Author Topic: Are Tiger supporters more understanding now?  (Read 2115 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Are Tiger supporters more understanding now?
« on: May 04, 2007, 04:58:32 AM »
Going by this article in the Australian we are. No more eating our own by the majority of Tiger supporters.

---------------------------

Cats drop supporters on threshold
Chip Le Grand
The Australian
May 04, 2007

GEELONG chief executive Brian Cook says Cats supporters have reached a "threshold of intolerance". Exactly what this means is hard to explain. But it can't be good.

An hour east down the Princes Highway, Richmond football director Greg Miller says Tigers supporters are disappointed but not devastated. The majority, Miller believes, understand what the club is working towards.

If the winless Richmond loses to Geelong this Sunday, it will be its worst season start since 1962. But so far, neither disgruntled supporters nor edgy board members have the Tigers by the tail.

Geelong, by contrast, has won two games this season. But a Geelong loss to Richmond would precipitate a full-blown crisis at Corio Bay. As a reference point, Cook described the impact of last Sunday's loss to the Kangaroos as "extreme".

"For our supporter base, it was another form of deja vu, another Groundhog Day," Cook said. "People are concerned and anxious about the way we lost and the supporter base at Geelong is on a threshold and has been this year - a threshold of intolerance. It expects more.

"When you don't reach those expectations, which we didn't last week, it certainly has a very strong impact in Geelong and on the footy club. There is an extreme impact. Even though we lost by just over two goals, we get battered around the ears and I think the media tend to jump on it, as do our supporters, and they feed off each other."

A question Cook has pondered is whether the Geelong Football Club is erratic by nature or nurtured that way by the wild swings in perceptions that blow in from outside the Skilled Stadium walls.

"If I knew the answer to those questions I would be earning $100,000 a week on the speaking circuit," Cook said. "It is not a simple thing. I don't know the answer. That is the truth."

When Miller speaks of "educating" supporters, it evokes images of Richmond members being sent into rice paddies for peasant instruction. The strongest evidence of a cultural revolution at Punt Road is the supporter patience being extended to Miller, coach Terry Wallace and his team.

"I think the majority of our supporters understand that what we are trying to build here is a long-term team for the future," Miller said.

"OK, it is disappointing week by week and frustrating as you leave the ground. But I think a lot of people leave the ground frustrated and sit down in the cool light of day and think we are a step closer to being a good side.

"As frustrated and disappointed as they are - because they want to win, they want the bragging rights on a Monday and they want to see us keep on going up - I think there is also a clear understanding of the things we have got in place, that those things will take time but that we are not that far away.

"Four or five years ago, I would get 40 or 50 emails expressing anger and disappointment in all sections of the club. There is not that anger now. I even get emails of understanding, urging us not to fall into our old trap of being led down another path by the media or minority of supporters."

Cook has changed his email address and no longer responds directly to the Monday morning deluge that used to fill his inbox. This is not because Geelong supporters are especially abusive, it is a reflection of Cook being unable to keep up with the volume of correspondence that comes from running the only football team in town and still do his job.

There are two accepted reasons why Geelong carries a greater burden of expectation into Sunday's game than Richmond.

The first is the Cats, with much the same names on their playing list as they have now, made a preliminary final in 2004 and came within seconds of beating eventual premiers Sydney in the 2005 finals series. Assuming a linear progression, the Cats stumbled badly last season and are now, at 2-3, in a similar position to where they were this time last year.

Richmond, by contrast, has not played finals since 2001 and is seen to be in the middle stages of a long-term rebuild.

The second is that Geelong coach Mark Thompson is out of contract while Wallace is secure until the end of 2009. The public fixation on Thompson's status has become an end in itself for Geelong - a strict timetable for team performance.

Cook does not challenge the first reason but questions a key assumption in the second, namely that Thompson must deliver this season or be out of a job.

"There is a bit of a misnomer out there in relation to 'Bomber'," he said. "I think some coaches get more second chances than others."

Regardless of what happens to Thompson at the year's end, the clock is not ticking on Geelong. If Richmond has assembled a young playing list, Geelong's list is just one month older, on average. The oldest Geelong player is Darren Milburn, who has just turned 30. Last year's top five in the club's best and fairest count were aged between 23 and 26.

Whatever happens this Sunday, there is no need for Geelong to panic. The Cats are moving into the most difficult part of their draw, with matches against the six non-Victorian teams and St Kilda over the following eight weeks, but these are games Geelong needed to win anyway to finish somewhere near the top four.

Yet such reasoning will count for little if Geelong does lose, as Cook knows only too well.

"I am not going to go there," he said. "We will wait and see what happens in the Richmond game."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21667639-2722,00.html

letsgetiton!

Re: Are Tiger supporters more understanding now?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 08:08:16 AM »
god i hope we thump the cats

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2007, 04:45:12 PM »
The Cats are where we were after and 95 and 2001. Overrating their list big time and building up expectations only for the charade to fail and send their supporters feral.

We are more tolerant now because we know the side has a long way to go and at least we see a long-term plan.

Bomber Thompson can pack his bags if they lose to us on Sunday. Imagine any other coach saying publicly, even if it was a backhander towards his players, that we didn't know who was on Adam Simpson who collected 41 possessions. He also asked the playing group what he should say to the media in his press conference  :wallywink.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

letsgetiton!

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2007, 05:13:28 PM »
if we thump the cats this week, with the very young team we are fielding, you can bet ya bottom dollar, thompsom will be gone

Tigermonk

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 03:59:21 PM »
When we beat geelong tomorrow Thompson can kiss his @rse goodbye he would surely be sacked  :clapping
aint your wife a cat X you be divorcing her too  :thumbsup

Life goes on

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 04:07:14 PM »
Never forgiving that we took Tambling in front of Franklin.
Biggest mistake ever
Franklin will nearly kick 100 goals this year

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2007, 04:48:10 PM »
I agree Jack.

You could see from his first few games Franlkin was going to be a champ.

Players with the raw ingredients he has - pace, skill, height, athleticism come around once every 5 years, if that.

Tambling will be a decent footballer but not a champ IMHO.

Ox

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2007, 05:03:19 PM »
stuff franklin.
Get over it ladies.

Tambling will be a gun.

As for not eating our own,the day that happens is the day I stop following the club

letsgetiton!

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2007, 06:04:49 PM »
When we beat geelong tomorrow Thompson can kiss his @rse goodbye he would surely be sacked  :clapping
aint your wife a cat X you be divorcing her too  :thumbsup

my wife was a cat, she has been a tiger since we have been married , she knows the rules, my way or the highway!

letsgetiton!

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2007, 06:09:43 PM »
Biggest mistake ever

i dont really care about buddy, we made teh right choice.

injuries slowed down blingers

and by the way, blingers 4 goals in 1 quarter is much more impressive than buddies 5 v a pathetic and overrated bomber outfit

ppl say why did the tigers draft KK, well i ask why did teh bumbers take mal micheal and why did teh dogs take aker.  mal is a hack and has nothing to offer the bumbers, that has been proven all yr

and aker, has lost all he had, he looks slow and out of place, thank god we didnt get him

in 3 yrs time, we will be thanking god we have tambling and not buddy cos i bet by then blingers will be dominating and buddy will be back in WA

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2007, 06:21:10 PM »
Biggest mistake ever

He would kick 200 if he got to play against Essendon every week.

Do you think Hawthorn are slitting their wrists choosing Hodge over Judd?! For Heaven's sake they could have got Franklin and Tambling but chose Roughead ahead of both. In fact under the current system they would have missed out on Franklin  ::). Both Tambling and Franklin will be guns but you need more than one gun player. You need a strong list. Typical Victorian club mentality to think a few guns is enough nowdays to win a flag. No wonder they haven't won one for 7 years.

Ramps

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2007, 06:42:11 PM »
Its about developing a group...Franklin is good infact very good but if there midfield cant feed him when they play against better midfields...what then?

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2007, 06:52:45 PM »
Its about developing a group...Franklin is good infact very good but if there midfield cant feed him when they play against better midfields...what then?
Exactly. It's a team game. Hawthorn played Campbell Brown on Lucas today and despite the foot difference in height Lucas didn't get a sniff because the slow Essendon midfield were smashed.

Offline Tigertailz

• Premiership Captain
  • "here we go again!"
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2007, 07:29:41 PM »
Biggest mistake ever
I really dont understand the logic behind it considering that we were crying out for KPPs at that point in time...buddy was awesome today...just the type of player we dont have...someone who grabs the game and brings the points home...

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2007, 07:34:34 PM »
I really dont understand the logic behind it considering that we were crying out for KPPs at that point in time...buddy was awesome today...just the type of player we dont have...someone who grabs the game and brings the points home...
Our midfield was horribly slow as well as skill-less. That's where games are won. We had to start from scratch in virtually every position.