Author Topic: David Astbury [merged]  (Read 263967 times)

TigerTimeII

Re: David Astbury [merged]
« Reply #150 on: August 04, 2010, 01:28:38 PM »
Cmon Smokey....put their weight as well. :o

Micheal and Leppitsch were real "gorilla keepers".....not sure you can say that about our trio.

Neither of them were 'gorillas' when they were young - Michael in fact was one of the skinniest guys going around when he was in his early 20's - in fact he weighed 68 kgs when he was drafted and 85kgs when he went to Brisbane in 2001 at 24 years of age.  Both only grew bulk in their later years, as do most players.  And I was only responding to the comments about needing 195+cm to play at fullback, citing Michael and Leppitsch as examples.  As a comparison:

Moore is 26 and weighs 84kg
McGuane is 23 and weighs 86kg
Thursfield is 24 and weighs 85kg

too light

i bet dustin weighs that much and is only 19

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #151 on: August 04, 2010, 01:42:11 PM »
Cmon Smokey....put their weight as well. :o

Micheal and Leppitsch were real "gorilla keepers".....not sure you can say that about our trio.

Neither of them were 'gorillas' when they were young - Michael in fact was one of the skinniest guys going around when he was in his early 20's - in fact he weighed 68 kgs when he was drafted and 85kgs when he went to Brisbane in 2001 at 24 years of age.  Both only grew bulk in their later years, as do most players.  And I was only responding to the comments about needing 195+cm to play at fullback, citing Michael and Leppitsch as examples.  As a comparison:

Moore is 26 and weighs 84kg
McGuane is 23 and weighs 86kg
Thursfield is 24 and weighs 85kg

too light

i bet dustin weighs that much and is only 19

Did you think Michael was too light when he went to Brisbane and played fullback in a winning grand final side at 24 years of age?

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #152 on: August 04, 2010, 02:11:05 PM »
It looks like weve found our "big" CHB. Now we just need a similar 195cm to play at FB.
Why? Since when has any premiership defence needed two defenders of 195cm+?

ramps is right

every fwd line needs at least 2 big men and every good defence needs at least 2 big back men

look at brisbane  wgen they won the threepeat  mal mishael and leppitsch

Justin Leppitsch - 191cm
Mal Michael - 190cm

Kelvin Moore - 190cm
Luke McGuane - 191cm
Will Thursfield - 191cm

what they lacked in height

the gained in size they were very strong and could hold kp forwards

scarlet/harley another good combo
Harley 193cm
Scarlett - 192cm

Yet again, neither of them is over 195cm

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #153 on: November 19, 2010, 04:01:14 PM »
Tatyoon's tiger cub earns his stripes
Ararat Advertiser
19 Nov, 2010

TATYOON - Richmond footballer David Astbury has been rewarded for his impressive debut season with Matthew Richardson's famous number 12 guernsey.

Richardson, who wore number 12 throughout his entire 282-game, 800-goal career at Tigerland, presented the Tatyoon native with the jumper last Friday at the club's 2011 membership campaign launch.

The number 12 was previously worn by Richardson's father, Alan 'Bull' Richardson and goalkicking great Jack Titus.

Astbury said the honour came as a huge surprise.

"I was informed about half an hour before the formal presentation and press conference," he said.

Astbury, who wore number 39 this season, said he was aware numbers four and 12 would be presented to two of the club's younger members - although he had no indication he was in the running.

"I was very humble and thrilled to be given the opportunity to play in the number 12 jumper after such a champion," he said.

Astbury said his family was thrilled with the news.

"They're very proud of me," he said.

"Obviously the club holds me in reasonably high regard, to be given such an honour, so they're pretty proud."

Coach Damien Hardwick made it clear throughout the season he is grooming Astbury to play a key role in the club's future.

Astbury played 17 games for the season, impressing with his versatility, endurance and all-round skills.

He debuted in round four, finishing the match against Melbourne with seven disposals, three marks and three goals, including two in the first quarter.

Although Hardwick was disappointed by his side's 55-point loss to the Demons, he was pleased with the 19-year-old's performance.

''Astbury I thought was very, very good (on debut) for a first year, key-position player,'' Hardwick said.

''His leadership, his ability to demand the ball and to tell other players when and where to go was outstanding.''

Astbury played most of the year in defence, but Hardwick has plans to make him the club's future key forward - the new 'Richo' - once he gains experience and his body matures.

Tigers' Rising Star of 2010, Dustin Martin, was also honoured by the club, receiving the revered number four guernsey from four-time premiership coach, Tommy Hafey.

Passing on the prestigious guernseys, which were 'retired' in 2009, fits in with Harwick's philosophy of Tigers needing to earn their stripes before they are considered worthy of any of the numbers revered by the yellow and black faithful.

http://www.araratadvertiser.com.au/news/local/sport/football-australian-rules/tatyoons-tiger-cub-earns-his-stripes/2002196.aspx

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #154 on: January 21, 2011, 11:51:00 AM »
Astbury dishes on debut season
Ararat Advertiser
21 Jan, 2011

TATYOON - Tatyoon's favourite son David Astbury enjoyed a rare trip back to his home town over Christmas after a successful debut season with the Richmond Football Club.

Despite a whirlwind 12 months which saw him play 17 senior matches, Astbury has remained the same down-to-earth teenager that was picked up at number 35 in the 2009 NAB National AFL Draft.

The 19-year-old admitted he was surprised to have been given so many opportunities in his first year and is keen to reward the club's faith in him.

He went a long way to doing so in the 2010 home and away season when he booted three goals on debut against Melbourne in round four.

Astbury's stand-out performance attracted plenty of praise from coach Damien Hardwick and cemented his spot in the Richmond line-up.

Since his debut match Astbury has settled into a defensive role where he expects to remain for the upcoming season.

The versatile tall will kick off his second year at the club in a new jumper after being entrusted with Matthew Richardson's famous number 12 guernsey.

In a further showing of the Tigers' belief in Astbury, he was presented with the jumper at Richmond's membership campaign launch at Punt Rd in November.

The honour capped of a dream year for the former Tatyoon player who hopes to further improve his game in 2011.

Ararat Advertiser journalist Jessie Antonio sat down with Astbury to find out what his first year in the AFL system was really like.

Jessie Antonio: What have the past 12 months been like for you?

David Astbury: It was a big thrill to be able to play senior footy early in the season and to be able to hold my spot throughout the whole year was pretty good as well. I suppose being a first year player I came across a few injuries and things like that but other than that it was a pretty successful year for me.

Was your first year of AFL what you expected?

Probably not. I didn't really expect to find myself in the senior team so much. It's always the story that when you're young and you're a tall player you normally take time to develop so I expected to be playing at Coburg a lot more.

Did it take you long to settle in at the club?

It was quite an easy thing actually. They'd just had a big clean out of a lot of older players so the group was pretty young. We naturally gelled together pretty early on so I was pretty lucky in that respect.

Who are some of the players you have become close with?

Guys like Alex Rance, Andrew Browne. I'm very close with Jack Reiwoldt as well. There is a pretty good mix of older and younger guys.

What have your living arrangements been like since moving to the club?

The club organised for me to move in with a host family in Coburg. They're terrific people and they're a great support network so I struck it really lucky with them. They help me a lot. When you've had a big day on the track or something like that and you're very tired it's good to come home to a home cooked meal. Also, if I've had a rough week or don't perform very well on the weekend they're always there to talk to and it's just good to have another support. I'm the first player they've had stay with them.

You're at university as well, how are you managing to balance football and study?

I'm studying civil engineering and commerce. Early it was a real struggle to fit in both. From my second and my sixth game or something we had three interstate trips. That takes a lot of time out of your week so I missed a few lectures and stuff. I deferred again for the second semester and I'm starting again this semester. We have a compulsory program being a first year player in the AFL, called the AFL Apprenticeship which is just like a Certificate III in sport so that takes a lot of time as well.

What would a typical week during the season involve?

Usually six days. The pre-season and the in-season programs are very different. The pre-season is just hard work, there is no other way to describe it really. You've just got to grit your teeth and get through it.

The in-season isn't so bad. You need a couple of days recovery (after a game) before you can do anything serious. During the in-season we would train five to six days a week. Wednesday afternoon and Friday afternoon is normally when I do the majority of my study.

Was it difficult to adjust to an AFL training program?

It was. When I was under 18 I did a lot of training but it was maybe an hour or two hours every day or every second day. In an AFL environment it's pretty much a full time occupation. I feel like I've started to get used to it now.

Last year obviously they had already done a month's training before we got to the club so everyone was really into the swing of things before we event got there. It took time adjusting that way but once you've got your first season under your belt and you've played a few games it's much easier to roll into the next season.

From an individual perspective you had a pretty successful debut season. How did you rate your performance?

Early it was very inconsistent which is something that a lot of people expected but I managed to kick a few goals on debut and then found myself playing in defence. Once I settled into a defensive role I averaged plenty more disposals during the second half of the season.

So, I think I played two different seasons in a way. Inconsistent for the first eight weeks and then for the next nine or so I was a bit more consistent which was more pleasing for me.

So you were happy with the opportunities that you got?

Yeah I was. I was very surprised but once the coach, Damien, realised that I was showing some signs at senior level he gave me a lot of opportunities and I was lucky enough to be able to showcase my skills.

What is your relationship with Damien Hardwick like?

It's very good. It's a very professional relationship and we get on well.

Was there any particular highlight that stood out for you in your first season?

The win against Sydney at the MCG in front of 60,000 people where we came from 33 points behind to win by less than a kick in the last quarter. Personally it was my best game for the season as well so it was a good week after that.

You mentioned you suffered a few injuries during the season, how are things looking now?

I had general groin soreness and stuff like that and I had a hip arthroscope at the end of the year just to sort a few things out.

What goals have you set yourself for 2011.

If can play another 15 or so games I think I will be very happy with that, and just try and hold down a key position in the back half. I think that's where I'm going to play the majority of the year so if I can play some consistent football at centre half back that's probably my main goal.

Have you had much free time since the end of last year's home and away season?

We had eight weeks off in between. I went under the knife on the 23rd of August for my hip arthroscope so I missed Round 22 and then we had eight weeks off after that where a few of us went to Thailand. It was really good to freshen up a bit.

We had 15 days off over Christmas and New Year so that was also good. I didn't have much of a chance to get back during the season. Last year I was away from home a lot so I intend to get home a bit more this season.

What do you like to do when you come home?

I've got three sisters so coming home it's a very different household to the one I live in at the moment. It's good to catch up with them. I do miss them a bit.

Did your family get to many games last year?

They got to almost every game apart from the interstate ones. It was good to know they were there.

You have been in the media quite a bit in your first season. Have people started recognising you in the street yet?

It's funny, lately I have been (recognised) a bit. Towards the end of the season when I was given Matthew Richardson's number that got a bit of media attention and people started to put a name to my face. I was in Noosa over New Years and I was recognised a little bit.

How do you handle the attention?

I'm not really sure. I don't go out of my way to say that I'm a footballer. You play it with a straight bat and try to be as conservative as you can. You don't try and make yourself a big deal in the public because you don't want to create a bad image for yourself.

You are living the dream of thousands of junior footballers but were there any sacrifices you had to make to get where you are today?

Probably the main sacrifice I made (to become an AFL player) was that I finished school as a 17 year-old and I always intended to go straight to university but I realised that I had an opportunity to play state level under 18 football and really focus on it, so I ended up deferring university and living in Ballarat for a year. I managed to get myself drafted but I was kind of living away from home and not living in Melbourne where I went to school and stuff so it was a bit isolating for me. I guess that was the biggest sacrifice but luckily it paid off.

What advice would you give this year's draft picks?

Just encourage yourself to be an extrovert or I guess express yourself because the sooner the guys can see what you're like the quicker they'll understand you and the better relationship you will have with them. Also be consistent with your training habits.

South Australian visitors Michael and Andrew Jonas got a suprise to meet rising Richmond star David Astbury during a trip to Ararat over the holiday season. Picture: PETER PICKERING

http://www.araratadvertiser.com.au/news/local/sport/football-australian-rules/astbury-dishes-on-debut-season/2053923.aspx?storypage=0

gerkin greg

« Reply #155 on: January 21, 2011, 12:03:53 PM »
T-shirt tucked into shorts, had to be South Australian  :lol

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #156 on: January 21, 2011, 01:23:11 PM »
Sounds like a future captain.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #157 on: January 21, 2011, 07:53:32 PM »
Dave's got a sound head on those shoulders of his hasn't he  :thumbsup.

He's also a good storyteller too embellishing the Sydney game crowd by an extra 20k  :laugh:.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
« Reply #158 on: January 23, 2011, 08:14:22 AM »
He's also a good storyteller too embellishing the Sydney game crowd by an extra 20k  :laugh:.

It probably seemed like that to the players of the field. Us Tigers make a lot of noise. One of the attractions for being a Richmond player. We don't win often but when we do the players must get a real buzz. I'd take one of our wins over a North Melbourne or Bulldogs win anyday. How depressing that must be.

North Melbourne wins. Players jumping up and down. Yay!!!! (Sound of crickets  :sleep ). I know it happens, I've been there.  :wallywink

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #159 on: January 23, 2011, 02:59:39 PM »
Norf Mel :sleep urk ah ohh sorry dozed off there for a sec.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #160 on: February 08, 2011, 07:35:43 PM »
Astbury takes on famous No.12
richmondfc.com.au
By Nat Edwards
Tue 08 Feb, 2011

RICHMOND utility David Astbury says he will wear his new No.12 with pride as he runs out onto Etihad Stadium in round one of the NAB Cup on Saturday night.

Astbury was presented with the famous No.12 in November 2010 but has yet to don the jumper after match against the Indigenous All-Stars in Alice Springs was called off due to bad weather.

The famous Richmond No.12 jumper was most recently worn by Tigers champion Matthew Richardson.

Richardson handpicked the 19-year-old as his successor and while it's an honour for Astbury, the jumper does come with a responsibility.

"Richo himself having a say in who gets to wear the number [makes it] a real honour," Astbury said on Tuesday.

"I have a real obligation to represent it the best I can."

Richmond's goals record holder, Jack Titus (970), along with Richardson (800), also wore No.12, but Astbury found himself playing in defence at the back half of last season despite making his debut in the forward line and kicking three goals.

Astbury said he was yet to gain any pearls of wisdom from Richardson but will draw on his new mentor in the future.

"He gave me his phone number and that was about it," Astbury said.

"We've had a couple of chats and I caught up with him a fortnight ago at the golf day.

"He's going to be someone I'll turn to as a mentor, so he'll be very helpful."

Astbury is part of an inexperienced and young Tigers' list that has an average age of 22 and while they are on the up, the success of their season won't be based upon a win-loss ratio.

Instead, coach Damien Hardwick is after gradual improvement.

"We're not going to limit the number of wins and losses and have that as a yardstick," Astbury said.

"I think it's all going to be how we progress and we can see who can step up to the tee and perform in the big games. I don't think wins and losses is going to be a real focus point for us."

After an intense pre-season, the developing side will be put to the test when it comes up again two 2010 finalists, Carlton and Collingwood, in round one of the NAB Cup on Saturday night.

"We've got a young list at the minute and I suppose Saturday night is going to be a real opportunity to showcase the improvement we've made over the pre-season," the 19-year-old said.

"Building into the NAB Cup we're going to showcase a lot of young talent and hopefully we can show our gradual improvement, which has been a real focus for us over the pre-season."

http://www.afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=107477

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #161 on: February 09, 2011, 01:26:29 AM »
Forget the Cho. Make the no12 yr own Dave. 8)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #162 on: March 26, 2011, 03:54:26 PM »
David Astbury: A Tiger on the rise
AFL Record
By Callum Twomey
Round 1, 2011

David Astbury had a promising start to his career in 2010, playing 17 games and looking assured at the top level. But the young Richmond defender wasn't satisfied. The Tigers allowed the AFL Record's CALLUM TWOMEY to track Astbury over the pre-season as he worked to take his game to the next level.

David Astbury had a successful pre-season. He managed his body well enough to avoid injury, and progressively ticked off personal goals - he wanted to get bigger, faster and learn his craft as a defender - before round one of the season. His was a summer without glitch.

By monitoring Astbury's pre-season, we were given an insight into how a typical summer campaign unfolds: it is tough, relentless and tightly managed, often to the minute.

Astbury was able to cope. Last year, he started his career as a forward, but by the end of the season had cemented a spot as a tall defender. His hands are strong, his skills are better than good and, most importantly, he's smart.

That third quality is evident when we meet either in person, at the club or over lunch, or speak on the phone, to gauge his latest developments. Astbury, who turned just 20 last month and is studying for an engineering degree at Swinburne University, is careful to not get ahead of himself. He knows now the challenge is translating the work he did during pre-season by making an impact on the field.

Noticeably, the training has changed Astbury physically.

I had caught up with him last August, but by December, the next time we met, his body shape had changed significantly.

The laid-back demeanour and the blond hair remain, with fringe inclined from left to right - a trait that earned him the nickname 'Swoop' at the club after teammate Brett Deledio noticed Astbury's fringe swoops across his forehead - but he's built up remarkably.

Coach Damien Hardwick says he is looking forward to seeing how Astbury copes as a key defender, and Astbury spent every day of the pre-season -148 - working towards that aim. When he runs out against Carlton for the first match of the season in his first game in the No. 12 jumper, the rest of us will get a glimpse of how far he has progressed.

"I can't wait," he says.

OCTOBER-NOVEMBER, 2010

Sixty-seven days after Astbury played his last game of 2010, he was back at Punt Road Oval at the first training session of the 2011 campaign. Football never stops, so they say, but for more than two months Astbury was able to reflect on his first season at AFL level.

Reflection at top-level sport, however, can be dangerous if not handled well. For Astbury, and the other first-to-third year Tigers, the next challenge awaited. He knew what he wanted - and needed - to do.

Astbury's first month of training, from October 27 through to the end of November, was limited due to a hip arthroscopy, which meant his work on the track was restricted mainly to straight-line running.

"There was a fair bit of a volume I had to get into my legs before I could start training with the main group," he says.

The workload is nevertheless strenuous. Astbury is at the club every day, and on Richmond's main training days - Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays - he spends more than nine hours at the club.

Every day, bar Wednesdays, the players do weights, and on weekends cross-training, including swimming or bike riding, are instituted partly to help break the monotony.

With a focus on power-based running, strength, jumping and foot skills, Astbury is "pretty happy" with how his pre-season is going.

"Last year, my playing weight was about 85-86kg and at the moment I'm fluctuating between 91-92kg, so if I hang on to a lot of that weight and still move freely, I'll be tracking well," Astbury says when we meet at a St Kilda cafe.

Astbury's November was also marked by a key moment on an individual level, when Tigers icon Matthew Richardson announced to a packed gymnasium at Richmond's Punt Road headquarters that Astbury had been chosen to take over the No. 12 jumper Richardson wore until he retired at the end of 2009.

Humbled, Astbury told the crowd he has "an obligation now to represent the number as best I can".

The month's block of training ended overseas, with the club holding a five-day camp in Wellington, New Zealand. Players were split into six groups, doing daily challenges such as canoeing, cycling and even farming activities, something Astbury should have excelled at considering he grew up on a wheat farm in Tatyoon, a tiny country town in Victoria's west.

"My group actually won that challenge," he says with a laugh.

DECEMBER

After the New Zealand trip, the first week of December was used to get the players back into the routine of training and, the following two weeks, Astbury says, "were the two biggest loading weeks of the pre-season so far".

Through this period, the formula for the main training days is a 60-80-minute skills session followed by a 20-minute conditioning set. He manages to keep up with training, despite the hip setback.

"The biggest challenge was the mental battle of feeling I was falling behind being in the rehab group after the hip operation, but since I've come back, it's been really pleasing," he says.

Richmond uses its sessions with dual intentions: within its match simulation it embeds all its fitness work. No session is done without the game style as priority, and players spend most of December doing game-related drills. Emphasis is placed on efficient movement of the ball from one end of the ground to the other.

"On the flipside," Astbury says, "when we haven't got the ball, we've put a big focus on turning it over as early as we can."

In setting his sights on becoming a key position defender, Astbury has been learning his craft by partnering Coleman medallist Jack Riewoldt.

"Jack went to Ireland and thought he was a bit behind when he got in the gym, so he asked me if we could pair up and we've done that," he says.

"And when we're doing marking, he's always got pointers on how to manoeuvre your opponent or lose them in a contest."

The players finish their football commitments on December 21, and after spending 2010 living with a host family in Coburg in Melbourne's northern suburbs, Astbury heads back to Tatyoon to celebrate Christmas with his parents and three sisters. He spends several nights over the New Year period in Noosa.

He needs the break to recover from the tough two-week block, but still spends about 45 minutes each day keeping in shape.

Two months down, and Astbury has worked out a simple way of getting through the pain barrier: "I never look to the end of the session because I know it's just got to finish at some point."

JANUARY, 2011

Richmond returns from its break on January 5 with a set of time-trials, and though Astbury starts the day with an ear infection, he ranks among the best of the taller players.

He has improved his overall fitness and strength, in line with his aims at the start of the pre-season. In a live chat on richmondfc.com.au, the Tigers' elite performance manager Matt Hornsby says Astbury had put on more weight than any player at the club.

"He's really improved his strength and size, with the ambition of becoming a key position player," Hornsby says.

Astbury is pleased when the club officially lists him at 92kg, especially since his speed hasn't suffered.

"It was a big goal of mine to get above 90kg consistently, and putting on weight in my legs has helped me, but I don't think I've lost anything as a result of the extra weight," he says.

Astbury's improvement is underlined in late January when he is asked to play a role in the club's leadership group this year.

Although not an official member of the six-man team, captain Chris Newman requests Astbury sits in meetings after the youngster receives positive feedback from his peers.

"We did the voting and I sat outside the group of six after getting a few votes from the guys," Astbury says. "Newman said I'll be able to sit in and partake in particular meetings and get involved with the group, so it's something I'm really looking forward to."

With the club scheduled to play the Aboriginal All-Stars in Darwin on February 5, Astbury says the last two weeks of January are the toughest of the pre-season campaign to date, but remaining enthusiastic about the season to come is easy.

"In those last two weeks, we spent more time than any stage of the pre-season on the track and had a lot of running sessions," he says.

"The lead-up to Christmas is just a battle of getting through to the break, but once you get back to the club, you get yourself primed to play."

FEBRUARY-MARCH

Even though inclement weather leads to the All-Stars match being cancelled, Richmond gets back into game mode in February.

During the NAB Cup and NAB Challenge series, training is structured with a focus on games, the sessions tapering off as matches approach.

Astbury continues his build-up to round one with an impressive first-round NAB Cup effort against Collingwood and Carlton. He is particularly impressive against the Blues, when he picks up 12 touches in the 40-minute game. It's something he wants to continue.

"Moving to the backline, I knew there were a lot of flaws in my defensive game that I needed to iron out, and that has been a big focus for me over the pre-season," Astbury says.

"But now I've started to improve defensively, the coaches think I have the tools to play a more attacking role, so I'm hoping to get a lot more possessions this year.

"I have to find a bit more of a balance."

With an eye on fitness management, it's rare players take part in all pre-season fixtures. Astbury plays in three of Richmond's four hit-outs, having a well-earned rest for the Port Adelaide contest in Alice Springs.

A unique aspect of Richmond's pre-season is its head-to-head training with Hawthorn.

The clubs' younger players squared off at the Hawks' Waverley Park headquarters in February.

Astbury says the session was more about fine-tuning plans than playing full-on practice matches.

"We did set-ups at stoppages and then they (the Hawks) tried theirs and then we'd just play it out. The coaches gave us different scenarios, like what to do when we turn the footy over in the back half and what to do to move the ball out, while they had to try and shut us down," Astbury says.

"It was about seeing how our plans held up against theirs."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Diet and sleep were keys

» In aiming to put on weight, David Astbury's diet was loaded with carbohydrates. On a normal day during pre-season, Astbury would have six meals, plus four protein shakes.

On rotation, his meals would consist of:
» Pasta
» Sandwiches
» Rice dishes

His sleeping patterns were also pivotal. Astbury would rise at 6.30am every day, having gone to bed before 10pm. Generally, he was exhausted after training and was able to get at least eight hours of sleep each night, keeping him fresh for the next day's session.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #163 on: March 28, 2011, 11:54:56 AM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #164 on: April 14, 2011, 10:36:47 PM »
David Astbury shows his true colours

Sam Edmund
    April 15, 2011

THEY say one man's trash is another man's treasure and so it has proved for Richmond youngster David Astbury.

First, backline colleague Alex Rance was suspended for a high hit in Round 1. Luke McGuane then followed suit in Round 2.

Astbury, in his second season with the Tigers, was getting a game, but the two suspensions meant he was taking on far more responsibility.

Suddenly, the unassuming lad from Tatyoon - an hour east of Ballarat - had to go from rebounding defender to key stopper.

"Alex was suspended, then Luke, and it got a bit more worrying then," Astbury said.

"But I think to learn and compete against the best you've got to play against the best and if it didn't pan out that way I probably wouldn't have played on Jarryd Roughead on the weekend."

Astbury, 20, conceded 8kg to his more experienced Hawthorn rival, but only three goals, despite the Tigers' 63-point thumping.

"He's just a strong man. I had to make sure I took possession early and tried to hang on to it," Astbury said.

"The best part about it is that Jarryd is very easy to talk to. In the heat of the battle you don't talk to each other, but after the game he was good enough to come and tell me I did this well or I need to improve on this.

"I played on him in Shepparton in the NAB Challenge. He's a great player and I think I can really improve just from playing on him."

But the degree of difficulty will increase tonight when he is asked to subdue either Chris Dawes or Travis Cloke.

"You never compare yourself. When you get on the ground you never think you're a lesser opponent because then you're defeated before you even start," he said.

"That's something I never think of. I always expect to handle myself no matter who it is. There have been instances where I've been outplayed, particularly against (Adelaide's) Taylor Walker in the pre-season, but I definitely don't have the mindset I'm giving away anything."

It's that attitude that has seen Richmond put its faith in Astbury, who added 6kg in the off-season.

"I suppose people think, oh, he's got a bit of developing to do over the next couple of years, and I played at about 85kg last year," Astbury said.

"I just thought, 'I'm not going to wait around, I'm going to fast-track it as best I can'."

Such is the regard in which Richmond holds him that it was decided over summer he would inherit Matthew Richardson's No.12 jumper.

"It was pretty daunting. The first thing that popped into my head was the pressure and weight of expectation that comes with it, but slowly you understand having that (jumper) means the club and people believe in you," he said.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/david-astbury-shows-his-true-colours/story-e6frf9jf-1226039334017