reasonably.

I'd play Dixon chb

Peptide enthusiasts
Dixon
Reid

Anyone

We need a CHB? I kinda of get the whole upgrade on Chaplin stuff, but not for the money that Dixon seems to be potentially getting I wouldn't want him to play a position he isn't suited for. Also, we have more obvious holes than a CHB.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2015, 11:06:16 AM »

Z smith, c Dixon pls

And Congo

I'd play Dixon chb

Peptide enthusiasts
Dixon
Reid

Anyone

We need a CHB? I kinda of get the whole upgrade on Chaplin stuff, but not for the money that Dixon seems to be potentially getting I wouldn't want him to play a position he isn't suited for. Also, we have more obvious holes than a CHB.

What are they

I'd say key defenders is not a strong point

Should of keep Darrou
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline Jobba

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #48 on: July 01, 2015, 11:27:56 AM »

Z smith, c Dixon pls

And Congo

I'd play Dixon chb

Peptide enthusiasts
Dixon
Reid

Anyone

What are they

Should of keep Darrou

Id say another quality inside mid. A small crumbing forward. Another half back flanker. And a back up ruck maybe. We also have Astbury and Elton who can play CHB

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #49 on: July 01, 2015, 09:54:11 PM »
Barrett said tonight, Jaeger O'Meara is considering his future as early as the end of this year (he's contracted until 2016) and he has bought a property in Melbourne.

Day, Gorringe and Dixon are the other Suns most believe will be leaving Gold Coast at the end of the season to move to new clubs.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #50 on: July 01, 2015, 10:10:28 PM »
O'Meara would be a massive get. Future superstar and then some.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 11:06:36 PM by Diocletian »
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #51 on: July 01, 2015, 11:03:33 PM »
O'Meara would be a massive get. Future superstar and then some.

yep that's a move I'd be ecstatic about  :thumbsup
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #52 on: July 01, 2015, 11:17:09 PM »
Only concern is his knees...two really bad injuries within six months, second one put him out for the entire season.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #53 on: July 02, 2015, 12:07:59 AM »
Only concern is his knees...two really bad injuries within six months, second one put him out for the entire season.

This concerns me too. And it's a chronic issue that will never fully heal.

Looks a gun though...

dwaino

« Reply #54 on: July 02, 2015, 10:06:40 AM »
You'd still surely have to take a punt on him if you could though.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #55 on: July 02, 2015, 12:16:17 PM »

Z smith, c Dixon pls

And Congo

I'd play Dixon chb

Peptide enthusiasts
Dixon
Reid

Anyone

What are they

Should of keep Darrou

Id say another quality inside mid. A small crumbing forward. Another half back flanker. And a back up ruck maybe. We also have Astbury and Elton who can play CHB

Good post

But I would say they are two different questions

1. What do we most need to improve best 22

2.  What do we need overall for list

For example, we are ok for this moment in time for rucks. But in the mid-long term future we need rucks.

Currently, I would say the two weakest spots in the 22 are Grigg ad Chaplin. Newman is questionable too. Hunt needs to pull the finger out

Jake the needle carlise would strengthen us significantly if he was played played in the back along side rance, grimes. Vlastuin

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #56 on: July 02, 2015, 12:48:32 PM »
You'd still surely have to take a punt on him if you could though.

Yep certainly would

Far too much upside not to take a punt
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Jobba

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #57 on: July 02, 2015, 01:44:23 PM »

Z smith, c Dixon pls

And Congo

I'd play Dixon chb

Peptide enthusiasts
Dixon
Reid

Anyone

What are they

Should of keep Darrou

Good post

For example, we are ok for this moment in time for rucks. But in the mid-long term future we need rucks.

Currently, I would say the two weakest spots in the 22 are Grigg ad Chaplin. Newman is questionable too. Hunt needs to pull the finger out

Jake the needle carlise would strengthen us significantly if he was played played in the back along side rance, grimes. Vlastuin

I wouldn't say they are the two 'weakest' spots. Grigg has played quite well this season, as has Chaplin. And the reality is that in todays modern game, 1v1 is very hard to win if your a key back. See Rance v Franklin first half with no mid-pressure and then compare it to the second half. As I said before too, Astbury and Elton are already there.

Notwithstanding, the weakest parts I see in our game is a second half back flank comparable to Houli. We play 7 backs traditionally, and Vlastuin is usually that player. When he can zone of his man he so much more effective. Your 7th usually is a midfielder, someone who can push up and forward depending on the forward structure of the opposition. The forward structure of the Swans was a main reason why Vlastuin was able to have so much impact as that 7th defender. A second half back flanker would ensure that Vlastuin (or the like) would have a lot more freedom to take this role. There was some talk of possibly Conca playing through this position (could work). Ultimately, Vlastuin (with a better tank) will be a midfielder anyway.

The second is probably a crumbing forward who can kick goals and apply defensive pressure. A Walters/ Gartlett/ Ballantyne type. Morris was okay for pressure, poor for goals. Shed is a gun clearance player. Maybe it could be Dan Butler? Who knows.

The other key with list depth for me is our younger players. Lets not forget Mennadue, Butler, Drummond, McBean, Castangna, McKenzie. McDonough and Short all of whom (bar Butler - who wasn't bad v the Dogs in NAB 1) have shown something.  A few more years in our system, and there is no reason why these players cant strengthen the depth of the squad. We still have Conca, CEllis possibly even Knights to come back in and add depth to our list.

Where we are at, I think we need a bit more x factor or class. I'd love Motlop. I'd love Dangerfield. I am a huge fan of Carlise, and there is no question he would help us, but I don't see CHB being the biggest problem for us in either skill or depth. 

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2015, 01:55:59 PM »

Z smith, c Dixon pls

And Congo

I'd play Dixon chb

Peptide enthusiasts
Dixon
Reid

Anyone

What are they

Should of keep Darrou

Good post

I wouldn't say they are the two 'weakest' spots. Grigg has played quite well this season, as has Chaplin. And the reality is that in todays modern game, 1v1 is very hard to win if your a key back. See Rance v Franklin first half with no mid-pressure and then compare it to the second half. As I said before too, Astbury and Elton are already there.

Notwithstanding, the weakest parts I see in our game is a second half back flank comparable to Houli. We play 7 backs traditionally, and Vlastuin is usually that player. When he can zone of his man he so much more effective. Your 7th usually is a midfielder, someone who can push up and forward depending on the forward structure of the opposition. The forward structure of the Swans was a main reason why Vlastuin was able to have so much impact as that 7th defender. A second half back flanker would ensure that Vlastuin (or the like) would have a lot more freedom to take this role. There was some talk of possibly Conca playing through this position (could work). Ultimately, Vlastuin (with a better tank) will be a midfielder anyway.

The second is probably a crumbing forward who can kick goals and apply defensive pressure. A Walters/ Gartlett/ Ballantyne type. Morris was okay for pressure, poor for goals. Shed is a gun clearance player. Maybe it could be Dan Butler? Who knows.

The other key with list depth for me is our younger players. Lets not forget Mennadue, Butler, Drummond, McBean, Castangna, McKenzie. McDonough and Short all of whom (bar Butler - who wasn't bad v the Dogs in NAB 1) have shown something.  A few more years in our system, and there is no reason why these players cant strengthen the depth of the squad. We still have Conca, CEllis possibly even Knights to come back in and add depth to our list.

Where we are at, I think we need a bit more x factor or class. I'd love Motlop. I'd love Dangerfield. I am a huge fan of Carlise, and there is no question he would help us, but I don't see CHB being the biggest problem for us in either skill or depth.

Astbury is nearly 25 - and has only played 40 games. Astbury should have been playing in Chaplins spot all a long if we were serious about long term development of a flag backline - and not short term goals... Will Astbury be on the list next year? Is he happy not playing games? Do we know what he brings to the table? Not really cause he has not got a serious go at it. Ideally we keep him for a few more years but its a strange one.

Elton will be 23 next season and has been given two games.

football is subjective of course but I would say in comparison to; Rance, Reiwoldt, Deledio, Cotchin, Martin, Miles, Vlastuin, Grimes, Maric.... Chaplin is a 'weak' spot in the team. One can go into further detail but it seems to have been done enough. I for one would be happy with a Dixon or Reid of peptide enthusiastic to assist rance and add some speed and athleticism.

Grigg has been somewhat less crap than his norm but ideally we would have an upgrade. quite well is ok, but ideally Motlop or a expansion club team player will offer more upside.

I do agree Houli is close to the;  "grigg, chaplin, hunt, newman", 'group'.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2015, 05:41:10 PM »

Currently, I would say the two weakest spots in the 22 are Grigg ad Chaplin.

How come you've never mentioned that before?

Astbury is nearly 25 - and has only played 40 games. Astbury should have been playing in Chaplins spot all a long if we were serious about long term development of a flag backline - and not short term goals...
Don't think short term goals have anything to do with it. When a bloke has been injured for 2.5 years out of 3 it's nearly impossible to give him a game, yet we still managed too just for him to break down again.