Author Topic: Proud team reduced to paper Tigers (Herald-Sun)  (Read 3629 times)

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Re: Proud team reduced to paper Tigers (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2010, 11:18:23 PM »
In the words of Marvin the paranoid android from Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

"Why stop now just when I'm hating it"  ;D

You know, there are lots, and lots, and lots, and lots etc of men who know eff all about the game as well, and I wouldn't dare suggest they don't comment or have an opinion.
There is nothing right or wrong in opinions, they're just opinions.
Damian Barrett
Tim Gossage
Mike Sheahan 
Tony Shaw
Roy Masters
Ex-Richmond coaches

all say hi  :chuck

Feel free to add.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

TigerTimeII

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2010, 01:31:59 AM »
are we allowed to use the "c" word in this instance?

Absolutely NOT

No exceptions

:thumbsup

i was gonna say "cute"  lol

dont stress wp, no more c words

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2010, 09:53:21 AM »
I will add swans suppoorters from sydney to mt's list.

They know stuff all about the game, back when we played them a few seats down from me was a woman who read a book for the entire game.

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2010, 10:53:24 AM »
It has got nothing to do with being a Woman, it is just that she wrote the article and made the statement.  I don't agree with her way of teaching her kid how to deal with adversity, and perhaps her kid will prove to be less shallow than herself.  There are some soft as shyte dads that would do the same thing for the sake of the peace.
Lots of people name their swords......

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2010, 02:26:30 PM »
This isnt going to be popular but IMHO what i believe is the following......

Women, in general should not be allowed to comment on football

whether is its Kelly Underwood or Sally Bennett, or carloline wilson for that matter, they lack the knowledge, forsight, experience or general brain capacity to contribute anything worthwhile. There I said it, and I really couldnt give two hoots how unpopular or politically incorrect my opinion is. :help
[/quote

agreed. Those 3 collectively have no idea
I personally can't wait till the new tv rights so channel 9 c
can take her off the screen. She is not worthy to be labelled a commentator she is that bad.
Channel 10 WTF were you thinking???
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline WA Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2010, 02:32:46 PM »
This isnt going to be popular but IMHO what i believe is the following......

Women, in general should not be allowed to comment on football

whether is its Kelly Underwood or Sally Bennett, or carloline wilson for that matter, they lack the knowledge, forsight, experience or general brain capacity to contribute anything worthwhile. There I said it, and I really couldnt give two hoots how unpopular or politically incorrect my opinion is. :help

I am a 100,000,000 % advocate for women doing anything, I think they are great and can compare and conquer men in just about everything. BUT, I have to agree with you here, you are dead right, women have as much place in AFL COMMENTATING as they do in UFC. Keep the ladies in the board rooms and management but NOT commentating football, it just doesn't even sound right!!
DIMMA - You will be held ACCOUNTABLE...

“We are really excited about what we have brought in. We have got great depth of players that can take us where we need to go. We are just putting some cream on the top at the moment,” he said.

"Rucks:
Shaun Hampson is the No.1 man"

Ramps

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2010, 03:00:10 PM »
underwood is unlistenable ... just change channels when shes on!

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2010, 05:44:18 PM »
underwood is unlistenable ...

And Taylor, Shaw, Russell are "listenable"?  ::)

Ramps

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2010, 05:56:02 PM »

shaw is unlistenable, Taylor and Russell are listenable but they hate Richmond so that taints there commentary of our games.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2010, 06:01:25 PM »

shaw is unlistenable, Taylor and Russell are listenable but they hate Richmond so that taints there commentary of our games.

So can I take some licence with your reply and suggest that to us as Richmond supporters they are all "unlistenable"?  If so, then how can you mount a case for using gender as a basis for being "unlistenable"?  Sounds to me like the reason a commentator is "unlistenable" is because of their individual inadequacies as a commentator, not gender.  And FWIW, I don't find Underwood's commentating confronting any more, although it did take a period of 'acclimatisation' to get used to it.  She is far more more objective, balanced and unbiased than those other fools.

FNM

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2010, 06:04:32 PM »
I absolutely agree, listening to Underwood 'COMMENTATE' the game, I can never get used to - it just doesn't sound the same.  Not sure if I heard her for 15 years would I get used to her. But that should never stop stations from using her
Blaisee was referring to all women in any part of the sport - we should not have an opinion on anything according to him. Sorry Blaisee, never gonna happen

Like Jessica Watson, "if the boys can do it, so can I"  :thumbsup

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2010, 06:12:23 PM »
The funny thing is ,probably because i know a woman called Blaise, I had assumed Blaisse was woman  :P,

“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Ramps

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2010, 06:14:05 PM »

So can I take some licence with your reply and suggest that to us as Richmond supporters they are all "unlistenable"?  If so, then how can you mount a case for using gender as a basis for being "unlistenable"?  Sounds to me like the reason a commentator is "unlistenable" is because of their individual inadequacies as a commentator, not gender.  And FWIW, I don't find Underwood's commentating confronting any more, although it did take a period of 'acclimatisation' to get used to it.  She is far more more objective, balanced and unbiased than those other fools.

The voice for me is what makes who is listenable and unlistenable. Taylor and Russell have ok voices to commentate footy, I dont agree with there opinions, but they are listenable, Underwood screeches to much, anyway like most things in life its all about opinions and everyone is entitled to their own.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2010, 10:15:43 PM »

I forgot about Russell. Almost at the top of the list  :chuck.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Tigerland's tough love steels fans (Herald-Sun)
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2010, 05:19:00 AM »
Tigerland's tough love steels fans
Sally Morrell
Herald Sun
May 17, 2010

EACH time Richmond plays I'm left with just one consolation as I sadly turn off the TV and hug our crushed youngest

Suffering makes us more noble, right?

But my colleague, Sally Bennett, wants her son to suffer no more. On this very page last Friday she urged Tiger fans, including her 11-year-old son, to cancel their memberships and stop turning up to games.

"Cut that pack of losers loose, take a stand and make them earn your respect," she said.

Of course, I can understand her disappointment. I've seen my boys cry, too.

But there is a positive side to our bad start to the year. All right, disastrous start.

For one, my 10-year-old son is getting some amazing life lessons from his love affair with the Tigers. Never in his lifetime have they been even close to being winners, which means he's learning to lose and lose and lose again - and take it on the chin.

How many other kids his age have had this lesson drummed into them so often and so hard?

Remember, he's supposed to be one of the "everyone's a winner" generation. "Everyone gets a prize" is the mantra.

In my day the only winner for pass-the-parcel games was the kid left holding the parcel when the music stopped for the last time.

Now we wrap a present in every layer of paper on the parcel and make sure to stop the music so often and carefully that every child wins.

Nor do you win or lose much at primary school. The Student of the Week award seems to be handed out almost alphabetically.

And as for those report cards - talk about everyone being a winner.

But the Tigers are into tough love. It's lose, lose, lose all the way. This is the resilience-building stuff that psychologists charge a fortune to teach.

Each Monday morning for years my boys have known they'll get teased by their mates who follow the high-flying teams.

And each Monday morning they front up for their punishment.

This year in particular, I've seen my sensitive youngest harden up. Much more of this and hard words from some spiteful bully won't carry much weight any more.

Secondly, I'm really proud that my sons and my daughter have never thought once of switching to a more successful team.

And not only that, my youngest in particular has never once toned down his adoration of the team. Every wall of his room is still decorated with the boys from the yellow and black, and there's not even been a request to take off the Tiger stickers from the back of the car.

Talk about flaunting it.

Yes, all three are born optimists: "We're setting ourselves up for the next couple of years," says James.

But it's still really heartening as a parent to see your kids are not the type to drop their mates when the going gets tough.

These are children who will one day say those words "for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health" and know the full meaning of each syllable, and know also that they've met that test before.

Don't let your son switch teams, Sally. Yes, the Tigers might be "a pack of losers" but they're teaching our kids to be life's winners.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/opinion/tigerlands-tough-love-steels-fans/story-e6frfifo-1225867455192