Author Topic: David Astbury [merged]  (Read 263924 times)

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: David Astbury [merged]
« Reply #135 on: July 25, 2010, 10:19:01 PM »
Good chance for the Rising Star this week

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #136 on: July 25, 2010, 10:19:39 PM »
Going real good.

Skills belie his height.

tony_montana

« Reply #137 on: July 25, 2010, 11:06:53 PM »
looks very cool/composed this lad

« Reply #138 on: July 26, 2010, 06:16:33 AM »
Credti where credit is due

I thought he loked absolutely lost 10-15 minutes but then once he settled he was without doubt our best defender yesterday.

Which in a way is a sad indictment on our more senior key position backman from yesterday

Maybe he has his mind on a sunnier climate.

:thumbsup

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #139 on: July 26, 2010, 08:24:55 AM »
Well he's contracted for next year so GC Suns can't get him

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #140 on: July 27, 2010, 01:09:08 PM »
Astbury happy on the backline
richmondfc.com.au
By Mic Cullen
Tue 27 July, 2010

RICHMOND forward-turned-defender David Astbury says he's gone back for the long-term.

Astbury was taken by the Tigers with pick 35 in the 2009 NAB AFL draft after playing all five games for Vic Country in the 2009 Under-18 championships, and has played 13 games this season.

Despite kicking three on debut against Melbourne in round four, he says he's enjoyed the move to the backline.

"Life as a forward is hard when you're not winning games, that’s when I started at the club," he said at Punt Rd Oval on Tuesday morning.

"Now that I've moved back, I think it's a role that I'll find myself in long-term.

"I'm not finding it hard at all - I've got a few good mates down there who are helping me improve, and I think that's where you'll see me long-term."

Richmond had put together a terrific run until a couple of weeks ago, winning five of six matches, and the defensive unit was a key part of the process. In that period, the Tigers were the team least likely to be scored against when the ball went inside 50.

The 19-year-old said the backline has quality, but it isn’t the only place the team has class, albeit young.

"We've got a terrific group - obviously we've got (captain) Chris Newman back there, and some seasoned players in Luke McGuane and Brett Deledio who have senior experience for the last five or six years, so we've got a group back there, and we're improving every week.

"We've got a young and talented group, but I think it was always just going to be a matter of time when we all started to gel together enough to start putting some points on the board.

"And once it happened, we went through a really good period, and we've had a little bit of a setback, but we'll bounce back.

"Obviously inconsistency was going to feature in our season, because we're such a young group.

"I suppose we've got a few tired bodies at the minute, but I think you'll find that we'll bounce back pretty well - we'll start to get on the up again, and show some more improvement."

He said the opportunity to possibly shape the final eight wasn't a thought heading into this weekend's clash with Adelaide.

"They're on the back of a pretty disappointing loss for their footy club, so I don't think it's about shaping the eight, that's not what we go out there to do.

"I think we just go out there to play our best football and improve."

http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/6301/newsid/99074/default.aspx

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #141 on: July 29, 2010, 03:47:40 PM »
Love the look of this kid.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #142 on: August 04, 2010, 06:44:49 AM »
Good chance for the Rising Star this week
He's still waiting despite playing 14 games in his debut year including 20 and 15 possies in the past fortnight  ???. It's normally harder for the tall kids to have an impact right away yet Astbury has slotted  nicely into our defence with the ability to have a spurt up forward.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ramps

« Reply #143 on: August 04, 2010, 07:26:35 AM »
It looks like weve found our "big" CHB. Now we just need a similar 195cm to play at FB.

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #144 on: August 04, 2010, 11:00:25 AM »
It looks like weve found our "big" CHB. Now we just need a similar 195cm to play at FB.
Why? Since when has any premiership defence needed two defenders of 195cm+?

TigerTimeII

« Reply #145 on: August 04, 2010, 11:37:01 AM »

ramps is right

every fwd line needs at least 2 big men and every good defence needs at least 2 big back men

look at brisbane  wgen they won the threepeat  mal mishael and leppitsch

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #146 on: August 04, 2010, 12:04:20 PM »

ramps is right

every fwd line needs at least 2 big men and every good defence needs at least 2 big back men

look at brisbane  wgen they won the threepeat  mal mishael and leppitsch

Justin Leppitsch - 191cm
Mal Michael - 190cm

Kelvin Moore - 190cm
Luke McGuane - 191cm
Will Thursfield - 191cm

Offline mat073

• Perth's biggest tiger tragic.
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #147 on: August 04, 2010, 12:23:03 PM »
Cmon Smokey....put their weight as well. :o

Micheal and Leppitsch were real "gorilla keepers".....not sure you can say that about our trio.
Unleash the tornado

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #148 on: August 04, 2010, 12:41:07 PM »
Cmon Smokey....put their weight as well. :o

Micheal and Leppitsch were real "gorilla keepers".....not sure you can say that about our trio.

Neither of them were 'gorillas' when they were young - Michael in fact was one of the skinniest guys going around when he was in his early 20's - in fact he weighed 68 kgs when he was drafted and 85kgs when he went to Brisbane in 2001 at 24 years of age.  Both only grew bulk in their later years, as do most players.  And I was only responding to the comments about needing 195+cm to play at fullback, citing Michael and Leppitsch as examples.  As a comparison:

Moore is 26 and weighs 84kg
McGuane is 23 and weighs 86kg
Thursfield is 24 and weighs 85kg
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 01:17:10 PM by smokey_58au »

TigerTimeII

« Reply #149 on: August 04, 2010, 01:27:01 PM »

ramps is right

look at brisbane  wgen they won the threepeat  mal mishael and leppitsch

Justin Leppitsch - 191cm
Mal Michael - 190cm

Kelvin Moore - 190cm
Luke McGuane - 191cm
Will Thursfield - 191cm

what they lacked in height

the gained in size they were very strong and could hold kp forwards

scarlet/harley another good combo