Author Topic: Dion Prestia’s bond with Josh Caddy strengthened with Richmond premiership (Fox)  (Read 587 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Dion Prestia’s bond with Josh Caddy strengthened with Richmond premiership

October 2, 2017 11:50am
Sarah Olle
FOX SPORTS

A WHIRLWIND 12 months culminated in a premiership for Dion Prestia on Saturday, when Richmond defeated Adelaide by 48 points at the MCG.

The former Gold Coast Sun was traded to Richmond at the end of last season, a move that saw him reunited with best mate and former teammate Josh Caddy, who had been moved on from Geelong.

The pair bolstered the Tigers’ midfield stocks, with an aim to alleviate the burden on captain Trent Cotchin and Dustin Martin. But not only did it alleviate their workload, but allow them to shine.

While Prestia averaged fewer disposals in his first season at Punt Road than he had in his last four at the Suns, the impact he had on Richmond’s midfield was profound.

“I felt like I was going well all year, it was probably that my disposals weren’t as high as everyone wanted them to be,” Prestia told foxfooty.com.au.

“Inside the club we knew I was playing my role and doing everything right.

“There’s only so many things that the media can say and can control, but I’m a premiership player now so it doesn’t matter.”

Prestia saved two of his best matches of the year for the finals.

Against Geelong in the qualifying final the 24-year-old racked up 31 touches, as well as six tackles, six marks and six inside 50s.

And on Saturday against Adelaide, Prestia kicked one goal from 27 disposals to poll two votes in the Norm Smith Medal.

“I’m just pumped that it all happened for us,” Prestia said.

“I’m pumped for this bunch of boys. I’ve only known most of them for 12 months. It’s just an unbelievable feeling that we have on and off the field.”

A photo of Prestia, Caddy, Toby Nankervis and Dan Butler after Richmond’s Round One victory over Carlton is plastered on a wall in Richmond’s rooms.

It was the first win all four were involved in as Tigers, with the former three all off-season trades.

“As soon as we got here — me, Josh and Toby, all the trades — we just got accepted in straight away and it was just unbelievable,” Prestia said.

“It just shows how close we all are today. It’s the whole club, not just one player.”

Prestia said the Grand Final win was made all the sweeter sharing it with Caddy.

The pair were drafted to the Suns in 2010, two picks apart. Now they would always share an unbreakable bond of being premiership teammates.

“When I saw him after the game I got a bit emotional,” Prestia said.

“We’ve gone through a lot together. I’m just so happy.”

Prestia described his time at the Suns and Richmond as “just totally different worlds”.

And while he was now a Richmond premiership player, Prestia paid tribute to the club that had taken a punt on him as an 18-year-old.

“I thank Gold Coast a lot for what they’ve done for me,” he said.

“They got me into the AFL system and I was able to grow my leadership and still play a lot of games up there.

“This is just a lot of reward and a lot of them I’ve got to thank for as well.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/dion-prestias-bond-with-josh-caddy-has-only-been-strengthened-with-the-bonds-of-a-richmond-premiership/news-story/06cff80d7b4043f6cd242f2dbba88612

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
Prestia said the word, and Caddy up and left that shanty town (Geelong) in the dust. Like a Ford executive.

Hahaha

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
They were great in the finals.

You couldn't have convinced me prior.

Hats off.

More so Prestia
Caracella and Balmey.