Author Topic: David Astbury [merged]  (Read 263907 times)

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: David Astbury [merged]
« Reply #1035 on: June 20, 2017, 10:52:33 AM »
Finally doing a good consistent job and being the main reason our defence is holding up so well (by giving Rance the freedom to do what he does). I got a briilliant (read brain dead) idea, let's put him forward!
I've got an even better idea (read brain dead) let's keep things exactly the way they are as we are 2 wins from the last 7 games. And kicked over 100 points once in the last 8 games.
Nar, let's keep just doing what we have been.  :wallywink

Or you know, look at some more viable options that are just as likely to work but less likely to result in us conceding massive scores? Lennon, Chol, Moore (when he isn't injured). It's not always one extreme or the other like you seem to enjoy jumping to. You need to get some clear thinking and balance in your life my friend

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1036 on: June 20, 2017, 01:51:50 PM »
I'd play him forward next year if we got someone like May or Lever ...he could even rotate with someone like Xavier Richards.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1037 on: June 20, 2017, 09:15:10 PM »
Finally doing a good consistent job and being the main reason our defence is holding up so well (by giving Rance the freedom to do what he does). I got a briilliant (read brain dead) idea, let's put him forward!
I've got an even better idea (read brain dead) let's keep things exactly the way they are as we are 2 wins from the last 7 games. And kicked over 100 points once in the last 8 games.
Nar, let's keep just doing what we have been.  :wallywink

Or you know, look at some more viable options that are just as likely to work but less likely to result in us conceding massive scores? Lennon, Chol, Moore (when he isn't injured). It's not always one extreme or the other like you seem to enjoy jumping to. You need to get some clear thinking and balance in your life my friend
But just on your suggestion for a "viable" second forward, you have come up with a kid that is injured, a kid that's still a rookie and is miles away from ready for AFL and another kid that isn't renound for his overhead marking ability at all.... Awesome!

We have Astbury that is catching everything at the minute, which is exactly what we are screaming out for, why not try him forward to try and actually kick a winning score. 70 points won't win you many games no matter how good your defence is.
We have Rance, Grimes and McIntosh to play tall in defence so why wouldn't you try Astbury forward??
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 12:09:01 PM by one-eyed »

dwaino

« Reply #1038 on: June 20, 2017, 11:38:43 PM »
Astbury is the reason Rance is off the chain this season. He is playing a huge role.

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1039 on: June 21, 2017, 09:49:07 AM »
Astbury is the reason Rance is off the chain this season. He is playing a huge role.

Yep and some want to change that for the chance he'll be a potent forward (will more likely go missing imo)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1040 on: June 21, 2017, 02:03:16 PM »
Hardwick wasn't keen on moving Astbury.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #1041 on: June 21, 2017, 02:11:47 PM »
Quote from Big Tone" We have Astbury that is catching everything at the minute, which is exactly what we are screaming out for, why not try him forward to try and actually kick a winning score. 70 points won't win you many games no matter how good your defence is.
We have Rance, Grimes and McIntosh to play tall in defence so why wouldn't you try Astbury forward??
« Last Edit: Today at 12:09:01 PM by one-eyed »

BT Know what you are saying but McIntosh at 188 and Astbury at 195, Grimes 193, are we asking a little too much from McIntosh?

tony_montana

« Reply #1042 on: June 21, 2017, 02:24:38 PM »
Macca is actually 192cm now

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1043 on: June 21, 2017, 02:43:21 PM »
I thought Astbury was very good again today.
We may need to think about playing him at CHF as Jack needs some help.
Rance, Grimes and McIntosh as our 3 talls down back and see how that goes??

Thought Astbury was outstanding so I'd leave him down bakc

Why not try McIntosh at CHF
Because he cannot mark the footy??

Pretty sure this would be also be an issue if you played him as a KPD....unless you expect him just to spoil every single marking contest.....
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1044 on: June 21, 2017, 06:23:16 PM »
I thought Astbury was very good again today.
We may need to think about playing him at CHF as Jack needs some help.
Rance, Grimes and McIntosh as our 3 talls down back and see how that goes??

Thought Astbury was outstanding so I'd leave him down bakc

Why not try McIntosh at CHF
Because he cannot mark the footy??

Pretty sure this would be also be an issue if you played him as a KPD....unless you expect him just to spoil every single marking contest.....
I think I'd prefer my forward to be the better mark of the two if I had to make the choice. Would you??
Many KPB aren't very good at marking the footy. Grimes is a good example and is seen as a very good defender by most.
All I'm saying is we don't really have an option to play tall forward other than Astbury who can actually mark the footy. But I think we have a few that could play in defence if Astbury was to go forward.
Not moving Astbury just because he is playing well down back is ridiculous.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1045 on: June 21, 2017, 06:32:06 PM »
Quote from Big Tone" We have Astbury that is catching everything at the minute, which is exactly what we are screaming out for, why not try him forward to try and actually kick a winning score. 70 points won't win you many games no matter how good your defence is.
« Last Edit: Today at 12:09:01 PM by one-eyed »

BT Know what you are saying but McIntosh at 188 and Astbury at 195, Grimes 193, are we asking a little too much from McIntosh?
McIntosh hasn't been 188cm for about 5 years.
Vlastuin is about 188cm.
But it's not all about height, some players can play taller than they are. And untill this season I would have said McIntosh wasn't one of them but now he is but can also play on the medium forwards. As well as Rance and Grimes. Hawthorn also had players that played taller than they were but were able to contribute more on the way out.
That's why I'd like to see those 3 in defence. Add Vlastuin to that and we have a very good attacking defence that can move the ball out of our defence and into our forwardline.
Add a couple of quick ball movers to that off half back and we are in a pretty good position imo.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1046 on: June 21, 2017, 09:19:42 PM »
Just to clear it up

Kam McIntosh
Ht: 192cm
Wt: 91kgs

From last week's footy record, RFC player list page  (pg 39)

Still think he is worth consideration in the F50, great endurance, play him as a hit up target between the wing and just inside 50,
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1047 on: June 21, 2017, 10:13:00 PM »
Maybe instead of playing everyone in defence we can play everyone forward, Grimes, Assbury, Rance get them all up there

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1048 on: June 21, 2017, 10:30:55 PM »
Maybe instead of playing everyone in defence we can play everyone forward, Grimes, Assbury, Rance get them all up there

Let's through up there and he can turn it over with an across the ground pass 30 metres from goal
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #1049 on: June 22, 2017, 09:33:00 AM »
While I understand the reasoning, the risk of moving Astbury around and potentially damaging his confidence and form is far greater than the potential benefit IMO.

Leave our defence alone for mine. It's our greatest strength right now.