Author Topic: Dion Prestia [merged]  (Read 275484 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dion Prestia - 200th game this week [merged]
« Reply #1560 on: May 11, 2023, 11:52:39 AM »
From the Age article about Prestia's 200th by Michael Gleeson:

The return match against the Cats, and Stewart, deflects from a celebration of Prestia’s career. He plays his 200th game. Coincidentally, it is also the 200th game this week of his former Gold Coast Suns teammate and still-close friend Steven May.

It feels a world away from then to consider May and Prestia as Suns players, indeed May as the captain. Since leaving they have won four flags between them at their new clubs, been All-Australian (May) and won a best and fairest in a premiership year (Prestia). It’s a reminder of what might have been at Gold Coast when you also consider other former young Suns Tom Lynch, Jaeger O’Meara, Jack Martin, Charlie Dixon and Tom Hickey are still toiling and performing at other clubs.

“I absolutely loved my time on the Gold Coast. I have so many friends who live with up there who are still there or moved clubs as well. We learned how to grow up together and everything like that. So that’s why you always have that connection,” Prestia said.

“Big Steve May’s playing his 200th this week as well. I’m real close with Steve, like, we pretty much bonded as soon as we met each other up there.”

One of the more remarkable things about Prestia is he is essentially the same build now as he was then.

“I was looking at of photos from my Calder Cannons year. I’m like, I actually haven’t really changed all that much,” he said. Which partly explained why he quickly earned the nickname “Meatball” at the Suns.

Though Lynch, his teammate at Richmond and the Gold Coast, said he also picked up another nickname at the Suns - “The Box”. He was just a block.

Lynch recalled that the Suns told Prestia when he came to Melbourne for games and went home to Craigieburn that he had to tell his mum not to load him up with so much pasta because he had to trim down, not bulk up.

“I look for my first goal against West Coast, I’m actually pretty big there,” Prestia said.

But the home cooking hasn’t rubbed off on Prestia.

“I’ve lived with him for two years, and he has cooked me a meal once,” said teammate Ivan Soldo. Though the ruckman is not complaining, he joins Prestia at the Craigieburn family home for meals once or twice a week and always comes home with a big spread of left-overs.

Often the man-child in football can come to earth when the other teenagers catch up, and the physical edge the teenager has diminishes. That hasn’t happened in Prestia’s case, primarily because while his strength gave him an edge, so too did his explosive pace. And if you have pace, you don’t lose an edge.

Now he has a very tailored gym program and doesn’t do any upper body weights at all because he gets too big.

The other reason Prestia has retained an edge is that he has an intuitive understanding of the game. Soldo reckons he will be a coach when he finishes playing.

Andrew McQualter, one of the assistant coaches at Richmond who also played with him briefly at the Suns, had little doubt he would transition to coaching because he is already doing it now.

Prestia is one of the conduit players on the ground. He sees problems on the field in real time, and makes changes he knows the coaches will want before messages are sent.

“His ability to see the game is incredible. Him, Shane Edwards and Kane Lambert are the smartest players I have seen. He helps the group understand what it is we are doing,” McQualter said.

“But if we ever do anything at training that he thinks doesn’t relate to the game he pulls us up straight away. He gets grumpy. You get ‘Grumpy Dion’ and ‘Happy Dion’ and if we have ‘Happy Dion’ we are all happy.”

His football intelligence was one of the reasons that Tigers coach Damien Hardwick re-deployed him from the midfield last week into the forward line with a very simple instruction: you will work it out.

“I was actually pretty lucky, ‘Dimma’ kind of gave me a blank canvas and said ‘You’re smart enough to know the role, see how you play that role’,” Prestia said.

It worked out OK. Prestia kicked three goals in minutes and turned the game.

“The first one was like, ‘Finally I’ve kicked a goal this year’. And then I think by the end of it we were all like half laughing at it because it’s such a rare thing for someone to do let alone a midfielder who isn’t known for kicking goals.

“I did say to them [the other forwards], ‘It’s not that hard’.”

Surprisingly, he ran further and at a high pace for longer than he did as a midfielder. But he didn’t get knocked around in packs quite the same way.

Managing his body has been an ongoing thing. The frustration for Richmond fans, as much as for Prestia, is how noticeable it is when he isn’t there. He is a talismanic player.

“The way I play probably exposes me more to injury issues. Being more explosive and things like that it’s accepting that injuries are a part of the game,” he said.

“I haven’t had anything with my knees since I’ve been at Richmond. Touch wood the body is in good shape. That’s why I feel like I’ve still got a fair bit of footy left in me.”

After 200 games, the former Sun is still rising.

Source: The Age.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #1561 on: May 13, 2023, 04:28:52 PM »
Must have been a sweet win for Dion in so many ways  :thumbsup.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Online JP Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #1562 on: May 13, 2023, 04:52:17 PM »
I dunno Bakes, match up with an Oompa Loompah next time you try to chair somebody off the ground ....    :snidegrin
Once a Tiger, always a Tiger!  Loud, proud & dangerous!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Dion Prestia [merged]
« Reply #1563 on: May 14, 2023, 04:04:03 PM »
Ever wondered why Dion Prestia is nicknamed 'The Meatball?'

https://twitter.com/FOXFOOTY/status/1656948229395865601

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #1564 on: May 20, 2023, 10:23:00 PM »
Gutless effort tonight Dion. 11 touches. Saw you jogging and had back to play many times. Broken tackles.

No Parish, No Shiel, No Setterfield. Not good enough.
Go Tigers!

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1565 on: May 20, 2023, 10:24:04 PM »
Gutless effort tonight Dion. 11 touches. Saw you jogging and had back to play many times. Broken tackles.

Wort game he has played by a mile.

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1566 on: May 20, 2023, 10:24:12 PM »

Yep wasn't attacking the ball. Or the man actually.

Absolutely half arsed.

FooffooValve

« Reply #1567 on: May 20, 2023, 10:50:45 PM »
Stick a fork in him.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #1568 on: May 21, 2023, 12:15:05 AM »
Seemed disinterested

But wasn't alone

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1569 on: May 21, 2023, 09:29:37 AM »
When does his contract end? Hopefully now.

Thanks Dion now go away and enjoy your retirement.

Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Online Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #1570 on: May 21, 2023, 09:43:01 AM »
When does his contract end? Hopefully now.

Thanks Dion now go away and enjoy your retirement.

There is zero doubt he’s playing severely injured

Wouldn’t you think he has enough runs on the board to see how it plays out?
As opposed to just saying ooroo, off ya trot, and don’t let the door hit your arse on the way out
« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 11:24:44 AM by one-eyed »

Online Francois Jackson

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1571 on: May 21, 2023, 09:49:23 AM »
 He is done perhaps I should have said stick a fork in him he his cooked??

« Last Edit: May 22, 2023, 11:25:04 AM by one-eyed »
Currently a member of the Roupies, and employed by the great man Roup.

Offline crackertiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1572 on: May 21, 2023, 09:56:36 AM »
He looks overweight.

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #1573 on: May 21, 2023, 10:16:36 AM »
He looks overweight.

He looks cooked. Was woeful

Online Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
« Reply #1574 on: May 21, 2023, 10:48:36 AM »
Quite bizarre how bad he was last night.

If he’s really that injured then don’t play him.