Author Topic: David Astbury [merged]  (Read 263930 times)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: David Astbury [merged]
« Reply #915 on: August 07, 2016, 05:01:04 PM »
Playing Chaplins role and doing it much better. That's a start isn't it :-\

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Close your mouth pls, we are not a codfish
« Reply #916 on: August 07, 2016, 05:02:12 PM »
Aiming very low isn't it

Given the injury history of grimes and astbury - it makes the current KdP situation even more brain dead.

Don't agree with everything johno brown says - yet he's on te money with "the problem is .... Richmonds drafting key position player history "
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #917 on: August 07, 2016, 07:10:50 PM »
He can take a decent mark but that is about as good as it gets for Dave.

poo by foot and even worse with his decision making.

After 7 years he averages 8 games a year. Simply not good enough.

Trade IMO. Enough is enough.

I'd rather go with guys like Rance, Grimes, McIntosh, Broad and C. Moore as our backs next year. (And hopefully Hurley)

We need guys that can defend but we also need good decision makers and good kicks.

The Bulldogs are a good example of the way the game has gone with defenders. They are not overly tall down back but they all run and create. Dave unfortunately doesn't.
Time to move Dave on.

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #918 on: August 07, 2016, 09:06:06 PM »
14 marks against Collingwood is a very good to excellent!

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #919 on: August 07, 2016, 09:11:53 PM »
Know he's had stints forward at times but he should be given a chunk of games in the forward line. What's there to lose? Oh that's right, apparently our forwards have to be 200cm+ except for Jack :banghead

tony_montana

« Reply #920 on: August 07, 2016, 09:15:16 PM »

I'd rather go with guys like Rance, Grimes, McIntosh, Broad and C. Moore as our backs next year. (And hopefully Hurley)

We need guys that can defend but we also need good decision makers and good kicks.

The Bulldogs are a good example of the way the game has gone with defenders. They are not overly tall down back but they all run and create. Dave unfortunately doesn't.
Time to move Dave on.

spot on BT, this fear that we must keep X player bc we dont have anything else is the exact mindset that has been holding us back for years. Its this mindset that keeps us hanging onto players like grigg, Houli, Vickery, Griff etc and continuing to play them ahead of the kids. Buck the trend, do something different and see what happens, who knows we may just unearth a gem or two like castagna and Short this season

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #921 on: August 07, 2016, 09:18:56 PM »
Key defenders are different however

A spud like Chaplin can be disaster.

Why have c moore or elton not been tried...

Pruning year bollocks
Then he grabbed two chopsticks and stuck them in his mouth , pretending to be a walrus

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #922 on: August 07, 2016, 09:21:17 PM »

Time to move Dave on.

spot on BT, this fear that we must keep X player bc we dont have anything else is the exact mindset that has been holding us back for years. Its this mindset that keeps us hanging onto players like grigg, Houli, Vickery, Griff etc and continuing to play them ahead of the kids. Buck the trend, do something different and see what happens, who knows we may just unearth a gem or two like castagna and Short this season

Agree with both of you re Astbury, would trade in a millisecond

But reckon rather than doing that they will give him another contract
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #923 on: August 08, 2016, 06:40:56 AM »
The bloke has been out for ages with injury and needs a chance to get back into it.  I reckon he has something to offer
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #924 on: August 08, 2016, 07:54:50 AM »

Time to move Dave on.

When or if Broad and C. Moore can improve their kicking to a standard that is acceptable then they will improve our defense. C. Moore has so much upside and could be something next year and beyond.

Offline Stalin

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #925 on: August 08, 2016, 07:59:35 AM »
It's worrying so much of the future is staked on a rookie listed kid that's played zero games

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #926 on: August 08, 2016, 12:43:40 PM »
The bloke has been out for ages with injury and needs a chance to get back into it.  I reckon he has something to offer

Agree. Very good mark. Needs to work on his decision marking but that can be improved upon with good coaching.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #927 on: August 08, 2016, 12:56:35 PM »
He was a junior forward.  His main strength is his contested marking.  His weakness is his slow decision making to get the ball moving from defence.  I wonder how long it will take Hardwick to realise he might add value as a deep forward?   
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #928 on: August 08, 2016, 03:37:24 PM »
He was a junior forward.  His main strength is his contested marking.  His weakness is his slow decision making to get the ball moving from defence.  I wonder how long it will take Hardwick to realise he might add value as a deep forward?

He's not 200cm+ so Dimma won't play him there

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #929 on: August 08, 2016, 07:11:52 PM »

Agree. Very good mark. Needs to work on his decision marking but that can be improved upon with good coaching.
After 7 seasons, if he haven't improved his decision making the best decision is to simply cut our loses.