Author Topic: Alternative guernseys  (Read 139218 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Alternative guernseys
« Reply #75 on: December 18, 2005, 07:14:42 AM »
with fatter eligible numbers hopefully

Greenberg on EOTT said about the numbers:

Look for a bigger, bolder number on the back of the famous Tiger guernsey in 2006 . . .

The Club has moved to make the numbers easier to read on the yellow sash, which was reintroduced on the back of the jumper for the ’05 season.

Alleluyah!
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline bluey_21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Road Runner
« Reply #76 on: December 21, 2005, 09:35:13 PM »
I like the move to the traditional guenrsey, but sheesh the numbers are a bit harder to see

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2006, 06:30:42 AM »
I was looking at the team photo posted on BF and from Kelvin Moore up the back (behind Simmonds) who is standing sideways, it doesn't look like the numbers have been done yet ???.

http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source/search/imageResults.aspx?s=ImagesSearchState%7c0%7c-1%7c28%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c1%7c1%2f28%2f2006%7c12%2f28%2f2005%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c2%7crichmond+football+club%7c-8193%7c0%7c0%7c0%7c0&p=2&tag=1
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Away strips now compulsory
« Reply #78 on: February 02, 2006, 03:36:52 AM »
Away strip edict sure to get clubs shirty
Greg Denham
The Australian
February 02, 2006

THE AFL will make it compulsory that all clubs wear alternate away playing strips.

The league yesterday informed club chief executives and marketing managers that they must provide an alternate away guernsey to avoid clashing with similar opposition colours.

Under the heading of updated commercial operations guidelines, a letter from AFL general manager of commercial operations Gillon McLachlan was sent to the 16 clubs.

In part, it read: "The AFL has taken the position to mandate that all clubs must have a main playing uniform and an alternate playing uniform."

It is understood that clubs must provide two uniforms from this season.

While AFL chief executive Andrew Demetriou previously tolerated jumper clashes, it was his preferred position that clubs used commonsense to make alternate arrangements.

But the league never previously enforced the change, mainly due to pressure from Collingwood, which has vowed to never wear anything but its traditional black-and-white strip during the premiership season. Richmond has also baulked at an away strip, as has Essendon.

Collingwood president Eddie McGuire is overseas and was unavailable for comment last night but he has been opposed to the idea.

Richmond chief executive Steven Wright last night said the Tigers had been "historically opposed to wearing an alternate jumper".

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5744,18010983%255E36035,00.html

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #79 on: February 02, 2006, 04:27:46 AM »
I know its a big thing in the NBA and other sports, but i don't think its really a good idea for the AFL.

I'd like to know how Richmonds jumpers clashes with any oppsotion jumpers?

Sure Essendon has the exact same jumper as us but there's one big difference, one is yellow and one is red, get it umpies?  ::)

Its time for the umpires to stop sooking and actually earn their money.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #80 on: February 02, 2006, 07:17:06 AM »
tigers have only opposed bec the skunks and bombers have, " why should we change if they dont" sorta thing.

in euro soccer, alt strips are a common thing.

i dont think its and umpires issue at all, the afl want this soley for the tv audience.

the tigers should be smart and get a sponsor on board and use that as an alt strip. imagine how much revenue the tigers can make if they wore an alt strp that had black and yellow in it, or a tiger and a sponsors theme, ala the wizard cup last yr with the silver top taxi strip

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #81 on: February 02, 2006, 09:54:38 AM »
The sooner short-sighted dictators get the hell out of the AFL the better off the competition will be.  I wish they’d mind their own damn business.

AFL dictators should stay right out of things that should be not much of their business or Clubs won’t have an identity to call their own, before any of us have time to blink.

tigers have only opposed bec the skunks and bombers have, " why should we change if they dont" sorta thing.

Any Club should have a right to maintain their identity and traditions, without being dictated to.

Why is this argument brought up each time?  What exactly has Euro soccer got to do with the AFL?  Different competition, different sport, different continent, different history and traditions.  Pretty much different everything.  Why do we need to be like everybody else?

With all the rule changes, jumper changes and whatever else that goes on we won’t recognise the competition soon enough.  What’ll we do when there’s nothing left to change?  Change it back to what it was maybe?

:banghead
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

PuntRdRoar

« Reply #82 on: February 02, 2006, 10:03:30 AM »
The club should use it to find a new sponsor and get some cash. Most will be against it...but if its the edict of the AFL then we may as well get something decent out of it. Maybe people can put up some nice designs. One I heard about about a while back is an All black jumper with 1 thick yellow hoop and 1 thick white hoop with the numbers on the back above the yellow hoop. Get Telstra to sponsor it via the Yellow Pages.

Offline Mini Tiger

• Future Richmond star
  • Is that a change on the horizon?
« Reply #83 on: February 02, 2006, 10:05:46 AM »
No.

We have only just got the strip back on the back, hopefully that will stay, as hard as the numbers are to make out at times.

Offline Mini Tiger

• Future Richmond star
  • Is that a change on the horizon?
« Reply #84 on: February 02, 2006, 10:06:47 AM »
I think the only time for another jumper is the pre-season comp. ONLY.

letsgetiton!

« Reply #85 on: February 02, 2006, 11:19:08 AM »
The sooner short-sighted dictators get the hell out of the AFL the better off the competition will be.  I wish they’d mind their own damn business.

AFL dictators should stay right out of things that should be not much of their business or Clubs won’t have an identity to call their own, before any of us have time to blink.

Any Club should have a right to maintain their identity and traditions, without being dictated to.

Why is this argument brought up each time?  What exactly has Euro soccer got to do with the AFL?  Different competition, different sport, different continent, different history and traditions.  Pretty much different everything.  Why do we need to be like everybody else?

With all the rule changes, jumper changes and whatever else that goes on we won’t recognise the competition soon enough.  What’ll we do when there’s nothing left to change?  Change it back to what it was maybe?

:banghead

tradition died when vfl became afl, tradition was buried when we got rid of our sash!

soccer in europe has nothing to do with us , but we can learn from them also, they have been playing football alot longer than us.

now to have an alternate sponsors strip isnt a bad idea if we can get a million bux out of it, the club is still in debt and so what if tradition changes, our first jumper had black and yellow hoops if i recall correctly.

whether the game is being dictated or not, its designed now 4 the tv audience and 4 entertainment. port adelaide had to change their jumper full stop and they formed way b4 the collingwood skunks.

i dont really care if we have an alternate sponsors strip, its still the same club.

does not matter waht changes are made aussie rules will always be different to all other codes as our game is way different

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #86 on: February 02, 2006, 12:55:13 PM »
The club should use it to find a new sponsor and get some cash. Most will be against it...but if its the edict of the AFL then we may as well get something decent out of it. Maybe people can put up some nice designs.

I agree RT - in a perfect world I wouldn't change it but if the AFL (the 17th team in the competition :banghead) are telling us me must have an alternative then we need to use it to our advantage. Having an alternate strip doesn't mean we have to change our colours - just the design.

One I heard about about a while back is an All black jumper with 1 thick yellow hoop and 1 thick white hoop with the numbers on the back above the yellow hoop. Get Telstra to sponsor it via the Yellow Pages.

I don't like the idea of that RT but I reckon we could do worse than using the predominantly yellow traing jumpers that appear in the Traing thread.

Yellow with a Black tiger head - sponsor logos nice clear - that way we hold onto some of our traditions.

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #87 on: February 02, 2006, 01:23:29 PM »
soccer in europe has nothing to do with us , but we can learn from them also, they have been playing football alot longer than us.

What should we learn from them X?

* How to kill off a competition so that only a handful of teams can ever win a League trophy?

* How to kiss loyalty goodbye and destroy the heart and soul of a game because the amount of money a Club has or can make dictates how successful it can be?

* How to ensure that money is the most important factor in any decision ever made?

Yeah sure, why wouldn’t you want to learn from that?

now to have an alternate sponsors strip isnt a bad idea if we can get a million bux out of it, the club is still in debt and so what if tradition changes, our first jumper had black and yellow hoops if i recall correctly.

To some people this is just about an alternate jumper and no big deal really, but to me it’s a whole lot more.  If Clubs want to change their name, jumper, colours, song, home, whatever then it should be up to them and their members, not some couldn’t care less Executive Ass. who probably wouldn’t know one Club from the other.

whether the game is being dictated or not, its designed now 4 the tv audience and 4 entertainment. port adelaide had to change their jumper full stop and they formed way b4 the collingwood skunks.

Oh, well that’s ok then.  Silly me.  I thought they just didn’t care what people thought.  And how archaic of me to actually go to the games and think that, as a paying member/spectator, someone would care what I think.  Hmm, maybe if I didn’t buy a membership each year and sat in the comfort of my lounge instead I would get listened to.  I think I’m starting to get the hang of how things work now.

does not matter waht changes are made aussie rules will always be different to all other codes as our game is way different

If you want to believe that, go right ahead.  I can see what’s happening, even if others don’t want to.
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #88 on: February 02, 2006, 01:38:08 PM »
The club should use it to find a new sponsor and get some cash. Most will be against it...but if its the edict of the AFL then we may as well get something decent out of it. Maybe people can put up some nice designs.

I agree RT - in a perfect world I wouldn't change it but if the AFL (the 17th team in the competition :banghead) are telling us me must have an alternative then we need to use it to our advantage. Having an alternate strip doesn't mean we have to change our colours - just the design.

One I heard about about a while back is an All black jumper with 1 thick yellow hoop and 1 thick white hoop with the numbers on the back above the yellow hoop. Get Telstra to sponsor it via the Yellow Pages.

I don't like the idea of that RT but I reckon we could do worse than using the predominantly yellow traing jumpers that appear in the Traing thread.

Yellow with a Black tiger head - sponsor logos nice clear - that way we hold onto some of our traditions.

I quite like that top and wouldn't mind if it were our alternate strip.

I don't see the big deal with alternate strips, if anything it will increase merchandise income.  We need to be on the front foot with such issues and become more innovative as the AFL is an evolving creature and we need to keep pace.  Our membership numbers alone won't ensure our survival.  It's those teams who refuse to adapt to change that will find it hardest to survive.   
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

letsgetiton!

« Reply #89 on: February 02, 2006, 03:03:31 PM »

What should we learn from them X?

* How to kill off a competition so that only a handful of teams can ever win a League trophy?

* How to kiss loyalty goodbye and destroy the heart and soul of a game because the amount of money a Club has or can make dictates how successful it can be?

* How to ensure that money is the most important factor in any decision ever made?

u missed the boat , those things have already happened . u cant change that. its like the rich get richer and poor get poorer, does not matter who is in government and what policy or tax system is in place its just a fact of life. and b4 the afl became afl, the vfl was always dominated by money- the richer clubs at the time.

loyalty left afl along time ago but we still support our teams.

we cant live in the past, its very romantic to thinlk that one day loyalty and the jumper will come 1st and not money but those days are over. we can all see whats happening to football, not just u, but thats just the process of evolution one could say, the game continues to evolve.

so de we shoot dwn jack dyer(rip) because he invented the punt kick which killed off completely the drop kick. traditions and the game changed then. do we do the same with polly farmer for really bringing handball skills to the game. once apon a time kicking out on the full was a ball up, not a free kick.   its romantic to think traditions will stay but they dont, they change , just as they do in culture.

u either jump on the train and enjoy the ride and see where it takes u or u give up supporting the sport full stop , because whether we like it or not, things , rules, traditions, jumpers, players, coaches, game styles will always change.

that life