Author Topic: To tank or not to tank  (Read 1412 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
To tank or not to tank
« on: August 08, 2005, 05:50:53 AM »
I know this is a negative defeatist thing to say but in terms of our long term future and the nature of the system we need to not win any of our last 3 games as we're not going to make the finals anyhow :(. We're 12th at the moment and if the current ladder was the ladder after round 22 we'd have pick #8. However the teams below us play each other in the last 3 rounds:

R20 - Haw vs Ess, Coll vs Carl
R21 - Rich vs Haw, Ess vs Carl
R22 - Ess vs Melb

We move "up" a spot in the draft order for every one of the following ifs occuring:

* if the Bombers win 2 more they'd go above us.
* if the Pies beat the Blues they lose their priority pick. Although after giving up 4 goals in the last 4 minutes to tank their game against the Roos yesterday ::) I wouldn't hold your breath!
* if the Hawks beat the bombers next week and we lose to them the following week they'd lose their priority pick.
* if the Blues beat Pies and Dons they'd lose their priority pick.

At worst we'd be left with pick #8 but if things went our way we could still snag say pick #5 or #6. A win however could knock us out of a top 10 draft pick.

Not much incentive to win is there!  :-\
« Last Edit: August 08, 2005, 05:53:34 AM by mightytiges »
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

letsgetiton!

Re: To tank or not to tank
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2005, 06:12:22 AM »
for the good of our future we must play all our young kids and suffer 3 more losses but give these kids more experience, so we must tank it as i said in another thread

Offline om21

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Original Melbourne 21
    • Original Melbourne 21
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2005, 11:14:25 AM »
Cant support such motions.....we already have a loser mentality at the club, we should be trying to change that; Not encourage it.
Den uparxei Ellada xwris AEK.

Finally our new webage: http://www.original21.com/melbourne

Offline Razorblade

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 03:35:08 PM »

Offline JohnF

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • ROFLMAO
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 03:42:52 PM »
roflmao razor. We'll most likely lose 2 of the next three anyway, and maybe even all three, so tank or not we are going nowhere but down.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2005, 04:51:22 PM by JohnF »

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2005, 04:47:47 PM »
Cant support such motions.....we already have a loser mentality at the club, we should be trying to change that; Not encourage it.

I with you om21 - long term it's not best thing for the young kids in particular
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2005, 06:38:11 PM »

Your attitude is the right one om21 but the system will penalise us for it and that's where I'm coming from. We will not rid our club of a loser mentality until we get far more quality footballers on our list. Browny and Lids show what the skill and decision making standard needs to be and what standard we should be aiming for from our playing list. You will only find them through early draft picks or if a mature-age one wants to come to the Tigers. The first option is far cheaper and more likely to give us a number of quality 10-year players rather than say one big name through a trade.

We have already lost 8 of our past 10 matches so that's not winning form anyway and as John said we most likely won't need to tank because of it. Play some of the kids such as Patto as Terry will do, cop 3 weeks of short-term pain and in the process give Miller, Wallace and co the best chance to trade and draft quality.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2005, 07:49:07 PM »
As much as I hate to say it, it is in our best long term interests with our finals chances now gone to lose next week as it will deny the Hawks their priority pick and push us up one spot in the draft order. A "bonus" would be if the Blues do the Bombers as well next week. That would give us pick 6 in the draft with only the Pies (wooden spooners  ;D ) having a priority pick.