Author Topic: Gas takes a pay cut  (Read 2533 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Gas takes a pay cut
« on: September 14, 2004, 02:01:03 AM »
Gaspar accepts Tigers pay cut
Greg Denham
The Australian
September 14, 2004

RICHMOND defender Darren Gaspar will take a significant pay cut to remain at Punt Road for the final two years of his contract.

The Tigers had fielded several inquiries for the services of the out-of-form full-back, but his staggering price tag put many rival clubs off making Richmond a serious offer, even on a cost-sharing basis.

Gaspar has served three years of a back-ended five-year contract and had the capacity to earn a total of $1.3 million in 2005 and 2006.

The 28-year-old was secured long-term by Richmond after the West Australian was tempted by a multi-million-dollar offer to join Fremantle after winning the Tigers' best-and-fairest award in 2001 and gaining All-Australian selection in 2000 and 2001.

West Coast and the Kangaroos showed initial interest, but that has since been tempered by financial restrictions.

Gaspar had his worst season this year and was dropped to the VFL for a period in the second half of the season before playing the final five games.

His form tapered off after resuming from a mid-year knee reconstruction last year.

Gaspar and his management are understood to have agreed to a pay cut after meeting last week with Richmond football director Greg Miller.

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,10755765%255E2722,00.html
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 02:05:15 AM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Gas takes a pay cut
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2004, 02:55:08 AM »
The Tigers had fielded several inquiries for the services of the out-of-form full-back, but his staggering price tag put many rival clubs off making Richmond a serious offer, even on a cost-sharing basis.

West Coast and the Kangaroos showed initial interest, but that has since been tempered by financial restrictions.

Sounds like we tried to trade him but predictably no other club was stupid enough to take him off our hands at even half that amount of money.

Gaspar has served three years of a back-ended five-year contract and had the capacity to earn a total of $1.3 million in 2005 and 2006.

Sheesh! $650,000 a year for a full back. What were we thinking  :gobdrop. Thank you Mark Brayshaw for that one  :banghead. At least we're no longer paying for Holland as well :-\.

It'd be interesting to know what "significant" means in regards to our TPP? Whether it's just to get us down to 97% of the salary cap or moreso to enable us to get a decent out of contract player in the PSD. Anyway although he was stupidly overpaid by us at least some credit deserves to go Gas' way (I'll get some arguments there  :lol) for taking a pay cut when there was no legal requirement for him to do so. Especially if it allows us to chase after someone else. 
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 02:56:42 AM by mightytiges »

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 08:42:59 AM »
Anyway although he was stupidly overpaid by us at least some credit deserves to go Gas' way (I'll get some arguments there  :lol) for taking a pay cut when there was no legal requirement for him to do so. Especially if it allows us to chase after someone else. 

You get no arguement form me MT - he has done the right thing. Granted the Club has overpaid him - can you really blame any player for accepting a big fat contract when it is offered. He didn't have to do it but has ad he deserves some kudos for that. Also, kudos to Greg Miller for continuing to take the tough road  :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

froars

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 09:43:54 AM »
Gas will show all you doubters next year - you will eat all your nasty little words - and I'll be here to remind you of them  ;D

Jackstar

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2004, 09:55:03 AM »
I reckon he might too.
Play him up forward for a few games, he never misses a shot at goal ;)

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2004, 10:00:35 AM »
Good.  Now that he's taken a pay cut we'll have a better chance of trading the dud.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2004, 10:19:01 AM »
unless hes gone from $650k down to $400k a year we have no chance of trading him...at $400k we could put in half (if he goes to another club) which means that over a 2 yr period our exposure to Gaspar goes from $1.3 million down to $400,000 a saving of $900,000...but the truth is i doubt Miller has got him down that far...and I think we are stuck with for the next 2 years. Nevertheless its a start...and Miller continues to do a good job!

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2004, 10:49:24 AM »
As much as everyone wants to put crap on him....I had faith in the guy taking a pay-cut....good on him and I sure as hell look forward to him returning to form next year like I know he will...

Lets just relax with all the trade talk but seriously Im going to chuck at the thought of having Ray Hall play key position backman ahead of Gas.....or even worse, Zantuck.
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2004, 11:16:07 AM »
Richmond needs to get 1 key defender OM21 over this trade period. How they do it is up to them. I agree Hall and Zantuck and Kellaway are not answers. Unfortunately however, thats what Spud and his mates have left us with!

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2004, 01:02:06 PM »
Play him up forward for a few games, he never misses a shot at goal ;)

Interesting you say this Jack.

2 very wise men once told me that Gaspar is the most accurate kick for goal at the Club ;) :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2004, 02:52:41 PM »
Yep 21 goals 9 behinds at Richmond = 70%. A better conversion rate at goal than Lloyd, Neitz, Barry Hall and Gehrig :rollin

Jackstar

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2004, 04:09:27 PM »
Hey Mightytiges, when he kicks the ball,it mighten spin properly but it does go straight, from set shots, he never misses ;)

Offline 1980

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2004, 04:35:04 PM »

Must admit I'm a bit surprised about this one. Is it Miller's skills of persuasion, or Darren's ability to put the club ahead of himself?

Irrespective, hats off to him as he could have been difficult and stuck by what he is contractually entitled to. Now hopefully he can regain something of what he has lost back on the park.