Author Topic: Trade talk, rumours & innuendo 2022  (Read 105503 times)

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
Re: Trade talk, rumours & innuendo 2022
« Reply #270 on: September 01, 2022, 06:10:53 PM »
Francis yuck.
Go Tigers!

Offline camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #271 on: September 01, 2022, 06:33:51 PM »
We need target needs and age , not any and every player being discarded by their current  side

Offline Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #272 on: September 01, 2022, 06:46:48 PM »
Aaron Francis wants a trade from Essendon. He could be good key defender depth seeing as we have virtually none. I recall watching him play some decent games in the backline too. Would trade Castagna for him in a heart beat

IMO an under sized B grader. Not for me thanks. Surely he has a better role elsewhere maybe wing or half forward

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #273 on: September 01, 2022, 10:30:21 PM »
We need 2 x A Grade mids

Offline Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #274 on: September 02, 2022, 10:36:42 AM »
I would be looking at a Bobby Hill type. Imagine in a season if we didn’t have MRJ who have we got to keep the ball inside F50.I want to see more of Clarke to see if he has any defensive pressure.

We need to wake up because if we fall asleep during trade week like we did last year, then expect another year of the same.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #275 on: September 02, 2022, 12:17:16 PM »
The time has come for us to get ultra aggressive on the trade front. 
I don't agree with Dimma comments that we have great talent coming through in the VFL.  Happy to be proven wrong and there are some good players there. 
Sick of players always going to other clubs, let's have a crack at others not just Taranto.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #276 on: September 03, 2022, 03:25:44 PM »
Geelong are a chance for Grundy?

Why don't the media ever question how it is even possible.

They don't have draft picks, they shouldn't have cap space, they wouldn't trade any of their kids. I don't get it.

Lots of their players are veterans whose wages are partially outside the cap I believe. Although I think the AFL was looking to reduce this?

Personally I'd love RFC to go after Grundy if Collingwood is prepared to pay $300k of his wage as reported. Not sure how we could do it without moving on someone like Dusty, but TBH we have figured out how to win without Dusty this year and if he wants to go I am open to it.

The veterans list went a few years back. So all that money's include now

Read a very interesting article about Geelong and how it handles its cap. The article focused on how they got Jeremy Cameron.

First thing that stood out was Cameron is on less at Geelong than he was at the Giants. But also Dangerfield took less to go to the Cats. Article said he was offered more that would have made him the highest player in the game to go to other Cubs but he knocked it back.

Also said that they rarely do back ended contracts, their top liners have always taken less to keep the list together because they regularly play finals. Again used Dangerfield as example, while he maybe their highest paid it isn't like 500k more than the next highest paid.

They also if they are after a Cameron they need space they will look at players with say a year left and work in new  terms and do an extension. So say player A is in the last year of a deal and they are on $600k they will work on that players extension and give then a further say 2 years spreading the $600k over their last year and new 2 years. Freeing up cap space to get a Cameron. All Clubs do it just some do it so much better than others.

Throw in older blokes just taking cuts or retiring and you have a space quickly.

Biggest thing though was the want that players have to have success ( = regular finals) directly correlates to managing your cap. Geelong is consistently in finals, yes they lose them but they make finals. Players want that and some will forgo $$ to play finals

That's why we are now considered a destination Club because we are successful

We will free up cap space this year with the retirements and both Cotchin and Riewoldt taking cuts. So we can go after and get a Taranto  :thumbsup
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #277 on: September 03, 2022, 04:15:08 PM »
I think the Cats also offer very generous land deals
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Online Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #278 on: September 03, 2022, 10:13:18 PM »
It’s cost of living down there is cheaper - reverse cola if you will. It’s 25-30% cheaper to live in that hole which means players get bigger bang for buck.
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #279 on: September 05, 2022, 04:48:13 PM »
Despite Richmond reportedly being over the line in their pursuit of Taranto, their interest in Hopper is understood to remain alive, with Triple M reporter Tom Browne flagging this week that the Punt Road side are still a sniff as they look to potentially spoil the Cats' party.

"Whilst the prevailing view is that Hopper is locked into Geelong... it's still a big choice for Hopper because Richmond remain in the race.

"He still has to make that decision. It's most likely Geelong, but Richmond [are] still in the race. If Hopper chose Richmond clearly they'd have to clear more salary space."

https://www.zerohanger.com/giants-bull-jacob-hopper-tipped-to-join-geelong-tigers-still-in-race-afl-trade-news-gws-126892/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #280 on: September 05, 2022, 05:59:14 PM »
It’s all happening at Richmond! Trent Cotchin has been offered an extension AND they still plan on landing both Taranto & Hopper. @TomBrowne7 👇

https://twitter.com/triplemfooty/status/1566640634337042432

--------------------------

LISTEN HERE: https://www.triplem.com.au/story/taranto-hopper-still-both-trade-targets-for-richmond-205443

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #281 on: September 05, 2022, 06:13:09 PM »
AFL.com reporting we met with hopper today.

--------------------------------------

JACOB Hopper has met with Richmond as the Greater Western Sydney star weighs up his future.

Hopper is contracted to the Giants for next year but, as AFL.com.au revealed in July, has been considering a move to Victoria.

Geelong and the Tigers are pursuing the gun midfielder, with the Tigers set to land fellow Giants midfielder Tim Taranto.

It is understood Hopper met with the Tigers on Monday as the 25-year-old gets closer to making a decision on his preferred destination, with the Giants in a position to smooth their salary cap situation if he and Taranto depart.

Hopper played only seven games this season as he dealt with a knee injury, having been third in the Giants' best and fairest in 2021 when he was an All-Australian squad member.

He is a pre-agent, meaning he is a year out from hitting free agency, which would require a trade to be struck if he moved clubs.

Hopper is a graduate of the Giants' Academy, having been a top-10 selection in 2015 but he boarded at school in Ballarat before being drafted.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/837156
« Last Edit: September 05, 2022, 06:19:02 PM by one-eyed »

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #282 on: September 05, 2022, 06:38:09 PM »
Landing Hopper and Taranto would require pick 12 19 and our first rounder next year I think.

Taranto is elite at so many stats and Hopper is one of the younger All Aus members in recent history. They won't come cheap.
Go Tigers!

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #283 on: September 05, 2022, 06:56:51 PM »
Gimme gimme gimme

Offline Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #284 on: September 05, 2022, 07:05:04 PM »
Hopper never been all aus. While I do rate him as a player and would welcome his addition I am nervous about what the ramifications would be to our draft hand both this year and next to make this happen. Assuming we don’t get any high level picks in via trades and that a trade for both would require atleast 3 out of 12, 19, 30, 2023 first round, 2023 second round, that doesn’t leave us with much top end draft talent coming in over the next 2 seasons.

Could draw some parallels with the hawks bringing in Mitchell and omeara at the end of 2016 for 2 firsts and a second to try and stay competing but only really set back their rebuild. Although to be fair they had been ignoring the draft for the best part of a decade so it wasn’t just that one offseason which hurt them.