Author Topic: Reece Conca [merged]  (Read 428308 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
'It was like being shot': Conca's reality check (afl site)
« Reply #1035 on: December 08, 2013, 08:22:36 PM »
'It was like being shot': Young Tiger's reality check

Jennifer Phelan 
afl.com.au
December 8, 2013

REECE Conca says it was like being shot in the back of the leg.

He's talking about the moment his left hamstring tendon gave way just 12 minutes into Richmond's losing elimination final to Carlton.

The 21-year-old was running for the ball alongside Blues opponents Zach Tuohy and Robbie Warnock. He'd pushed off but was nowhere near full pace; in fact, Tuohy had a light hold of his left arm.

Suddenly, he pulled up, hopped in the air, and then crashed to the deck where the pain was written all over his face.

"I just knew immediately. It was one of those things; it literally feels like you've been shot," Conca told AFL.com.au this week.

"I just tried to get off the ground as quick as possible and a few trainers came on and helped me off."

Conca sat in the rooms for the rest of the quarter and collected his thoughts.

He knew the injury was pretty serious. While soft-tissue injuries weren't something he knew a great deal about, he was sure this one was big.

After he pulled himself together, he donned a tracksuit and came up to the bench to watch the rest of the game, which the Tigers lost by 20 points.

"That wasn't so great either, with the way we finished," he said.

"All in all, it was a pretty disappointing day."

There had been little warning his hamstring tendon was in danger of giving way.

Conca remembers feeling a little tight in the area before the game but figured it was normal given the late state of the season.

He started the game on the bench and when he came on, felt he hadn't warmed his legs up enough.

But still, there was no telling he'd sustain an injury that would rob him of half his pre-season and need surgery to fix.

"It's almost impossible to know if there's an issue with your tendon because the muscle around it is what you feel is tight," he said.

"We do a lot of squeeze tests at the club each week to make sure that we don't have any issues and all those results were fine because all the muscles around the tendon were compensating for it.

"They think it was a progression. The tendon would have been wearing down over three or four weeks and it just so happened it went at that very moment."

Despite the operation, and another a week later to remove an "extra bone" from the back of his right heel (known as the os trigonum bone, with which only a small number of people are born), Conca managed a decent break from football.

After a week on the couch recovering from the operations, the second of which was scheduled as he needed it done anyway and it made sense to rehabilitate two areas at the same time, he headed to Brazil with his teammates.

After joining eight teammates on the Tigers' Rio de Janeiro cultural exchange program, he spent time in his hometown of Perth.

While Conca has plans to move home at some stage – "maybe in 20 years" – it didn't enter his mind this year when his management was negotiating his new contract.

He signed a three-year deal in September, after persistent speculation he was set to head to a West Australian club.

"I personally wanted to try and hurry it up, to get it done," he said.

"In my mind, I was never really going to go and it got blown out of proportion, like the media does when all of that is going on.

"You always naturally have a thought about it. Coming from Perth, it's completely different to Melbourne.

"But we've got that young developing group and the club as a whole seems to be moving in the right direction."

That direction is something he wants more say in.

After being part of the Tigers' emerging leaders group this season, he wants to take another step in his development as one of the voices of the team in 2014. 

Having been encouraged by Dylan Grimes' promotion from it to the leadership group this year, Conca wants to take more ownership in his fourth AFL season as well as make a consistent on-field contribution.

"It's a younger group of leaders that is pushing to grow their leadership to one day get into the leadership group," he said.

"I want to continually improve on my first three seasons.

"I've had a few injuries and stuff, which have been a hiccup, but my aim for this year is to play 22 healthy games and really contribute to the team, and then play some more finals and get some more success on the back of that."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-12-08/concas-reality-check

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: Reece Conca [merged]
« Reply #1036 on: December 08, 2013, 08:41:14 PM »
Conca remembers feeling a little tight in the area before the game but figured it was normal given the late state of the season. :banghead

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1037 on: December 08, 2013, 10:53:35 PM »
and Im sure many players would feel some tightness but play out games.

I'm curious as to whether anyone who has been shot has said that it felt just tearing a hamstring.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

the claw

« Reply #1038 on: December 09, 2013, 01:14:58 AM »
hes been solid with out being outstanding.
for a pick 6 and his  type medium sized mid starting off hb id say hes been a little disappointing for some.
for me its the lack of time  awareness and tendency to rush  that to date concerns me.
just to add to the debate compare these areas of his game to heppell and heppell wins by the flemington straight. that is if we can be honest with ourselves.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1039 on: December 09, 2013, 09:48:11 AM »
Lmao short steppel

Offline Dice

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1040 on: December 09, 2013, 10:16:39 AM »
for a pick 6 and his  type medium sized mid starting off hb id say hes been a little disappointing for some.
for me its the lack of time  awareness and tendency to rush  that to date concerns me.
just to add to the debate compare these areas of his game to heppell and heppell wins by the flemington straight. that is if we can be honest with ourselves.

I can be honest with myself but I'll try not to exaggerate as much as Claw and I'll say Conca is better but only by the length of the Caulfield straight.
Heppell does look pretty though doesn't he ? 
Tanking has put the club where it's at - Paul Roos

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1041 on: December 09, 2013, 10:26:21 AM »
I love the way when he is running away from players and his hair is blowing in the wind

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1042 on: December 09, 2013, 04:52:52 PM »
I rate Heppell comfortably ahead of Conca at this stage.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1043 on: December 09, 2013, 05:06:01 PM »
thanks for sharing

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #1044 on: December 09, 2013, 05:10:56 PM »
Don't mention it.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Gigantor

« Reply #1045 on: December 09, 2013, 05:42:34 PM »
Reece has huge upside ,don't know if Heppell does though.But at this point in time I have heppell ahead

Offline Bengal

• Premiership Captain
  • Its Tiger Time
« Reply #1046 on: December 09, 2013, 05:43:26 PM »

:help  Heppell pfft soft as.. Conca for me..  easy.. 

tony_montana

« Reply #1047 on: December 09, 2013, 06:13:26 PM »
Heppell
Pros: One grab player, very quick clean hands, reads the play well, seamlessly transitioned to afl footy. Generally clean with disposal by foot bc hes a good decision maker.
Cons: Masks loopy non penetrating kicks by picking simple and easy option all the time. No hurt factor with run or disposal.  Liken him to Gibbs with less class and that's not saying much. Is always free, why? Bc teams don't mind him with ball in hands, does not cut up the opposition.

Conca
Pros: Tough as nails, inside/outside mid, hits the packs/ball very hard at full pace and has a good ability to weave through traffic. Is already a key part of our midfield rotations and is very handy at the coalface. Yet to complete half a preseason let alone a full one so has plenty in the tank you would think
Cons: Disposal. Do not like his ball drop, will always have the occasional shocking kick when going full pelt. Decision making needs to improve. is a smart player and can often be seen barking instructions so knows the game plan well and where it should go, just sometimes tries to do too much.

Heppell slightly ahead at this stage only bc his bad hasn't been exposed yet,  but it will be like Gibbs was in year 3 and 4 after we kept hearing what a champion he already was. Conca just has to play within himself and with more game experience will noticeably relax out there. Once his outside decision making improves he will be very highly regarded.
As Dermie once said "I get the feeling Conca is only at about 50-60% of the player he will ultimately become"

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1048 on: December 09, 2013, 06:15:15 PM »
Reece has huge upside ,don't know if Heppell does though.But at this point in time I have heppell ahead

Heppells upside is if he grows a left one and a right one he would be a decent footballer

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1049 on: December 09, 2013, 06:34:44 PM »

Can't argue with any of that. Conca would be a good comoarisonwith a full pre season under his belt
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.