Author Topic: David Astbury [merged]  (Read 263961 times)

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
Re: David Astbury [merged]
« Reply #615 on: April 28, 2014, 02:46:19 PM »
And to Dimma saying he needs to work on his offensive game, well at least he's offering something defensively unlike half the team who offer nothing either way.

Hardwick did praise his defensive game.
I know (through gritted teeth because he didn't want to play him in the first place) and then had a go at his offensive game. When there are blokes playing weekly who offer nothing from either side.

Will be dropped when Roller Disco comes back.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Phil Mrakov

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • They said I could be anything so I became Phil
« Reply #616 on: April 28, 2014, 02:46:36 PM »
Our best defender :bow
hhhaaarrgghhh hhhhaaarrggghhh hhhhaaaarrrggghh
HHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHAAARRRGGGHHHH HHHHHAAAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #617 on: April 28, 2014, 03:02:18 PM »
And to Dimma saying he needs to work on his offensive game, well at least he's offering something defensively unlike half the team who offer nothing either way.

Hardwick did praise his defensive game.
I know (through gritted teeth because he didn't want to play him in the first place) and then had a go at his offensive game. When there are blokes playing weekly who offer nothing from either side.

Will be dropped when Roller Disco comes back.
It's the only way of stopping him contracting Mr.Tigra's tigeritis is to not play him.  :lol

Besides Chappy gets paid twice as much as Astbury.  :shh

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #618 on: April 28, 2014, 05:26:13 PM »
He is good defensively but as Hardwick was right to point out in the presser his attacking work is next to non existent. Quite the old school fullback but the modern game needs him to be more attacking as well.
Uses the footy well so I think as he becomes comfortable playing at the level he will get better. And to Dimma saying he needs to work on his offensive game, well at least he's offering something defensively unlike half the team who offer nothing either way.

Agree. Work first on defensive game then work on offensive game. One of the few shining lights this season

Offline RedanTiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #619 on: April 28, 2014, 06:45:48 PM »
He is good defensively but as Hardwick was right to point out in the presser his attacking work is next to non existent. Quite the old school fullback but the modern game needs him to be more attacking as well.

Might be an idea for Dimma to actually look at a game in total.
The reason why the backs do not offer much offensively is because
A) There are NO strong repeated leads from players upfield (with the exception of Jack) to pass the ball.
B) with the lack of work effort the ball, if not delivered perfectly, will rebound at speed to catch the defender out of position.

Have a look at any game. Most of the run from defence comes from BEHIND the ball holder ie someone running past for handball or short kick or a switch of play. There is NOTHING coming from upfield.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #620 on: April 28, 2014, 08:03:16 PM »
Only 7 RFC players had more ball than astbury. If his offensive game is poor I'd hate to think of the others.  :shh

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #621 on: April 28, 2014, 08:05:20 PM »
Having a breakout season  :clapping
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #622 on: April 28, 2014, 08:30:49 PM »
Only 7 RFC players had more ball than astbury.

u sure

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #623 on: April 28, 2014, 08:32:14 PM »

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #624 on: April 28, 2014, 08:44:21 PM »
Has done ok this year stopping his man but IMO is still part of the problem. There is a difference between getting 12 kicks (an receiving that first 15m kick out from full back surely shouldn't count or a sideways kick to a guy flat footed) and being attacking. Let's face it, we play one down in the backline with him in terms of getting some run out of our back half which has been our biggest problem this year.
It's all well and good for Dave to be getting games and keeping his man reasonably quiet and I'm sure his mum is proud but footy has changed from the Will Thurstfield days, if you want to be a great side you have to have 18 players that can create some run. It's no coincidence that we were better last year without him than this year with him.
I know we have been waiting for Dave to be able to compete at this level but that simply isn't enough from a team point of view.
I know we have bigger problems than Dave but IMO he needs to be upgrade too unless he can change. I finally agree with Dimma on something.

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #625 on: April 28, 2014, 08:46:16 PM »
If his offensive game is poor I'd hate to think of the others.  :shh

Who said it was poor?

Offline Tigershark

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #626 on: April 28, 2014, 09:15:45 PM »
This kid will only get better if he backs himself in......all the great defenders attack first cos they back themselves in to win the contest....win it...not halve it......the good ones are positive footballers.......this is where we fall over.....defend or negate before we attack is here we fail

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #627 on: April 28, 2014, 09:16:37 PM »
If his offensive game is poor I'd hate to think of the others.  :shh

Who said it was poor?
poor/needs improving. Same poo. Either way he's better than most.

tony_montana

« Reply #628 on: April 28, 2014, 09:22:49 PM »
No doubt the kid needs to keep improving and expanding on his game, but lets not expect too much too soon... has made massive inroads from where he was, he's doing something no one including Rance has been able to do and that's keep units like Cloke and Roughead quiet and out of the game when we were getting smashed through the middle. Im happy for him to really cement himself as a stopper first and foremost. Rnace will make up for the rebound when he gets back which in turn will free up all other defenders and give them an opponent one rung down in the pecking order. Baby steps guys, kid finally shows improvement and fills a need and we're already demanding he improves his rebound

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #629 on: April 28, 2014, 09:24:54 PM »
poor/needs improving. Same poo.

No it's not.