Author Topic: Dylan Grimes [merged]  (Read 232259 times)

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Dylan Grimes [merged]
« Reply #120 on: April 30, 2011, 11:45:47 PM »
Was thinking that a player like Merrett could be the missing piece of our backline but I'm not even sure that is the case.
He's 26 years old now and has played over 100 games after being drafted back in 2002
Just goes to show how much more development our backs have when you have Rance (21yo/28 games), Astbury (20yo/21 games) & Grimes (19yo/5 games)

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #121 on: May 01, 2011, 01:28:26 AM »
Grimes is well ahead of Thursfield now in the pecking order, but what Grimes has shown and Rance's improvement also indicate is that we have some depth in our backline as we still have Moore and Astbury to come back in and Thursfield in running around for Coburg. We are actually drafting and developing under Hardwick something we were lacking in previous coaching tenures. :thumbsup

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #122 on: May 01, 2011, 01:35:51 AM »
You wouldn't want to be a gun youngster next year..

Most likely Top 7 picks..

GWS
GWS
GWS
Port
GWS
North
GWS

GWS looms very unappealing.
Port is worse.
North maybe be in Tassie by the time your 21.
Go Tigers!

Offline Danog

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #123 on: May 01, 2011, 02:57:07 AM »
You wouldn't want to be a gun youngster next year..

Most likely Top 7 picks..

GWS
GWS
GWS
Port
GWS
North
GWS

GWS looms very unappealing.
Port is worse.
North maybe be in Tassie by the time your 21.
Nothing wrong with Tassie

the claw

« Reply #124 on: May 23, 2011, 11:44:51 AM »
as the sites unofficial pessamist just thought id say something positive for once and this bloke is damn good reason to be positive,
 to say grimes has been good and will be missed is to put it lightly.
as stated at the start of the yr he is potentially our best tall defender.

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #125 on: May 23, 2011, 12:06:55 PM »
agree, Claw.

I really rate him. He seems to have poise when he gets the pill and strong evasive/decision-making skills.
Hope his recovery is swift. Will be interesting to see whether Asty gets a call up this week.

Offline Oiafi

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Against logic there is no armour like ignorance.
« Reply #126 on: May 23, 2011, 12:07:18 PM »
Grimes and Batch are really giving us something to build the backline around. Hopefully Astbury can regain some form and we'll be sitting pretty in a year or two.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #127 on: May 23, 2011, 12:37:06 PM »
agree, Claw.

I really rate him. He seems to have poise when he gets the pill and strong evasive/decision-making skills.
Hope his recovery is swift. Will be interesting to see whether Asty gets a call up this week.

I see the poise when he is going the spoil but I don't see it when he is unsure about marking. Twice on Saturday night he seemed loss as teh ball came in and he didn't need to spoil

That is the one thing he really needs to work on IMHO and that's going for the mark and that decision making process. He doesn't need to spoil all the time

A group of us were talking about it after the game and agreeed that the reality is that there a possibility that one day one of those spoils that should have been a mark will cost us a game

Even if he wasn't injured I would have looked at sending him back to Coburg this week just to work on and build his confidence in that area.

But that's something they can work on with him - all other signs with him though are super positive
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #128 on: May 23, 2011, 01:35:26 PM »
WP - Dimma has publically said that he is instructing them to spoil to kill the contest. That indecision is probably the thought that he could mark it, but has been instructed to focus on punching it for now.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #129 on: May 23, 2011, 02:37:25 PM »
WP - Dimma has publically said that he is instructing them to spoil to kill the contest. That indecision is probably the thought that he could mark it, but has been instructed to focus on punching it for now.

yep I know Infamy - I heard that interview. he said they've told when in doubt "kill the contest"

But he did concede that is something that needs to be worked on

Would look at starting it now 

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Infamy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #130 on: May 23, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »
yep I know Infamy - I heard that interview. he said they've told when in doubt "kill the contest"

I translated that it would be worked on in the next phase of development, read: next preseason
The kid has still played under 10 games, while they will be working on confidence and composure all the time, I don't think they will change something they have been drilling into them all year so quickly

tony_montana

« Reply #131 on: May 23, 2011, 04:54:47 PM »

I translated that it would be worked on in the next phase of development, read: next preseason
The kid has still played under 10 games, while they will be working on confidence and composure all the time, I don't think they will change something they have been drilling into them all year so quickly

thats the way I read it too

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #132 on: May 23, 2011, 09:48:36 PM »
agree, Claw.

I see the poise when he is going the spoil but I don't see it when he is unsure about marking. Twice on Saturday night he seemed loss as teh ball came in and he didn't need to spoil

That is the one thing he really needs to work on IMHO and that's going for the mark and that decision making process. He doesn't need to spoil all the time

A group of us were talking about it after the game and agreeed that the reality is that there a possibility that one day one of those spoils that should have been a mark will cost us a game

Even if he wasn't injured I would have looked at sending him back to Coburg this week just to work on and build his confidence in that area.

But that's something they can work on with him - all other signs with him though are super positive
Send him back to Coburg?  :help
Bumbest thing i have read for a long time! Including Jacks stuff last week.
The kid has been a star.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #133 on: July 26, 2011, 06:57:33 PM »

Ox

« Reply #134 on: July 26, 2011, 07:15:09 PM »
reminds me of how thursfield was going so well in his first year? then did his knee and was out for the season...never came back right