Author Topic: Greg Miller on SEN  (Read 1800 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Greg Miller on SEN
« on: November 18, 2007, 03:23:20 PM »
Miller was on SEN b/w 2-3pm today:

* The draft isn't as strong as last year (we won't get a Daniel Connors late) but the top 3 (Kreuzer, Cotchin and Morton) are equally as outstanding.

* We'll have 3 picks in the National draft.

* Pick 2 - Kreuzer, Cotchin or Morton. Mentioned again we won't take Cale because of Mitch. Cotchin has pace, all round inside/outside midfielder like a Luke Ball. Morton is a tall outside utility who starred in the WAFL.

* Pick 18 - depends on pick 2 (i.e. if Kreuzer slips to 2). We expect 10 kids to be already gone so there's about 8 kids available here. We have always had a philosophy of taking the best available but we also know we need to boost our defence (bigger key defender). Do you take a mid with a 90% of making it, a KPP with 60% or a ruckman with 40%.

* The Club has been big on educating supporters. We no longer just go on "hunches". We have tapes of every kid right bak to their U16 games.

* Caller mentioned Pears or Collier at 18 and Putt at 51. Pears (concentration) and Collier (pace) both taller defenders. Putt is a 2nd string ruckman.forward who came good in the finals. Miller agreed all three boys are on the radar.

* PSD - see how potential recruits go at training over the next 3 weeks. Ruck choice may be out of Richards, McKinnon or Fanning  :-\.

* Size - Can take 5 years. You put bulk on over preseason not during the season. Thursty has built up his strength. McGuane had stress fractures in the back which stuffed up 2 of his 3/4 pre-seasons.

* We are 3-4 years away from having the strength of the top sides across the whole side. We're 5-6 kgs less than Geelong.

* Cousins - we spoke to Ricky Nixon about where he is at but that's as far as it's got. If the AFL did allow him we would have to consult all parties - players, coaches and most importantly the board.

* The late John Ilhan was going to boost his Crazy John's sponsorship in the Club. Wasn't going to join the board (as yet).

* McMahon - had family issues last year which we'll support him. Excellent kick on both sides of the body.

* JON - caller asked he was lucky to get a game with Coburg so what did Greg see in him to be a top pick? Miller disagreed. Says JON is comuing along very well  ???. Need to look at him over a 4 year period. Only turned 19 this year (could have played in the old U19s) and has had injury problems missing a whole preseason. He does need to improve his decision making.

* Schulz - He needs to stand up now and have a good year. In fairness his natural position at full forward where he needs to compete with Richo. He knows he needs to become more versatile and play different postions (i.e. in defence say).

* Meyer - played small forward most of the year at Coburg. Complained about back and hip problems all year. So we pulled him out with 4-5 games to go and he had an op. Back in training now. Changing positons next year will play as a backman or wingman.

* Howat - He trains very well and is great around the Club but we have many of his type already. It was a list balance decision. At 22 we expect him to be further advanced than the other younger guys. We will re-rookie him for a 3rd year if he slips through the National and PS drafts.

* Peterson - unfortunate. Had OP initially then finally played Coburg ressies before the OP flared up again. Had off-field incidents and couldn't change his ways. Could show the professionalism required so we let him go.

* Caller asked about Geelong's VFL player Scott Thompson who starred in the VFL GF. Geelong tried to stop tapes of him being released so Miller expects him to go in the National draft.

* The players got together last week and bought Tyler Fishlock a brail computer and a footy with bells on it  :thumbsup.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Greg Miller on SEN
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 05:47:58 PM »
* Pick 18 - depends on pick 2 (i.e. if Kreuzer slips to 2). We expect 10 kids to be already gone so there's about 8 kids available here. We have always had a philosophy of taking the best available but we also know we need to boost our defence (bigger key defender). Do you take a mid with a 90% of making it, a KPP with 60% or a ruckman with 40%.

* Caller mentioned Pears or Collier at 18 and Putt at 51. Pears (concentration) and Collier (pace) both taller defenders. Putt is a 2nd string ruckman.forward who came good in the finals. Miller agreed all three boys are on the radar.

Kreuzer, Cotchin, Morton, Myers, Rance, Masten, Ebert, McEvoy and Palmer would be most of the 10 that won't be around at pick 18. So if we're after a tall then that would mean from the likes of Tayte Pears, Jarrad Grant, Tom Collier, Dave Gourdis and perhaps Steven Gaertner and Scott Simpson. If we got Kruezer then smalls like Selwood or Grimes. This is where pick 19 would've been handy as we could pick up two of them. Oh well.

Miller disagreed. Says JON is coming along very well  ???. Need to look at him over a 4 year period. Only turned 19 this year (could have played in the old U19s) and has had injury problems missing a whole preseason. He does need to improve his decision making.
No problem with saying some kids take a few years to develop but they then shouldn't be a top 10 draft pick. Many of JON's 2005 draft peers are way ahead of him. I don't know how Greg can say JON is coming along well based on this year ???.

* Schulz - He needs to stand up now and have a good year. In fairness his natural position is at full forward where he needs to compete with Richo. He knows he needs to become more versatile and play different postions (i.e. in defence say).
So is that code for Schulz at CHB and Polak at CHF next year?
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

richmondrules

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 07:11:48 PM »
* Schulz - He needs to stand up now and have a good year. In fairness his natural position is at full forward where he needs to compete with Richo. He knows he needs to become more versatile and play different postions (i.e. in defence say).

More likely code for, "Schulz better find himself a position or he won't be on our list next year trade or no trade".

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 09:28:49 PM »

More likely code for, "Schulz better find himself a position or he won't be on our list next year trade or no trade".
lol

We'll probably offload Sarge just when Richo has only a year to go  :-\.

Offline TIGER 03

• Future Richmond star
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 09:48:18 PM »
Does the same go for tambling MT, (still developing and finding the tempo too quick) not worth a top ten pick.

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 10:31:30 PM »
re-rookieing howat  :help

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 11:32:00 PM »
Yeah the logic is odd. We are willing to lose Howat in the draft yet we're willing to keep him as a rookie. Like we are just keeping him as cheap back-up for another year before dumping him anyway.

Ox

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2007, 12:07:56 AM »

Howat is ok imo.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 01:03:20 AM »
Does the same go for tambling MT, (still developing and finding the tempo too quick) not worth a top ten pick.
All kids will need time to develop and find the tempo but top 10 picks shouldn't take at least 4 years just to get to the stage of playing senior games :-\. JON's no ruckman or KPP remember.

To be honest Blingers would be borderline top 10 in his (2004) draft. I can at least see why recruiters rated him highly although you need to be wary of Division 2 (NT, NSW, Qld, Tas) players as they play in weaker comps. He's got that spark that we've only seen rare glimpses of (eg: West Coast game). Blingers has also played seniors since day 1 despite the obvious ups and downs and him not being a "Buddy".

On the other hand I don't see why JON was rated highly at all. Especially when you look at the first round of that 2005 draft  :P. He should've been a rookie chance at best IMO. You shouldn't speculate with top 10 picks hoping and wishing a kid will become some superstar he is a million miles away from and most likely will never ever become. At the moment JON's a million miles away from just being a run of the mill AFL player. His kicking and decision making is frightening even at VFL level. At worst Blingers will become a run of mill AFL player (like a Xavier Clarke). JON at worst has way too many deficiencies in his game and could be delisted within 2-3 years.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 08:49:22 AM »
miller proved once again that he is the king of spin.
i was one who called him up and asked about the lack of size in our whole team and to be honest i got the answer i expected of him. crap.
takes 5 years bla bla bla. its a process bla bla bla.
thats crap i look at the eagles and say collingwood. those 2 have loads of strength in first and second year players compared to our skinny midfielders/defenders who get brushed aside 2 goddam easy.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online torch

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • 28YrM&8YrMRC 🏆🏆🏆 ‘17, ‘19-‘20; 2 x Attendee 🐯
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 04:01:30 PM »
"the draft isn't that good" ... lol ... when i hear that i seriously laugh ... every draft is a good draft ...

sick of hearing the draft isn't good ...

so only using the 3 first picks ...

why don't we just use the 4th pick for a young ruckman that is 60-70% of making it ...

rather have him then Richards or any Ex-Listed player ...

we have Simmonds, Pattison, Graham as ruckman ... do we really need a 4th ??? ...

if so ... get a young 17/18 year old ...

Howat not "at a stage" at 22 ... what about Hyde ??? he is useless "full stop" ...

JON ... lol ... what do they see in him ???

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 05:08:21 PM »

why don't we just use the 4th pick for a young ruckman that is 60-70% of making it ...

The chance of a 4th pick ruckman "making it" would be more towards 10%.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2007, 06:09:27 PM »
"the draft isn't that good" ... lol ... when i hear that i seriously laugh ... every draft is a good draft ...

JON ... lol ... what do they see in him ???

They have to keep the faith in a guy like JON because he was a first round pick and not doing so would be an admission from Miller and co that they stuffed up in
a) the drafting of him
b) their overestimation of him to play at this level.

At least this way by continuing to show faith in JON spinners of webs of deceit like Miller can still sell us snake oil by retaining him on a list. This season he will have a pre season as opposed to other years. Let's see if that is the missing ingredient to his footy development and significant improvement.