Author Topic: Government bans announcers updating live betting odds during matches (H-Sun)  (Read 1068 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Government bans announcers updating live betting odds during matches

Phillip Hudson
    May 27, 2011

UPDATE 2.13pm: TV sports commentators and footy ground announcers will be banned from giving live betting odds under a gambling crackdown announced today.

Communications Minister Stephen Conroy said broadcasters and sporting groups would have until June next year to phase out in-game betting otherwise laws would be introduced and backdated to today.

"Ultimately it will be a ban,'' Senator Conroy said.

The crackdown will include TV, radio, internet, mobile phones, ground announcers and scoreboards.

Senator Conroy said it would be in-game betting and talks would be held to decide if odds were allowed before a game or at half-time.

He said the aim was to reduce and control "advertising being pushed into people's faces''.

"There's a very insidious culture starting to develop that is targeting the vulnerable and he young as their attending sporting events and they're watching on television sporting event,'' he said.

"You won't need to have Richie Benaud telling you and urging you, here's the odds on who's going to get out next or who's going to bowl the next no ball and telling you to get online and start betting.''

Senator Conroy said the ban would not apply to the racing industry.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/eddie-mcguire-says-its-a-good-bet-that-the-government-will-ban-broadcasters-updating-odds-during-live-coverage/story-e6frf9jf-1226064059318

Offline Fishfinger

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You can't put brains in an idiot
It's 50 of one and half a dozen of the other - Don Scott

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Just had to happen eventually
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

Hellenic Tiger

Yep. About time. :thumbsup

Offline tiger101

• RFC Hall of Fame
Just had to happen eventually

Yep thats why the states agreed to it. The other gambling reforms is what will have lobby groups fighting.

Offline dizza

• Premiership Captain
No complaints about that!
Push up!