Author Topic: David Astbury [merged]  (Read 263925 times)

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
Re: David Astbury [merged]
« Reply #285 on: December 26, 2012, 12:22:56 PM »
Will not make it
Totally agree with Mrakov, will not make it.
By far the worst player on our list.
In most cases injuries are the worst thing that can happen to a young player, in Davids case it's been the best. Given him an extra year or two on our list.
If Posty got delisted than Astbury hasn't got a chance! At least Post had one good aspect to his game, his marking, David does not have anything in his game that is AFL standard. And for the record i didn't rate Post either.
It's sounds harsh from me but happy to put my name to it..... Time will tell.

The big Toneski :clapping
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #286 on: January 08, 2013, 05:20:00 AM »
Astbury felt game was getting past him
Brent Diamond
Football Nation
Jan 7. 2013 4:03 pm

PROMISING Richmond defender David Astbury admits this pre-season has been “enormous” for him after finally going through his paces during pre-season injury-free.

Astbury said that he felt “the game had gears that I didn’t” at the end of last season, after having a taste of AFL footy playing the final couple of matches of the season.

“It’s been hard work but it’s my first one so far since being at the footy club, it’s definitely challenging but yeah I’m really enjoying it. I’m getting some training under my belt which I haven’t had in the past,” Astbury said.

“I suppose when you come out of rehab and you’re ready to go like I was last year to play a couple of games in the VFL, I felt fit and I felt like I was going Ok then once I stepped up to the AFL in the last couple of rounds, I just realised where I was at and how much work I had to do. I still felt like the game had gears that I didn’t so this pre-season has been enormous for me,” he said.

He said he was confident that he was over his knee problems in which he suffered from a dislocated kneecap before making his way back through the VFL ranks last season.

“Yeah I am. The last two months has been a huge progression for me, obviously the last couple of years I’ve had a few struggles with injuries particularly my knee. I’m looking forward to putting that behind me and continuing my pre-season and being fit for the season which would be nice.”

“It was really tough. Luckily I had Kel Moore at the time to get through session after session with but it is I suppose a pretty tough time and you can feel quite lonely in there but it does test you and hopefully it’s going to improve me long term,” he told Richmond’s website.

“I chipped away for probably six or seven weeks in the VFL. I hadn’t played footy for 12 months, I struggled . I think they were important to me to realise where I wanted to get to. I’ll be happy to get into the AFL side but still realise that I have a lot of work to do,” he said.

He said that he was hoping to prove “some value” on Richmond’s list this season.

“I just hope that being versatile is going to help me get more games. Probably at the minute, I’m training a little bit at both ends. I’m not really sure what Dimma (Damian Hardwick) has planned for me for the season. I just hope to get some game time and prove some value,” he said.

http://www.footballnation.com.au/afl/afl-clubs/astbury-felt-game-was-getting-past-him/

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #287 on: January 08, 2013, 11:01:48 AM »
Am I missing something here?

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #288 on: January 08, 2013, 11:18:13 AM »

Probably

Offline Loui Tufga

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Beaver BLT
« Reply #289 on: January 08, 2013, 11:31:23 AM »

Clearly :wallywink

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #290 on: January 08, 2013, 11:38:02 AM »
Don't think he has the tools. Will be gone in 2-3 seasons. I make the big calls and I'm happy to cop it if I'm wrong.

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #291 on: January 08, 2013, 11:53:50 AM »
Don't think he has the tools. Will be gone in 2-3 seasons. I make the big calls and I'm happy to cop it if I'm wrong.
I think you were hanging it on Tucky year before last...or am I wrong??

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #292 on: January 08, 2013, 11:58:32 AM »

Nah I've never said anything bad about Tucky

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #293 on: January 08, 2013, 12:28:19 PM »

Utmost apologies, lets see have Astbury goes, if he had as much mongrel in him as Jake then maybe he will be up to it. We can only hope for the best...In RFC we trust??

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #294 on: January 08, 2013, 01:02:50 PM »

Utmost apologies, lets see have Astbury goes, if he had as much mongrel in him as Jake then maybe he will be up to it. We can only hope for the best...In RFC we trust??

Correct

the claw

« Reply #295 on: January 08, 2013, 02:07:36 PM »
Kid will be a gun  :shh
Didn't get the 12 guernsey for his sense of humor

Makrov has had too much crackov  :shh :rollin
hasnt really shown anything to suggest he will be a gun. yet again he hasnt really had a chance to show what hes got.
we seem to have two comments at opposite ends of the scale
. yours and mrakovs. hopefully the truth lies somewhere in between.

what i dont get is ben griffiths has not done any more than astbury and hes lauded as a champion by most.

i think we all need to remember that in the overall scheme of things these two are still babys in footy speak. i reckon we all need to temper our expectations and critiques until they have had a decent opportunity to show one way or the other what they can do.

imo with our talls in particular we are far too impatient. i also think when they do show a good glimpse of what may be we are far to ready to start calling them guns.
i suppose all im saying is give em time and let them prove themselves before we call for heads or put them up where they are not.

do we judge and cut the bloke based on 2011 and 2012 of course not injuries cruelled him.
do we call him a gun on the back of 2010 his first yr of course not. he played 17 games a very good return for a first yr tall,  many of which were terrible as was to be expected.. he also played some pretty decent games amongst it showing some good glimpses of what may come.

i would be real happy if astbury played at coburg most of the yr and really started to dominate at that level. i really hope now hes over injury he can improve areas of his game that need work as well.

finally on where he plays. to me one of astbury or griffiths if not both  must play and be developed as a forward .the list is screaming out for it. imo both are natural forwards.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 02:23:14 PM by the claw »

tony_montana

« Reply #296 on: January 08, 2013, 10:44:31 PM »
Too slow, shame bc he has a good footy brain.

Oh and claw, what's with the melodramatic, please show me one post just one where somebody has called Griff a champion. stuff me

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #297 on: January 09, 2013, 07:14:32 AM »
Have high hopes for him . He is a good mark and an accurate kick. Needs an injury free season to progress.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #298 on: January 11, 2013, 12:45:34 AM »
Griffin was a boss in hawthorn game

Kid will be a gun  :shh
Didn't get the 12 guernsey for his sense of humor

Makrov has had too much crackov  :shh :rollin
hasnt really shown anything to suggest he will be a gun. yet again he hasnt really had a chance to show what hes got.
we seem to have two comments at opposite ends of the scale
. yours and mrakovs. hopefully the truth lies somewhere in between.

what i dont get is ben griffiths has not done any more than astbury and hes lauded as a champion by most.

i think we all need to remember that in the overall scheme of things these two are still babys in footy speak. i reckon we all need to temper our expectations and critiques until they have had a decent opportunity to show one way or the other what they can do.

imo with our talls in particular we are far too impatient. i also think when they do show a good glimpse of what may be we are far to ready to start calling them guns.
i suppose all im saying is give em time and let them prove themselves before we call for heads or put them up where they are not.

do we judge and cut the bloke based on 2011 and 2012 of course not injuries cruelled him.
do we call him a gun on the back of 2010 his first yr of course not. he played 17 games a very good return for a first yr tall,  many of which were terrible as was to be expected.. he also played some pretty decent games amongst it showing some good glimpses of what may come.

i would be real happy if astbury played at coburg most of the yr and really started to dominate at that level. i really hope now hes over injury he can improve areas of his game that need work as well.

finally on where he plays. to me one of astbury or griffiths if not both  must play and be developed as a forward .the list is screaming out for it. imo both are natural forwards.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #299 on: January 11, 2013, 08:19:55 PM »
Too slow, shame bc he has a good footy brain.

good footy brain WTF, are you taking the pee or have you been overdosing on highlight reels again