Author Topic: Marlion Pickett [merged]  (Read 124956 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Marlion Pickett [merged]
« Reply #285 on: October 25, 2020, 06:27:35 AM »
Marlion Pickett – 7
One of Pickett's best games for the club. When the Cats were pressing hard in the first half, he worked incredibly hard on the wing, continually pushing back into defence to help his teammates. A few shaky moments and gave away an undisciplined 50, but used the footy well.

Source: AFL website

Marlion Pickett
Stood on Blicavs early, had a few average moments including giving away a 50m penalty in the last quarter in a poor moment. He ended with 14 disposals, but it wasn’t a repeat of 2019 for Pickett.

Rating: 4

Source: Foxsports

Online georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #286 on: October 25, 2020, 08:20:52 AM »
I thought he was fantastic made a few blews,  but runs all day.

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #287 on: October 25, 2020, 09:40:48 AM »
Stormed home in the second half like most.

Good for him too, first half was a stinker.

He's a good player this guy and kicks well either footy. Has real skill and genuinely tough.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #288 on: October 25, 2020, 10:53:01 AM »
That chase down of Junior was brilliant

His 2nd half was excellent
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #289 on: October 25, 2020, 11:33:19 AM »
Wont forget that his direct opponent was the most dominant player in the game especially the first half.
Next to Rioli Pickett was close to the worst player on the ground and his second half not much better as the 50 metre penalty could have been disastrous but his pressure was a lot better as the team lifted and he didn’t get as much of the ball in the second half so he couldn’t turn it over as much.

It was the tweeks to our structure and increased pressure as a team that saved him in the end.

I still think a fit Caddy would have been a better contributor overall especially decision making and goal kicking ability as a wingman than Pickett during the whole finals series.

Anyway he’s a dual premiership player and good on him
   :gotigers

The club that keeps giving.

Online eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #290 on: October 25, 2020, 01:56:08 PM »
His pressure acts were highlights of his game.

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #291 on: October 25, 2020, 08:43:44 PM »
I think a few need to pay more attention to the game instead their own agendas!  I watched a replay today & what really stood out was how involved Marlion got, especially in the second half.  Marly was into everything up to his elbows!  None of it was pretty football either, he did all the hard things that rarely gained him a possession, but his workrate was through the roof.  He ran, chased, smothered, crashed, bashed, scragged & belted his way through them all night!       :thumbsup       
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #292 on: October 25, 2020, 09:17:43 PM »
I think a few need to pay more attention to the game instead their own agendas!  I watched a replay today & what really stood out was how involved Marlion got, especially in the second half.  Marly was into everything up to his elbows!  None of it was pretty football either, he did all the hard things that rarely gained him a possession, but his workrate was through the roof.  He ran, chased, smothered, crashed, bashed, scragged & belted his way through them all night!       :thumbsup       

:clapping just  :clapping

Offline jammo3368

• Tiger Rookie
« Reply #293 on: October 25, 2020, 11:01:35 PM »
I thought he played a good game. Lots of tackles and pressure. Easy 7/10 for me. 

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #294 on: October 25, 2020, 11:39:20 PM »
It was a game of two halves. In the first quarter you thought “oh poo” but the whole backline was rattled. After Martin scores that ridiculous resuscitating goal everything kind of clicked for everyone. It was similar to his game against port where early on he was fumbly but then settled as the game wore on

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #295 on: October 26, 2020, 04:32:57 PM »
Pickett's random acts of kindness

By Daniel Cherny
The Age
October 26, 2020 — 2.31pm

They are the random acts of kindness that sum up Marlion Pickett's attitude towards life. Pickett is a dual premiership player after just 20 AFL games, with Saturday night's grand final win for Richmond yet another chapter in his scarcely believable tale of redemption and emergence.

Pickett is unflappable on and off-field, and his generosity of spirit shone through on a couple of occasions in grand final week.

One came when he was out for dinner on the Gold Coast and approached for a selfie by a fan.

"One fella asked for a photo, so we took a photo out there," Pickett said on Monday.

"We started talking and stuff. He's going through a really hard time at the moment about him and his partner having a big fight. He got kicked out of his house. Has two kids. I was talking to him, trying to make him feel a bit better. Just to make sure he was all right and work a way through it. He was a really nice guy to talk to. I don't like leaving people that aren't in the right state of mind by themselves, especially when they're going through a hard time."

Pickett got his new acquaintance's details and plans to keep in touch.

"I messaged him the other day, just before the granny to check if he was all right and stuff like that. I'll probably message him this week just to see how he's going.

"I'm always there for someone if they need talking to. It doesn't matter if I know you or I don't at all."

The other instance came when Pickett was asked by friends if he could help with spare grand final tickets. This is a man with four kids and on a COVID-19-slashed rookie wage, but there was no thought of him asking for recompense.

I'm always there for someone if they need talking to. It doesn't matter if I know you or I don't at all.

"Instead of making some extra bucks and making some extra dollars off them, I ended up giving them away," he said.

"The people that were coming from Darwin wanted to pay for them but I don't really like selling things to people, if I'm not using them and I don't need them. It makes me feel better just to give them away.

"One of them is like an old mate. He asked if he could buy them off me and I said ,'Nah, don't worry about it. I'm not using them and I'm not going to trade you for something I never paid for so just take them.'

"I'm not the kind of person to overcharge for tickets that are hard to come by."

Pickett, 28, is set to remain at Richmond for at least another couple of seasons with a new contract imminent.

Having won his second AFL flag on Saturday he has kept things low-key ahead of a return to Western Australia on Wednesday where he will be reunited with his unwell father.

"I know it's a big game and what not but it's just another game. I haven't really been celebrating, I've just been with my family and enjoying time with them. Just probably a bit of family time after a good win. The kids have been struggling a bit. It's time to get them out and about," he said.

"[Dad's] all right. Struggling every now and then but doing the best he can do."

It is only 17 months since Richmond recruited Pickett in the mid-season draft despite a finger injury. Having spent time in prison during his youth, his restorative tale has been part of football legend since his grand final day debut last year.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/pickett-s-random-acts-of-kindness-20201026-p568kp.html

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #296 on: October 27, 2020, 07:48:49 AM »
Hope he goes to Freo. Turnover after turnover. We are better off playing a kid on the wing. Ralphsmith a better option going forward.

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #297 on: October 28, 2020, 03:09:31 PM »
Hardness
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #298 on: November 03, 2020, 04:24:39 PM »
Pickett's game was better than first thought on a second viewing as you notice more of the stuff he did off the ball. His pressure & chase down tackling stopped the Cats at a number of key moments.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #299 on: November 03, 2020, 09:21:30 PM »
Pickett's game was better than first thought on a second viewing as you notice more of the stuff he did off the ball. His pressure & chase down tackling stopped the Cats at a number of key moments.

Yup noticed that too when I watched again last night.