Author Topic: Looking back: 2003-2006 drafts  (Read 8579 times)

Tigermonk

Re: Looking back: 2003-2006 drafts
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2008, 06:37:43 PM »
blaisee - build a bridge - he must be doing your head in.

"Travis Cloke was easily the best player in that draft at the time"

I don't think that's such an outrageous comment.

Thank you mjs.
Blaisee go and admit yourself to a mental hospital, hopefully internet isnt available for patients,

:jump

Moi

« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2008, 06:59:51 PM »
I didnt have Patto rated at all and i was involved ::)
For what its worth, I actually spotted Polo,
Also, in my opinion Travis Cloke was easily the best player in that draft at the time

so cloke is better than buddy?

Great.  ;)

READ MY POST IMBECILE. I didnt say that. At the time Travis was a standout .
Well, if we're talking about at the time, I think everyone was looking at Deledio, not Cloke.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2008, 07:17:41 PM »
Leon Davis was not a top 10 draft pick I don't think MT and personally he is a bit of a passenger. When the Pies get beat and the game is tight Leon may bob up with a goal or 2. Leon Davis has been pumped up by blokes like BT on MMM and the fact that he plays for Collingwood and is Indigenous. If we are going to use the Wallace excuse of Indigenous players take longer to develop and compare Richie to Leon then what excuses to those 2 boys have in comparison to Buddy Cyril Riolo, The Burgoynes, Aaron Davey, Adam Goodes, Andrew McCleod, Graeme Johncock, David Wirrpunda.

All boys made significant impact in their first few years. All boys are Aborigine. All boys were comfortable at this level from the moment they stepped in to this competition. What next we will make a Grand Final some day and Richo fails to trouble the statistician and we'll just console ourselves and say oh well Leon Davis didn't get a touch in his first Grand Final either.
Peter Burgoyne wasn't a quick bloomer IMO. Decent enough but he was inconsistent. He was played a lot as a forward pocket early on in his career and even cost Port its season in 2002 when he stuffed up a certain matchwinning goal slipping over in the goalsquare during a final. He would frustrate many a Port fan lol. He didn't become the superstar midfielder he became until their premiership year. His brother came on much quicker but of course it was easier for him walking into a top side unlike Peter did in 1999.

Aaron Davey didn't make his debut until he was 21.

Tambling wins slightly more of the ball than Johncock did in his 4th year. Mind you they play different positions too. Johncock's breakout year was his 5th in 2006.

I think you're underrating Davis this year. He's been consistent, played more in the midfield and he's had more disposals and kicked more goals than Dale Thomas who is classed as a champion by some on this forum lol.

I don't necessarily believe indigenous players take longer. Someone like Michael Long does though. Everyone is different and IMO it's easier for any young player to play and gain confidence in a top side where you're not expected to be the kingpin from day one than a bottom side. Most of the above examples walked into finals sides. As the cubs develop and subsequently the side improves then our next draftees will find it easier than our current cubs.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Ox

« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2008, 07:27:10 PM »
Quentin Meyer. :wallywink

jackstar

« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2008, 07:28:02 PM »
Also, in my opinion Travis Cloke was easily the best player in that draft at the time

Great.  ;)

Well, if we're talking about at the time, I think everyone was looking at Deledio, not Cloke.

Cloke was father and son.  All pies had to give was a round 3 ?
Was easily the pick of the Melbourne based under 18,s clubs.
I know who I would rather have now

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2008, 07:57:17 PM »
he went for money but that aside i believe he wouldn't have come to punt road.

the blues at least have a winning culture. something we do not and that is sadly a fact!!

im not saying that because they beat port, give me a break, i am saying that because they will win a flag in the near future because they make the right decisions in recruiting and all footy departments.
How can anyone say a club that finished bottom 2 for the past 6 years straight bar one 10th including 3 spoons has a winning culture  ???. The Blues should be finally improving after all the high priority picks they've had but the week before Geelong pumped them by 10 goals and 3 weeks ago they conceded the first 7 goals against Brisbane at the Dome. Let's see how they go in the final 7 rounds when they play 6 of the top 8 sides before believing all the hype.

record number of flags since their introduction and since 1981 has won 2 in that time (1987 and 1995).

how many times have they made the finals since 1983 and how many times have we.

we as a football club have a losing culture you have got to be blind not to see that MT.

2 finals in 25 years that is a LOSING CULTURE my friend
Who cares what they did last century. We had a winning culture once too and both clubs last finals appareance coincides with us beating them. 6 years down in the bottom 2 and the worst record win/loss ratio of any club including us in that time is a losing culture. Hype isn't a winning culture.

Btw how long is our club and its supporters going to harp on about "we've been crap for 25 years". WTF has the current crop of cubs got to do with what crap went before them - that's right NOTHING! How long are we going to continue to wear this self-imposed baggage as a ball and chain. What like over 100 years like St Kilda?! That's why we fail - because we keep telling ourselves we are failures. Any time something doesn't go right quickly enough or we take a backward step, out comes the "we've been crap for 25 years" or "we've been rebuilding for 25 years". It's like driving in the country and having little kids in the back seat yelling continuously "are we there yet?". That is the difference in culture b/w us and other clubs. Other clubs think they're god's gift to footy even when they are crap and don't look back. We still seem to have people who want to wallow in the past.

thats nice MT but lets not forget that we are the ones who helped this club tick over 30 k members this year. We are the ones who have never deserted this club and never will. remember that!!

we will continue to harp on about it till our club stops making terrible recruiting decisions and we all know who im talking about.

lets talk about rebuilding shall we...rebuild with a dud like mcmahon wow that was a great choice wasn't it, and for that matter polak.
what has he done.

rfc members are negative because its these decisons which drive us up the wall. I have been very consistent about this trade from day one and any trade where we forego a high pick as we did here.

Miller what has he done-ooh thats right nothing. king, royal, mcrae how r these guys helping the kids develop.
they are rubbish and must go immediately

the only person in management who can and should high their head up high is steve wright for he has turned this club around financially

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Tigermonk

« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2008, 09:06:31 AM »
I think you're underrating Davis this year. He's been consistent, played more in the midfield and he's had more disposals and kicked more goals than Dale Thomas who is classed as a champion by some on this forum lol.

Yes Dale Thomas shows the traits of a future champion & is proving himself every week, constantly runs through the centre kicking goals & setting them up, he breaks games open & peees on players like Deledio & Tambling & had 1 less year in the AFL, compared to possessions Deledio & Tambling get theirs easy from overuse stats where Thomas gathers his stats by getting the ball & carries it taking the game on, not to mention the screamers he takes & the flies he goes for every week
l be there watching him on Sunday again cause l aint wasting my effin time & money watching Richmond get thrashed with ugly football
on Davis he play little midfield & rests in the forward line of course he would kick more goals then Thomas, cause he plays on the wing & is told to drop back to help defend & then carries the ball forward & sets players like Davis up around CHF area or pocket if you notice thats where Davis zone is
Not like Deledio & Tambling standing there watching the backline get destroyed thinking its not thier job to defend & leave it to Newman, Kingy & McMahon  ;D they dont even run hard to provide link ups in the zone their prop & start players & thats where we fail cause we too slow through them zones we handball to standing targets  :rollin the the Footy show Lous handball board moves more than our players receiving
if Thomas does something special this weekend l let ya know
Pendlebury is another who has had a year less in the AFL & takes on big names every week & is playing with injuries this year & still rated highly in the footy community
l know who l would have in my side
l hope to see Deledio or Tambling matchup on Pendles next year watch who wins out, l bet its pendles hands down

l will state again Dale Thomas in only his 3rd season now will be a champion like James Hird  :thumbsup

Tigermonk

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2008, 09:23:36 AM »
Richmond biggest blunder comes in missing a tall in Simon Taylor ( Hawthorn ) who went pick 53 who is strong in the ruck,  instead we got Dean Limbach who was a dud at pick 52 from the 2004 draft & never played a game & never will

Hawthorn draft scouts can go down in history as getting the best
Roughhead who was always going to be a AFL goalkicker
Franklin who had injuries as a youngster & has bad wings ( watch this space when injuries hit him)
Lewis my favorite, a hard mongrel player one of the best finds who taunts his opponants
Taylor talented bigman can play a few KP

Online wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2008, 09:38:35 AM »
Richmond biggest blunder comes in missing a tall in Simon Taylor ( Hawthorn ) who went pick 53 who is strong in the ruck,  instead we got Dean Limbach who was a dud at pick 52 from the 2004 draft & never played a game & never will

Franklin who had injuries as a youngster & has bad wings ( watch this space when injuries hit him)
Lewis my favorite, a hard mongrel player one of the best finds who taunts his opponants

For all their brilliance in reluctantly taking Franklin, the Hawks have a few horror stories.

Dowler (missed Ryder)
Thorp (missed Selwood)
Murphy (missed Van Berlo)
Muston (missed Ibbotson)
Little (missed Egan)
Ellis (yes he's playing in the seniors, but they missed Pendlebury)

And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #54 on: June 12, 2008, 12:17:04 PM »
blaisee - build a bridge - he must be doing your head in.

"Travis Cloke was easily the best player in that draft at the time"

I don't think that's such an outrageous comment.

at what time?

The time of the draft?

I dont understand

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2008, 12:19:29 PM »

Great.  ;)

so according to jack, even though lids and griffen were clearly the best two in the draft ( at any time of 2004), he rated cloke above them. Again, I repeat, no wonder he and becky got the ar@e

Offline blaisee

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #56 on: June 12, 2008, 12:22:58 PM »

Great.  ;)

Cloke was father and son.  All pies had to give was a round 3 ?
Was easily the pick of the Melbourne based under 18,s clubs.I know who I would rather have now

You would prefer Cloke to Lids. Really?

I wouldnt

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2008, 12:45:06 PM »

For all their brilliance in reluctantly taking Franklin, the Hawks have a few horror stories.

Dowler (missed Ryder)
Thorp (missed Selwood)
Murphy (missed Van Berlo)
Muston (missed Ibbotson)
Little (missed Egan)
Ellis (yes he's playing in the seniors, but they missed Pendlebury)

its all irrelevant when u pick up a guy called buddy franklin
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline dogged

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2008, 01:36:51 PM »
OK I am new to this forum but have read for years , Iam very annoyed at how someone like this so called supporter tigermonk can abuse our players and say he is not going to watch the tiges . You are a disgrace and absolute disgrace AND I don't think you know anything about footy.

Offline dogged

• Jack Dyer medallist
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2008, 01:43:04 PM »
So Jackstar Travis Cloke was your best pick from 2004 , well I watched his age group and others from u12's right through to 18 championships, what games wre you watching?