Author Topic: Your thoughts on Key Forwards in this year's Draft  (Read 10605 times)

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Your thoughts on Key Forwards in this year's Draft
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2009, 01:12:55 AM »
I can't see any kid only selected for a state screening going 1st round, however he certainly looks like a pretty decent player.
Would certainly like to see us take a punt on a tall like him with one of our 3rd rounders. I wouldn't want to take a risk on a player who hasn't been tried at a higher level with any Top 20 pick.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2009, 02:00:16 AM »
Highlight footage on youtube isn't a great way of judging footy talent as they can make most of these kids look great but some of those second efforts for a 195cm tall kid looked impressive and the footage seemed to back up his strong agility results at the state screening.

Houghton played in the U18 Champs for WA and looked okay in general play albeit in the strongest state team (8 goals from 5 games). He kicked 45 goals from 18 games in the WAFL colts and was named at FF in the Colts team of the year. Here's his colts' stats:

http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_info.cgi?player=Joel%20Houghton&action=PSTATS&pID=188959412&client=1-2393-0-83215-4374305

Given we are going for a midfielder with our first pick I was interested in any key forwards that may be found later on who may be underrated. I've heard the WA sides are interested in Houghton with their 3rd round picks and we have ours just before theirs. Hopefully with our apparent scouts in WA this year we've kept a close eye on these WA kids.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline FooffooValve

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2009, 04:25:52 PM »
I'd be happy for us to go with Tom Hill with our 5th or 6th pick. He's got good hands, moves well for his size (199) and has a lot of upside. He's been injured a lot which is why I wouldn't risk an earlier pick. Needs to build up in the gym, so would be a 'project' player, but is a natural footballer rather than an athlete turned footballer.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #63 on: October 21, 2009, 08:02:56 PM »
I'd be happy for us to go with Tom Hill with our 5th or 6th pick. He's got good hands, moves well for his size (199) and has a lot of upside. He's been injured a lot which is why I wouldn't risk an earlier pick. Needs to build up in the gym, so would be a 'project' player, but is a natural footballer rather than an athlete turned footballer.
Some footage of Hill
http://www.afldraftinfo.com/2009/04/tom-hill-northern-knightsvic-metro.html

and Stats:
http://www.sportingpulse.com/team_info.cgi?player=Tom%20Hill&action=PSTATS&pID=187669763&client=0-3020-27635-0-8062824

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2009, 09:44:06 PM »
Just re-read this thread. What happened to Butcher? A month ago he was everyones no 3 and then lucky to make top 10? What's the go? Also, any news on how Temel tested?
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2009, 07:07:48 PM »