Author Topic: Hardwick's post-match media conference  (Read 1202 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Hardwick's post-match media conference
« on: June 28, 2014, 07:42:00 PM »
Dimma's round 15 post-match media conference ...

VIDEO: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/video/2014-06-28/round-15-hardwick-post-match

-------------------------------------------------------------

Hardwick hopes to get rid of 'Alex Rance moments'

Ben Collins 
afl.com.au
June 28, 2014 6:50 PM

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick has afforded defender Alex Rance both a "huge wrap" and a reality check that symbolises the Tigers' predicament, after their 44-point win over St Kilda on Saturday.

Hardwick lauded Rance as perhaps the best one-on-one player in the AFL, but also acknowledged that the defender’s occasional costly brain fades, among others from teammates, was an area the Tigers needed to address if they were to improve.

Rance limited the influence of Saints skipper Nick Riewoldt (one goal) and collected 19 disposals himself to be one of the best players afield.

However, one passage of play summed up the Rance package.

Late in the last quarter, he beat Riewoldt in another duel deep in defence only to send a short pass straight into the arms of Saints substitute Darren Minchington, who slotted his second goal.

It was another inexplicable "Alex Rance Moment".

"We competed really hard (but) we lacked a lot of polish (compared to) where we've been," Hardwick said. "We're getting our hands on the ball enough (but) we're just making some uncharacteristic mistakes.

"There's just mistakes (where) we give blatant turnovers.

"Alex (Rance) had an outstanding game today versus Nick Riewoldt. (He) won that contest. He's a better player than that last kick he has across the arc there.

"You don't normally watch the opposition but I was watching Nick Riewoldt – the work-rate he puts in, he just puts his (opponents) into the ground. Alex is an outstanding athlete as well but the decision-making under duress when you're tired, (he) comes a little bit undone.

"You've got to take the good with the bad (with Rance).

"I'm going to put a huge wrap on the bloke – I don't think there's a better one-on-one player in the comp at the moment than Alex. He wins the majority of his contests. The other stuff we'll probably take now and then, but I think he's a great talent."

Hardwick was pleased by the response of the Tigers' nucleus of senior players just days after he said they hadn't performed to the standard expected of them this season.

The best of the Tigers' leaders was skipper Trent Cotchin, who had 31 touches and kicked a career-best five goals, while Brett Deledio had 29 touches and one goal.

"Trent (Cotchin) was outstanding at the start and Jack (Riewoldt) led from the front also, and Brett (Deledio)," Hardwick said.

"We've just got to maintain that consistency. The good sides, their better players perform week in, week out. We've been probably lacking that consistency from those guys, but it was good to see them shine today and (we) look forward to that form hopefully continuing next week."

Essendon great Matthew Lloyd had questioned Cotchin’s lack of flair with the ball, believing he should be gaining more metreage with his disposals, but former Bombers teammate Hardwick disagreed.

"I thought it was a poor criticism. Metres gained, he led. It was a bizarre comment for mine … Don't let the facts get in the way of a good story," he said.

Hardwick was determined to finish off the season strongly and regain some respect.

"We have been incredibly disappointing this year. Me (and) the players … share the fans' frustration," he said.

"We have just got to win some respect back off our fans (and) the AFL, and win some games because we should be a lot better placed than we are now. But unfortunately it is all our own doing."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2014-06-28/no-room-for-rance-moments
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 10:48:51 PM by one-eyed »

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Again - the focus on deledio. Riewoldt. Martin. Cotchin. Rance  having to be amazing week in week out if we are going tomb half decent side.

And the seemingly blind faith in the bottom six is disturbing

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Richmond coach Damien Hardwick confident Tigers can cause damage in the last third of the season
Glenn McFarlane and Warwick Green
Herald-Sun
June 28, 2014 6:57PM

RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick is convinced his underachieving side can cause some damage to finals contenders as well as win back some lost respect in the last third of the season.

Buoyed by the performance of its experienced players, whom the coach put pressure on during the week, Richmond was never seriously threatened as it overcame St Kilda by 44 points at Etihad Stadium.

But Hardwick maintained that the Tigers had to get rid of their mistakes and lapses during games if they can make the most of the next two months.

“It’s always good to win — obviously we (hadn’t) had one for a while,” Hardwick said breaking a run of four successive losses. “(We) probably thought we played below expectations.”

“We got the four points today, we competed really hard. We’re getting our hands on the ball enough (but) we’re just making some uncharacteristic mistakes that we’ve just got to get out of our game.

“There’s just mistakes (where) we give blatant turnovers.”

“We can compete really well. What we have got to iron out is that inconsistency in performance.”

Hardwick praised the work of the club’s senior players, particularly Trent Cotchin, who willed himself into the contest from the first term and finished with 31 touches and five goals.

“Trent (Cotchin) was outstanding at the start and Jack (Riewoldt) led from the front also, and Brett (Deledio),” he said.

“We’ve just got to maintain that consistency. The good sides, their better players perform week in, week out. We’ve been probably lacking that consistency from those guys but it was good to see them shine today.”

He said Alex Rance had the best of the duel with Nick Riewoldt, keeping the Saints’ skipper to a goal, albeit with the frustration of a couple of errant kicks from the defender that resulted in St Kilda goals.

“I don’t think there’s a better one-on-one player in the comp at the moment than Alex,” he said. “He wins the majority of his contests. The other stuff we’ll probably take now and then, but I think he’s a great talent.”

Richmond had to work hard regain the trust of its fans, and the respect of the rest of the competition, Hardwick said.

“We’ve been incredibly disappointing this year ... we share the fans’ frustration,” he said. “We have just got to win some respect back of our fans (and) the AFL because we should be a lot better placed than we are now.

“Unfortunately, it is all our own doing.”

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/richmond-coach-damien-hardwick-confident-tigers-can-cause-damage-in-the-last-third-of-the-season/story-fndv8t7m-1226970050230

tony_montana

Re: Hardwick's post-match media conference
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 10:56:10 PM »
spud mkII

Rampstar

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 11:08:24 PM »
yep

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2014, 11:43:53 PM »
Yep all I'm waiting for now is "we won't make the 8 but we'll shape it." :help

Offline Tigershark

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2014, 11:50:47 PM »
It pees me off more than anything that boofhead say he won't gift players in the magoos a game but rewards incompetence in the ones..........nincompoop  :banghead

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2014, 05:32:25 AM »
I'd prefer he bag players who are actually useless than take light hearted pot shots at Rance who is probably his most honest player.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2014, 07:43:59 AM »
I'd prefer he bag players who are actually useless than take light hearted pot shots at Rance who is probably his most honest player.

Agree, plus cause damage to other teams, silly stuff, why not consolidate, blood young players so we can find out who to strip from our list and be a real force from the first ball up next year

Offline Eat_em_Alive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2014, 08:37:37 AM »

Agree, plus cause damage to other teams, silly stuff, why not consolidate, blood young players so we can find out who to strip from our list and be a real force from the first ball up next year

Because they have clearly decided there is no talent in the reserves and are deluded enough to think this list will go fwd next year  :help
The anywhere, anytime Tigers.
E A T  E M  A L I V E  M O F O S

Offline Darth Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimmasty RFC!
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2014, 09:38:11 AM »
Respect will only come by making the hard calls Dimma.

Some wins against the bottom 3 sides does not constitute winning back the hearts & minds of members and supporters that have seen the tripe dished out in 2014.

Tap a couple of blokes on the shoulder, move more than a few on and invest some games into the VFL kids !

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2014, 03:14:19 PM »
Yep all I'm waiting for now is "we won't make the 8 but we'll shape it." :help

I thought that's what this meant-
"RICHMOND coach Damien Hardwick is convinced his underachieving side can cause some damage to finals contenders as well as win back some lost respect in the last third of the season."

RFC has officially gone full circle.

This is pathetic.
He's. stuffn idiot
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2014, 03:16:10 PM »
Respect will only come by making the hard calls Dimma.

Some wins against the bottom 3 sides does not constitute winning back the hearts & minds of members and supporters that have seen the tripe dished out in 2014.

Tap a couple of blokes on the shoulder, move more than a few on and invest some games into the VFL kids !

:thumbsup  :clapping  :bow
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Rampstar

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2014, 03:30:08 PM »
You guys are kidding yourselves if you think Hardwit is gonna tap players on the shoulder and tell em to bugger off. He's got his favorites and they aint going anywhere until Hardwick gets the arse.  :help

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2014, 04:20:12 PM »
He had his time to choose what players HE WANTED.
He chose like an imbecile, going after Hampson, Thomas,Houli.
Not enough nouse.
Move him on.
Caracella and Balmey.