Author Topic: Tigers are still smiling - Richo (Tasmania's The Advocate )  (Read 999 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigers are still smiling - Richo (Tasmania's The Advocate )
« on: October 09, 2017, 03:35:41 AM »
Tigers are still smiling

The Advocate
Australian Community Media - Fairfax Media
8 October 2017

It has been an amazing week for Richmond supporters following their drought breaking premiership and no former player was in the limelight more than Matthew Richardson.

The North-West Coast football great was invited to present the premiership cup to captain Trent Cotchin and coach Damien Hardwick his Tigers’ win over Adelaide in the season decider.

Richardson, who played 282 games and kicked 800 goals for the club, said the honour came as a complete surprise.

“I couldn’t believe it really when Benny Gale [club chief executive and fellow North-West Coast product Brendon Gale] told me I had been nominated,” Richardson said

“I was shocked because Kevin Bartlett and players like that I thought were ahead of me, but it was humbling and an unbelievable experience.”

The jubilation was easy to see on Richardson's face as he left the stage following the presentation of the premiership cup

When it came to handing over the cup, he said he had a clear plan before he went on stage.

“I really didn’t want to hang around up there, Bob Davis when Geelong won in 2007 wouldn’t let go of the cup.

“That was a bit of a laugh at the time, so I thought I better not do a Bobby and get off the stage as quickly as possible.”

Richardson was back home in Devonport on Sunday with former Richmond teammate and school friend Ben Harrison for the jumper presentation of the Wrights Island Flatheads, as they prepare for their first Masters Games match on October 22.

Harrison said when the offer arose from their friend David Bell who runs the Alexander and Formby Hotels in the city.

“Belly runs the pubs here and he helps support the team and he said ‘are you going to come down for the Flathead function’,” Harrison said.

“We were like ‘what are we going fishing?’, but we slowly worked out what it all means and we also know Bill Williams who is part of it.”

Richardson added “it is also a great opportunity to come back home to catch up with people and spend time with family.”

Wrights Island Flatheads organiser Paul Briant said it’s great to have Richardson and Harrison a part of the day.

“Being Devonport boys, we thought it would be good to approach them and we were glad they were happy to jump on board,” Briant said.

“It is great to see a lot of families here today and it fantastic to have them a part of this, as we head towards what looks like being a competitive and enjoyable week.”

The Wrights Island Flatheads function coincided with Richardson’s appearance in the Relive the Rivalry charity football day at UTAS Stadium on Saturday.

The game raised much needed funds for Muscular Dystrophy TAS.

”It is an interesting game to play in and I hope they raised a good amount of money,’’ Richardson said.

Richardson kicked five goals as Brendan Fevola [10 majors] led the Victorian All Stars to a 20.14 (134) to 17.13 (115) win over Tasmania.

Evandale defeated Latrobe’s TWL North West side 6.7 (43) to 5.9 (39) in the curtain-raiser.

Representing: Former Richmond teammates Matthew Richardson and Ben Harrison in Devonport on Sunday. Picture: Brodie Weeding

Big moment: Matthew Richardson embraces Damien Hardwick on the stage. Picture: AAP

http://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/4973495/tigers-are-still-smiling/