Author Topic: Alternative guernseys  (Read 139220 times)

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Alternative guernseys
« Reply #135 on: March 04, 2006, 01:08:45 PM »
Wow, great stuff guys :clapping Some really interesting designs there.

I particularly like the last one that looks awesome. I don't mind the orange tones, looks very Tigerish!
If we can have white surely we can have a bit of orange.

Well done all. :whistle

Offline Harry

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Fighting injustice and incompetence
« Reply #136 on: March 05, 2006, 07:03:48 PM »
You want an away strip. Check this out.

http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/9608/tigersawaystripclawsash5qc.jpg

Not a fan of adding red, orange or whatever to our colours. That design reminds me of the Eagles away strip they had a couple of years ago. It must have looked good on paper because is was an absolute shocker in real life  :chuck. IMO if we can't come up with an away strip from yellow and black with a bit of white then there's something wrong.

Totally agree MT.  The orange/red looks crap and was used and dumped by the eagles years back.  Looks too messy and it's not us.  A yellow base with a black design and some white to incorporate the white shorts is all we need.
Does anyone have half an idea on anything?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Members to decide our clash strip (FTB)
« Reply #137 on: April 04, 2006, 12:29:51 AM »
MEMBERS TO DECIDE OUR CLASH PLAYING STRIP
Fighting Tiger Bulletin
Gary March
March 2006

You may have seen recently that the AFL is making it compulsory for all clubs to have an alternative playing strip for home-and-away matches.

It is the view of the Club's Board that Richmond would prefer to always play in our traditional jumper.

The black jumper with yellow sash is one of the most famous in AFL/VFL history and a real icon of our Club.

If, however, it is mandatory to wear an alternative strip when we do clash with another team, then we will do so on those very rare occasions.

As a new strip is a major decision for the Club, the Board has decided that it woutd tike our members to select it.

A number of alternative jumpers will be designed over the next few months and we will then post them on the Club's official website richmondfc.com.au, with a voting mechanism to ultimately decide our 'clash' strip for the 2007 season.

This is an important decision to make and we believe it is in the best interests of the Club to allow the members to decide our new alternate strip.

It seems only fair that members, who are our key stakeholders and care so passionately about the Tigers, should have the ultimate say in the guernsey we adopt to complement the one we've worn with such pride for nearly a century.   

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #138 on: April 04, 2006, 01:31:12 PM »
I applaud the Club on the approach they are taking with this.

Letting the member's decide is the fairest way.

I am looking forward to seeing if MT's designs make the short list :thumbsup ;)
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Alternative guernsey required by end of May - AFL
« Reply #139 on: April 11, 2006, 02:23:43 AM »
AFL marketing gets an itch, tradition scratched
By Caroline Wilson
The Age
April 11, 2006

Mooted alternative jumpers for Essendon, Carlton and Collingwood.

THE AFL has provoked a showdown with its most powerful club, Collingwood, by finally decreeing that every club in the competition must design "an alternate" jumper by the end of next month.

While Carlton and Essendon appear resigned to bowing to AFL pressure and are already considering a series of radically different guernseys — Essendon's predominantly red and Carlton's boasting significantly less navy blue — an enraged Magpies president Eddie McGuire last night issued the following message:

"Here's a newsflash for the AFL," said McGuire. "Collingwood wears black and white stripes. There are two things the AFL cannot tell Collingwood. One is where to play and the other is what to wear.

"We have played every game in the history of the AFL in black and white stripes. We've been doing that since 1892. When the competition started in 1896 we were the only club with vertical stripes. We're not about to change that because somebody in the AFL marketing department got an itch."

While the AFL wrote to the clubs in February outlining its new rules, it has only just released the commercial operations department's on-field policy, which states under section 3.3 entitled 'New Playing Strip Designs': "A main playing uniform and an 'alternate' playing uniform are mandatory for all clubs."

The Magpies had said they would be prepared to alternate from a black jumper with white stripes to a white jumper with black stripes. That change is understood to have failed to appease the AFL, which still believes that Collingwood's jumper has occasional clashes — for example, with its next opponent, the Kangaroos.

While the Kangaroos, whose jumpers alternate between major match-day sponsors Primus and Mazda, host the Easter Monday clash, they will be forced to deviate from vertical stripes to their alternative logo jumper to accommodate Collingwood.

"The Kangaroos have worn various jumpers over the years and they are very good about doing the right thing by us just as we support them getting money from the competitive balance fund," said McGuire. "We gave up our licensing rights in the mid-'80s for the sake of the competition and the least the AFL can do is protect our brand.

"I don't know what the AFL's motive is in all this but we don't have much confidence in them. They don't know what they're talking about. Already this year we've seen the Adelaide Crows play in navy blue socks against us and Hawthorn on Sunday with black and white all over their backs. It took me five years to get them to work out what the umpires should be wearing."

Essendon president Neil McKissock said yesterday that the Bombers' new guernsey — which would be worn between one and three times during the premiership season — would be predominantly red.

"We threw around a few designs at our last board meeting and we won't be moving away from red and black," said McKissock. "They have written a rule which has mandated that we wear an away jumper when we play Richmond, Melbourne and St Kilda in away games. It is under the terms of the new AFL licensing agreement and we have to comply because it overrides our constitution."

Carlton chief executive Michael Malouf said: "The club hasn't reached an official position on this, but the board is aware that we need to consider a clash jumper. Our legal advice is that the AFL's licensing rules dictate this and we're looking at designs at a management level."

As revealed in The Sunday Age last May, the Blues have previously considered introducing a silver clash guernsey with a navy crest.

But McGuire remains adamant the Magpies won't change: "We won't be hiding behind our constitution or our members. We won't be asking anyone to legislate on our behalf. Our members know how far we are prepared to go and to be perfectly honest our players are pretty disappointed about this as well.

"This is the thing that binds football clubs together and once you start tampering with your heritage then you're tampering with your club."

The new AFL guidelines also state that each club may wear an "event" playing uniform once each season to celebrate significant club milestones or events.

http://www.realfooty.theage.com.au/realfooty/articles/2006/04/10/1144521268397.html

Offline cub

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • "Tigertime!"
    • bantigertrade
« Reply #140 on: April 11, 2006, 03:09:30 AM »
Dead against it - if they don't we shouldn't either.

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #141 on: April 11, 2006, 07:50:58 AM »
As much as I can't stand Eddie, good on him for standing up to the AFL and sticking to his guns.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #142 on: April 11, 2006, 09:49:09 AM »
Agree Julz, at least Eddie has the guts to stand up for what he believes in and what his members want.

I hope he wins and shows just how weak, lily livered and pathetic the attempts by Richmond and other clubs have been, to actually stand up for the rights of their respective clubs.

If that’s how much it means to the Richmond Directors, that they just fold like a deck of cards, whenever a gust of wind comes along, then God help Richmond and every other AFL club with these sorts of people in charge.

:banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead
« Last Edit: April 11, 2006, 01:04:54 PM by Tiger Spirit »
Everything that is done in this world is done by hope.  --Martin Luther

The time you enjoy wasting isn’t wasted time.

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #143 on: April 11, 2006, 12:00:56 PM »
Sorry, I missed a bit.

Whenever one of these issues comes along, the least the Club can do is pretend to have a backbone. :banghead

And it’d be good to think that those on the Board have some fight in them.  Is that too much to ask? :banghead :banghead That’s why they were elected isn’t it? >:(

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #144 on: April 11, 2006, 12:08:15 PM »
As long as it involves yellow and black and does not involve the tiger head motif, then I am happy.

BTW when I was watching the Hawthorn NAB cup game, I wondered whether our players were confused playing against a team predominantly dark and yellow.

Offline the_boy_jake

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #145 on: April 11, 2006, 12:17:43 PM »
BTW how can Eddie justify his position of protecting the heritage of Collingwood when he recently rubberstamped their disowning of Victoria Park, on the rationalisation that he had to protect the interests of Collingwood from a commercial and competitive point of view. Surely all the AFL is doing protecting its commercial television product and ensuring it remains competitive.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #146 on: April 11, 2006, 12:51:44 PM »
BTW how can Eddie justify his position of protecting the heritage of Collingwood when he recently rubberstamped their disowning of Victoria Park, on the rationalisation that he had to protect the interests of Collingwood from a commercial and competitive point of view. Surely all the AFL is doing protecting its commercial television product and ensuring it remains competitive.

Eddie was SEN this ranting and raving about the jumper situation.

Tradition, heritage and history he cried and when it was mentioned about leaving Victoria Park for the Lexus centre he said "I did that for the betterment of the Club and isn't the same thing". Traditions, heritage have limitations under the Eddie school of thought and logic :banghead

As for the jumpers - Eddie can rant and rave all he likes about how Collingwood have only ever worn their stirpes and nothing else but the facts remain that they have worn jumpers during the H&A season that have had ugly birds on them (magpies I believe they were supposed to be) check out http://www.footyjumpers.com/ and you can see for yourself. What Eddie conveniently forgets is that when adidas began sponsoring them and they were broke they happily took $$$$$$$$ to wear an alternative strip that had a magpie on it. So I repeat for him  to say "we've only ever worn black and white stripes" is CRAP - he's a hypocrite

Agree Julz, at least Eddie has the guts to stand up for what he believes in and what his members want.

I hope he wins and shows just how weak, lily livered and pathetic the attempts by Richmond and other clubs has been, to actually stand up for the rights of their respective clubs.

If that’s how much it means to the Richmond Directors, that they just fold like a deck of cards, whenever a gust of wind comes along, then God help Richmond and every other AFL club with these sorts of people in charge.

In a perfect world I'd prefer no alternate strip but the rules are the rules and if the AFL make it law then there's not much anyone can do about it - again how convenient that Eddie isn't talking about the penalties the AFL may impose if the clubs don't adhere to the rules.

The only weak ones here will be the AFL if they allow Collingwood to operate under a different set of rules to every other team. We can hate and loathe the rule but it is there and all Clubs must be made to follow it - let's see if the AFL have the guts to stand up to Eddie 

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #147 on: April 11, 2006, 01:04:16 PM »
All the AFL is doing is justifying the position of someone who has nothing better to do with their time.  That’s all this is, because what they have achieved in this matter is to confuse things more than ever.

The point of Eddie’s stance is that he is at least in control of the direction of his footy club.  Unlike about 15 others, who are content to follow the sheep herd mentality.

Big difference.

Give some of these clubs enough time and there won’t be any significant difference from one club to another.  And I don’t mean in terms of jumpers either.  They might as well all come out of the same factory and the same conveyor belt, because all the big decisions are coming from the AFL and not the individual clubs.

All clubs are is a money making arm for the AFL.  They dictate the terms and clubs follow their orders.  Clubs don’t get to make any big decisions for themselves any more, and basically because none of them stand up to the AFL.  Most of them have just resigned themselves to the fact that they are now powerless against the AFL.  That’s what it basically boils down to.

Stick it up ‘em Eddie.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #148 on: April 11, 2006, 01:12:44 PM »
The point of Eddie’s stance is that he is at least in control of the direction of his footy club. 

Listening to Eddie this morning ranting he is not only in control of his club but the whole AFL

In 12 minutes he claimed (on behalf of Collingwood) credit for:

Allowing for monies to be distributed from the CBF especially to the Kangas - "Collingwood has helped keep North in business"  :o

Saved the AFL/VFl from extinction in the 1980's, 1990's and 2000 onwards (funny in the 80's they were broke and ditto in the late 90's)

By signing (as all clubs did) the licensing rights to the league (jumpers etc) - they saved the league and Collingwood allowed the league to make truckloads of money instead of them keeping the $$ for themselves.

Put simply - if it wasn't for Collingwood they's be no AFL, no footy no nothing  ::)

Give me a break

Offline Tiger Spirit

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #149 on: April 11, 2006, 01:20:45 PM »
We can at least admire Eddie for not rolling over and playing dead every time the AFL forces a power play on everyone.

And I’d love someone from Richmond to display even a fraction of the resistance that he puts up.