Author Topic: Reece Conca [merged]  (Read 428348 times)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Reece Conca [merged]
« Reply #1230 on: April 26, 2014, 10:10:50 PM »
In all honesty I do support Reece. I just don't rate him that highly.... Yet.... And that's fair I recon.
As for that other cat Ellis, I find it extremely hard..... And that's fair I recon too.
You know when there's one you just cannot cop, that Ellis for me.
I don't disagree with that at all.
I just hate it when people say we should have, could have, didn't do etc etc etc.
It doesn't help the situation at all.  We are in a certain situation.  We need to accept it and work out a way to improve it.  If this means supporting those guys still in development and encouraging them to be better players, then that is what we should do.

If we come to a point where we see no further improvement is possible and their output is not up to scratch then we trade or delist.

I just don't think we are anywhere near that situation with Conca or Ellis.  I think the club erred by making Ellis the face of the club at such an early age too.  It can distract young men and make them think they are better than they are.  Bad move by the club.
Happy to debate about Reece till the cows come home, and as I have said I like the kid, I just don't rate him yet.
But you are wasting your time with Ellis and myself. I have said it from day one and a few on here can vouch for me on that, I can't stand the kid. But I also don't want to shove that down people's throats like some others do about certain players so  won't go on.
 I hope he can prove me wrong but I doubt it.
Don't forget Ellis was also only choice 15, not pick 3.  So far he has been ok for that pick.  I agree he has much to improve on, like risking head and shin.  However he has bad examples like Houli and Grigg to copy and they won't win any bravery awards.  Unfortunately our youngsters haven't got the best examples to learn off…..

Imagine Ellis at Geelong.  Bartels, Selwood, Enright, Stevie J, etc etc  they would all lead by example and he would copy because that's how you play your football.  At Richmond we have Cotch, Morro…….ummmmm ???? not may others to learn bravery from.
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1231 on: April 26, 2014, 10:33:38 PM »
In all honesty I do support Reece. I just don't rate him that highly.... Yet.... And that's fair I recon.
As for that other cat Ellis, I find it extremely hard..... And that's fair I recon too.
You know when there's one you just cannot cop, that Ellis for me.
I don't disagree with that at all.
I just hate it when people say we should have, could have, didn't do etc etc etc.
It doesn't help the situation at all.  We are in a certain situation.  We need to accept it and work out a way to improve it.  If this means supporting those guys still in development and encouraging them to be better players, then that is what we should do.

If we come to a point where we see no further improvement is possible and their output is not up to scratch then we trade or delist.

I just don't think we are anywhere near that situation with Conca or Ellis.  I think the club erred by making Ellis the face of the club at such an early age too.  It can distract young men and make them think they are better than they are.  Bad move by the club.
Happy to debate about Reece till the cows come home, and as I have said I like the kid, I just don't rate him yet.
But you are wasting your time with Ellis and myself. I have said it from day one and a few on here can vouch for me on that, I can't stand the kid. But I also don't want to shove that down people's throats like some others do about certain players so  won't go on.
 I hope he can prove me wrong but I doubt it.
Don't forget Ellis was also only choice 15, not pick 3.  So far he has been ok for that pick.  I agree he has much to improve on, like risking head and shin.  However he has bad examples like Houli and Grigg to copy and they won't win any bravery awards.  Unfortunately our youngsters haven't got the best examples to learn off….. :bang head

Imagine Ellis at Geelong.  Bartels, Selwood, Enright, Stevie J, etc etc  they would all lead by example and he would copy because that's how you play your football.  At Richmond we have Cotch, Morro…….ummmmm ???? not may others to learn bravery from.
For me it's not just about putting your head over the footy, because young kids can be excused at times but when I say he plays scared I mean in the worst way possible IMO and these are things young kids shouldn't be scared of and that's scared to pick out a target and kick it to him. He will ALWAYS kick it sides or backwards or down the line to a contest. You cannot blame anyone else for that!
As I said I don't want to go on about it and I'm happy for people to disagree but that's just how I see it.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1232 on: April 26, 2014, 10:42:08 PM »
It gets a bit frustrating watching our premium draft picks develop over such a long period of time, then to see a Luke Dunstan at pick 18 waltz in and play like he has 200 games under his belt. When can we get one of those?
Just happen to stumble on an old post  :whistle of Ramps and myself regarding drafting Mr Dunstan  :lol

Re: Christian Salem
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 09:25:46 PM »
QuoteModifyRemove
Quote from: Rampstar on October 26, 2013, 05:56:12 PM
I still hoping we go for Luke Dunstan. You can never have enough of this type of player in the midfield IMHO.
Quote from big tone
Totally agree on Dunstan. The way he moves, his body shape and his running style remind me a bit of Dane Swan. Wouldn't that be nice!
Also has a bit of X factor, which after the last 3 drafts IMO we could do with.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #1233 on: April 26, 2014, 10:49:40 PM »
You make a bit of sense coach, concas best is fairly decent, his challenge is to set a consistent standard that will see him finish well inside top 10 of bf , he needs to step up to do that
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1234 on: April 26, 2014, 10:50:18 PM »
It gets a bit frustrating watching our premium draft picks develop over such a long period of time, then to see a Luke Dunstan at pick 18 waltz in and play like he has 200 games under his belt. When can we get one of those?
Just happen to stumble on an old post  :whistle of Ramps and myself regarding drafting Mr Dunstan  :lol

Re: Christian Salem
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 09:25:46 PM »
QuoteModifyRemove
Quote from: Rampstar on October 26, 2013, 05:56:12 PM
I still hoping we go for Luke Dunstan. You can never have enough of this type of player in the midfield IMHO.
Quote from big tone
Totally agree on Dunstan. The way he moves, his body shape and his running style remind me a bit of Dane Swan. Wouldn't that be nice!
Also has a bit of X factor, which after the last 3 drafts IMO we could do with.
well done guys.

Lets just see what our boy Benny can do.  Followed him as a junior - he was a gun there.  Represented Victoria as far back as under 12s (also under 15,16 and 17s!).  Had a good season with the Northern Knights too.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #1235 on: April 26, 2014, 10:58:47 PM »
Is he playing tomorrow is he ?
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1236 on: April 26, 2014, 11:07:17 PM »
Is he playing tomorrow is he ?
No unfortunately.  we are keeping him in that dud VFL outfit….

the claw

« Reply #1237 on: April 26, 2014, 11:11:43 PM »
the old put em on a pedestal syndrome before they have done a thing  is alive and well.

atm it seems more likely we have a good solid footsoldier in conca than a A/B  GRADER.  To me for a top 10 pick that is not good enough.  i dont aim my angst at conca here we have at least a decent player my angst is aimed at the club for the continual low bar that is set when it comes to nd picks.
to get better we just have to address this part of the footy dept.
it really ius like people are just so relieved that 1st rounders are not total busts they lose sight of the fact we should be doing better with these picks.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1238 on: April 27, 2014, 10:23:46 AM »
I think the club erred by making Ellis the face of the club at such an early age too.  It can distract young men and make them think they are better than they are.  Bad move by the club.

Yep.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1239 on: April 27, 2014, 12:33:45 PM »
I think the club erred by making Ellis the face of the club at such an early age too.  It can distract young men and make them think they are better than they are.  Bad move by the club.

Yep.

Absolutely spot on

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1240 on: April 27, 2014, 01:11:48 PM »
Ellis has more than justified his draft position. If you people cant see that your blind as a bat.

Ellis is fine. Playing poorly but next to hacks like Grigg, Newman and Edwards he is in brownlow medal form,
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1241 on: April 27, 2014, 01:18:08 PM »
Back to Reece.

Hope he has a good game today to silence the many critics!

:gotigers

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #1242 on: April 27, 2014, 01:34:58 PM »
Was Conca an actually pick #6

Or did the afl ass smack that draft/talent pool?

Elllis was bad choice as poster boy

Offline Mr Magic

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1243 on: April 27, 2014, 01:47:33 PM »
Ellis has more than justified his draft position. If you people cant see that your blind as a bat.

Ellis is fine. Playing poorly but next to hacks like Grigg, Newman and Edwards he is in brownlow medal form,

True, I'd prefer we made Ellis the face of the club than Grigga.

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1244 on: April 27, 2014, 01:56:10 PM »
Was Conca an actually pick #6

He was pick 6. However GC had aready picked 12 of the best 17 year olds in 2009. So if all those 17 year olds translated to the best 18 year olds the following year, theoretically Conca could have been as low as pick 18!