Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 289658 times)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
Re: State of Umpiring [merged]
« Reply #1290 on: April 25, 2019, 07:48:00 PM »
It was a farce in today's game. Aside from the typical Collingwood charity, twice all the players stopped in the last quarter expecting a clear HTB to be paid and it wasn't. Bomber fans lost it post-game over the umpiring which carried on to booing Pendlebury.
Last nights and today’s game!

I’m starting to think there are some umpires that don’t actually know the incorrect disposal rule.

How can someone who is tackled and doesn’t correctly dispose of the footy by either hand or foot not be penalised for incorrect disposal? 

It’s a bloody joke.

And that free to Cox for “blocking” against Hooker was mind boggling. But I’ve got to say that I don’t think most umps actually understand the rule. You’ve got to dispose of the footy in a legal way.
I thought over the offseason, Hocking and co. said they were cracking down on illegal disposal. The umps seemed hot on their HTB interpretation during the preseason. It's now gone back to "knocked out in the tackle" or "he got a toe to it" when the tackled player is run down and just drops it.

As for the two Lynch marks that weren't paid  ::). That is clueless umpiring :facepalm.
Is  “he made an attempt” even an actual bylaw in regards to incorrect disposal? If it is I haven’t read it. 

It wasn’t that just the Essendon players that stopped today, in those two decisions it was the Collingwood players that also stopped because in all the players minds on both occasions it was incorrect disposal, same part of the ground too so I’d assume it was the same ump.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1291 on: April 25, 2019, 07:58:56 PM »
It was a farce in today's game. Aside from the typical Collingwood charity, twice all the players stopped in the last quarter expecting a clear HTB to be paid and it wasn't. Bomber fans lost it post-game over the umpiring which carried on to booing Pendlebury.
Yep, I dislike both Collingwood and Essendon equally but watching the game Collingwood was on the best end of the umpiring.....Again.
The numbers don’t really say that but it was pretty clear for me as a neutral observer.
Again, like in our game last week, it wasn’t the free kicks that were paid but the free kicks that weren’t paid.

I’m not a boo-er but I can understand why the Essendon crowd pooed at the end.

We as supporters all pay good money to go and watch our teams play, all we want is a fair game, win lose or draw, and the umpiring in the last couple of years has be “pro” Collingwood from all the games I have seen them play.

It’s time teams spoke up IMO.
Yep. The Pies got away with a number of head high tackles that weren't paid. One ump kept saying McDonald-Tipungwuti had ducked. Hey ump, he's only 5ft tall or thereabouts :lol. From memory, Castagna got his head almost pulled off last night at one stage in our forward line and it was called play on as well.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1292 on: April 25, 2019, 08:06:35 PM »
These 2 flogs in AFL360 are talking all high and mighty about the booing after the game. (since when has booing been so offensive?)
Then they go on to say we shouldn’t boo champions, so I’m assuming booing just average players is ok?

Try talking about why the crowd booed.

The umpiring.

David King is the only one with big enough balls to actually say it.

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1293 on: April 25, 2019, 08:42:12 PM »
biggest bunch of hyprocrites, none moreso than bucks himself.

how was the crowd going when dom sheed was taking that kick? Thats okay because he aint a champion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3_6TMOvZAU

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #1294 on: April 25, 2019, 10:05:53 PM »
Well we probably came level with frees and possibly in front but that umpiring was shocking. Some of the lowlights were;
* Tom Lynch being victim of the new non mark Tom Lynch rule
* Multiple throws and drops by them in a row then I think Balta gets pinged for doing exactly what they done about five times in a row
* A clear 50 not paid

Even though we’re winning I hope the RFC is being loud about this to the AFL as it will
cost us in close games

Riewoldt got a blocking free paid against when he was the one running at the ball and McDonald was just standing there.
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1295 on: April 25, 2019, 10:07:47 PM »
It’s simple.
You currently have amateurs officiating a professional game.
Fix that and you’ll solve a lot of the inconsistencies
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline sdc01

• Premiership Captain
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1296 on: April 25, 2019, 10:33:15 PM »
why do they keep showing us fat Eddie and his son...i swear if i was a bombers fan sitting next to them i d smash their heads together like 2 coconuts after the way the muppets celebrated that crap free kick they got at the end when it should've been dropping the ball against Stephenson

Offline georgies31

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1297 on: April 25, 2019, 11:04:40 PM »
Since when has it been against the law to boo at games people do as they please as long as they arent breaking the rules.Give us break the al love the pies and media.

Offline JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1298 on: April 25, 2019, 11:16:10 PM »
The irony meter is about to blow!  Essendon supporters booing because they reckon something fishy is going on?  Hmm ....    :-\     
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1299 on: April 26, 2019, 09:49:13 AM »
So maybe Buckley could come out and explain how he feels about having a club President who in recent times cracked King Kong jokes about a champion of the game.

Over to you Nathan…….

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1300 on: April 26, 2019, 10:17:09 AM »
So maybe Buckley could come out and explain how he feels about having a club President who in recent times cracked King Kong jokes about a champion of the game.

Over to you Nathan…….

spot on. Bunch of hyprocrites that lot

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1301 on: April 26, 2019, 10:34:24 AM »
The irony meter is about to blow!  Essendon supporters booing because they reckon something fishy is going on?  Hmm ....    :-\   

I saw the game yesterday. They had every right to boo. The umpires gave the game to Collingwood yesterday. To be honest yesterdays umpiring was simply shameful.

Offline Slipper

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1302 on: April 26, 2019, 12:31:40 PM »

I saw the game yesterday. They had every right to boo. The umpires gave the game to Collingwood yesterday. To be honest yesterdays umpiring was simply shameful.

Only saw the last quarter on TV.

Saying it was shameful is being kind.

If you had money on the Bombers, you'd be filthy.

Offline yandb

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1303 on: April 26, 2019, 02:14:50 PM »
Umpiring went pear shaped when the umpires boss (usually ex umpires) were replaced with ex players and coaches.

It started when Jeff Gieshen got the gig it and went down hill from there.

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1304 on: April 26, 2019, 09:56:47 PM »

Agree it was absolutely disgraceful but nobody will be held accountable. I watched the replay again last night and it was simply astonishing.