Author Topic: Pick 12 - who should we draft?  (Read 87441 times)

Rampstar

Re: Pick 12 - who should we draft?
« Reply #405 on: November 15, 2014, 09:30:29 AM »
I'm still on the Weller and Duggan bandwagon. If they pick Ellis it will dead set give me the shizts
why duggan ramps??. of all the mids linked to us hes the one i least want at 12.

What have you seen of Duggan out of curiosity?

I haven't seen much of any of the lads especially this year so what Ive done is look at a few highlights of very limited vision. In the midfielders I look for 1) can they kick the footy properly 2) can they find footy 3) can they run and carry with speed 4) can they kick goals. Ive come to the view that a midfielder who cant kick goals should be downscored on ratings. I like Weller and Duggan and Ahern from that angle, its why Ive downgraded Ellis who I don't particularly like as a player, its why I liked the video of Jack Lonie whilst he may not get to the midfield he is a goalkicker and a quality small inside 50 is really important. We need players with a bit of class who can hurt the opposition on the scoreboard. Weller, Duggan and Ahern in that order at 12 then hopefully we have some luck down the draft.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #406 on: November 16, 2014, 05:11:51 AM »
Emma Quayle's article in the Age today ...

The words "best available" get used a lot at this time of year, and always come with an asterisk attached. Best can only ever be in the eye of each invididual recruiter when you're talking about teenage footballers, and if you asked all 18 recruiters to rank the best players in this year's draft none of their lists would come back looking the same.

This year's group looks good, and reasonably big. It's incredibly even, once you get past the first handful of names, and filled with some very different types. It's easy to look back on past drafts and see who should have been picked where, but at this time of year, the future isn't easy to predict.

This is the eighth time I have put together my own rankings, and narrowing the list to just 30 players was tough. In fact, it was expanded from the usual 25 in order to squeeze a few more in. The players always feel hard to split - at this point in time any of them could be anything, that's the best bit about any draft - but this year it felt like pushing one up the order nudged another too far down.

This time last year, the draft was giving some recruiters the shivers. "It scared me half to death going in," said one. This year, the feeling's a bit different. "This year I feel comfortable," he said. "This year I think there will be players we're happy to pick right the way through. I'm really looking forward to this one."

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/2014-afl-draft-a-level-playing-field-for-recruiters-20141115-11nfn5.html

She rates Duggan, Ahern and Cockatoo inside the top 10 whereas she has Weller and Ellis in the late teens.

1. Heeney
2. Wright
3. Petracca
4. McCartin
5. Moore
6. Brayshaw
7. Laverde
8. Duggan
9. Ahern
10. Cockatoo
11. Lever
12. Steele
13. Pickett
14. Lamb
15. De Goey
16. Durdin
17. Langford
18. Ellis
19. Weller
20. Neal-Bullen

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #407 on: November 16, 2014, 08:38:29 AM »
Speaking to a mate last week involved in TAC Cup and he rated Heeney the best kid he had seen play this year too. Just goes to show you what a steel the Swan are getting.. That's all the comp needs.
Also he didn't rate Laverde as high as most.
Personally I rate Duggan from the limited vision I have seen of him over a few others that will probably go before him. I'd be rapt if he fell to us at pick 12.
Really needed another pick or two in the 20's to early 30's IMO. It's the best bunch of kids I have seen for a long time. And we could have got them pretty easily if only we had some balls. 

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #408 on: November 16, 2014, 09:33:00 AM »
Preferences for pick 12 of likely available picks..
Weller
Duggan
Cockatoo
Durdin
Ellis

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #409 on: November 16, 2014, 07:03:38 PM »
Duggan
Weller
Durdin
Cockatoo
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #410 on: November 16, 2014, 10:46:02 PM »
Star draftees to be assessed by club medicos in second screening
Jon Ralph
Herald-Sun
November 16, 2014 8:00PM

THE AFL will conduct a second medical screening on 10 potential star draftees on Tuesday.

The unprecedented move comes as AFL talent manager Kevin Sheehan labelled Thursday week’s pool as one of the deepest in years.

He says not since the drafts before the expansion era have all clubs had access to such top-end talent and quality selections later in the pool.

AFL club medicos will assemble to assess players including Calder Cannons talls Peter Wright and Jake Lever and Murray Bushrangers key defender Caleb Marchbank.

Sheehan rates “Two Metre Peter” Wright in his top four players but he missed the TAC Grand Final with a knee injury and he could slide until late in the first round given an inconsistent season.

Jake Lever missed the entire season with a knee reconstruction but is a versatile defender who some have linked with Melbourne as high as pick three.

Vic Country representative Marchbank missed this year’s national championships with a knee injury and is ranked in the top 25 selections despite stress fractures that kept him out for the 2013 season.

Sheehan said clubs were right to stock up on picks for the 2014 national draft.

“The thing about the draft is the evenness of the total group. We reckon there is nothing between picks 12 and 35,” he said.

“Once you get past the first four or five picks you would be happy to take selections in the 30s and 40s because of the depth of the boys there.

“I am still of the belief there are four outstanding selections and Peter Wright is one of them along with (Christian) Petracca, (Angus) Brayshaw and (Patrick) McCartin, but clubs are bullish.

“One year the Giants had 11 of the first 15 picks but clubs are up and about because they all have access, they all have picks by the time we hit 20.

“They are doing more homework than ever which is why we will have 10 or 12 in for second medicals, clubs want to leave nothing to chance.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl-draft-2014-star-draftees-to-be-assessed-by-club-medicos-in-second-screening/story-fnaqgujp-1227124860710

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #411 on: November 16, 2014, 11:10:03 PM »
The draft experts are still saying it's a raffle after pick 4. It all depends what GWS and Collingwood do with their picks at 5-7. Pickett & Goddard expected to be two of the three Giants' selections. Brett Anderson has the choice of their 3rd selection as between Laverde/Ahern/Marchbank/De Goey. He also has Duggan as Gold Coast's 2nd preference after Laverde at pick 8.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #412 on: November 18, 2014, 01:39:09 AM »
Callum Twomey @AFL_CalTwomey  3 hours ago

Some draft notes.. Peter Wright believed to be meeting with GWS & Geelong this week. Many clubs have put in more time on him in recent weeks/

Expect it to be a draft where more than a couple of highly-rated players get through to late teens. Weller, Ahern, Marchbank possibilities.

Just think it's very even. Even though the top-12 might not contain as many standouts as last year, this year's far deeper.

https://twitter.com/AFL_CalTwomey/with_replies

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #413 on: November 18, 2014, 03:20:14 AM »
It seems the latest news is Duggan will most likely be gone before our pick.

Paige Cardona’s Phantom Draft: 6.0
Paige Cardona 
boundforglorynews.com
17 November, 2014

We’re now under two weeks from the National Draft, and as such my monthly phantom drafts throughout 2014 are almost coming to an end. This is my final, full four-round phantom draft for 2014, with one more of the first round coming the week of the National Draft.

I’d like to take this opportunity to thank in particular Brett Anderson, Emma Quayle and Terry Wallace who have been great mentors and industry experts who’ve allowed me to bounce ideas, thoughts and opinions off them, whilst also guiding me and giving me invaluable feedback throughout the year. This has enabled me to deliver such frequent and in depth draft analysis in 2014.

Without further ado, here is edition 6.0.

1. Petracca   (St K)
2. Brayshaw (Melb)
3. McCartin   (Melb)
4. Pickett     (GWS)
5. Laverde   (Coll)
6. Lever       (GWS)
7. Goddard   (GWS)
8. Duggan    (GC)
9. Moore      (Coll)
10. De Goey (Geel)
11. Cockatoo (WCE)
12. Weller      (Rich)

Pick 12: Richmond – Lachie Weller

Position: Midfielder
Height: 181 cm, Weight: 71 kg, DOB: 23/02/1996
Club: Southport
Projected draft range: 6-15
Plays like: Dayne Beams

A player whose teammates desperately want the ball in the hands of, Lachie Weller is slick, polished and has loads of hurt factor. Weller is a brilliant decision maker and a player that goes about it with a certain flair that makes him a bit of an excitement machine. He’s got speed and is a touch flamboyant, yet he is arguably the most well-rounded and refined midfielder in this year’s draft crop. The medium-sized midfielder wins his own ball on the inside, and can hurt the opposition on the outside just as easily. In particular, I rate his desperation to move the ball on, often arching his back and finding space to zip past opponents and offer some pizzazz in front of goal. He’s got some features of his game that go unnoticed to the regular fan, namely his work ethic and gut running, whilst his transition running rates within among the best in an AFL sense. He pushes behind the ball and likes to get his hands dirty in defence, but he’ll just as quickly be involved in a link of handballs and kicking goals on the counter.

Why? The Tigers are looking for more polish on the outside and with Duggan potentially gone at this selection, Richmond will have a headache in choosing between other likely types such as a Corey Ellis and Paul Ahern. Ultimately, it is Weller’s all-round game and consistency which proves too good to pass up.

In the mix: Peter Wright, Liam Duggan, Nakia Cockatoo, Corey Ellis, Paul Ahern, Sam Durdin.

Full phantom draft" http://boundforglorynews.com/paige-cardonas-phantom-draft-6-0/

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #414 on: November 18, 2014, 04:18:41 AM »
I'm starting to like the look of Ellis guys why don't ppl want him at 12.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #415 on: November 18, 2014, 07:31:53 AM »
One Ellis is enough

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #416 on: November 18, 2014, 08:32:03 AM »
One Ellis is enough
Agreed  ;)
More than enough....although he did run second in an intra club time trial. 

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #417 on: November 18, 2014, 08:33:57 AM »
It seems the latest news is Duggan will most likely be gone before our pick.

Paige Cardona’s Phantom Draft: 6.0
Paige Cardona 
boundforglorynews.com
17 November, 2014

We’re now under two weeks from the National Draft, and as such my monthly phantom drafts throughout 2014 are almost coming to an end. This is my final, full four-round phantom draft for 2014, with one more of the first round coming the week of the National Draft.

I’d like to take this opportunity to thank in particular Brett Anderson, Emma Quayle and Terry Wallace who have been great mentors and industry experts who’ve allowed me to bounce ideas, thoughts and opinions off them, whilst also guiding me and giving me invaluable feedback throughout the year. This has enabled me to deliver such frequent and in depth draft analysis in 2014.

Without further ado, here is edition 6.0.

1. Petracca   (St K)
2. Brayshaw (Melb)
3. McCartin   (Melb)
4. Pickett     (GWS)
5. Laverde   (Coll)
6. Lever       (GWS)
7. Goddard   (GWS)
8. Duggan    (GC)
9. Moore      (Coll)
10. De Goey (Geel)
11. Cockatoo (WCE)
12. Weller      (Rich)

Pick 12: Richmond – Lachie Weller

Position: Midfielder
Height: 181 cm, Weight: 71 kg, DOB: 23/02/1996
Club: Southport
Projected draft range: 6-15
Plays like: Dayne Beams

A player whose teammates desperately want the ball in the hands of, Lachie Weller is slick, polished and has loads of hurt factor. Weller is a brilliant decision maker and a player that goes about it with a certain flair that makes him a bit of an excitement machine. He’s got speed and is a touch flamboyant, yet he is arguably the most well-rounded and refined midfielder in this year’s draft crop. The medium-sized midfielder wins his own ball on the inside, and can hurt the opposition on the outside just as easily. In particular, I rate his desperation to move the ball on, often arching his back and finding space to zip past opponents and offer some pizzazz in front of goal. He’s got some features of his game that go unnoticed to the regular fan, namely his work ethic and gut running, whilst his transition running rates within among the best in an AFL sense. He pushes behind the ball and likes to get his hands dirty in defence, but he’ll just as quickly be involved in a link of handballs and kicking goals on the counter.

Why? The Tigers are looking for more polish on the outside and with Duggan potentially gone at this selection, Richmond will have a headache in choosing between other likely types such as a Corey Ellis and Paul Ahern. Ultimately, it is Weller’s all-round game and consistency which proves too good to pass up.

In the mix: Peter Wright, Liam Duggan, Nakia Cockatoo, Corey Ellis, Paul Ahern, Sam Durdin.

Full phantom draft" http://boundforglorynews.com/paige-cardonas-phantom-draft-6-0/
Surely we take Wright if he is available?
Don't really rate Weller

dwaino

« Reply #418 on: November 18, 2014, 10:17:17 AM »
Surely you would go Ahern or Wright ahead of Ellis or Weller if either was still on the table? Weller could go alright though.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #419 on: November 18, 2014, 11:34:19 AM »
Surely you'd draft hurn over jon