Author Topic: AFL to expand to 18 clubs  (Read 19394 times)

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Gold Coast Kangaroos / AFL may expand to 18 clubs
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2007, 02:49:52 PM »
The Kanga's would be making a mistake if they rejected the AFLs offer to relocate. Regardless of the short terms financial rewards they can gain or membership increases they can inspire the reality is for North is that they just do not have the supporter base. If they decide to stay they will recieve a win-fall of sympathy and motivated stake-holders for a handful of years but this will simply be a band-aid over an ever increasing wound.

The Kanga's can not avoid the fact that they will never be able to compete off field with the financial powerhouses of the competition. It is becoming increasingly obvious that Melbourne can not support 10 teams who are all fighting for supporters, media focus, sponsorship and general interest.

On the Goldcoast they have an opportunity to carve out a large following, untapped sponsors and players. All of this coupled with the financial incentives that every other team in the competition would be jealous of and draft/uncontracted players rewards.

The Kangaroo supporters would still be able to see their team at live games just as many times as they do now but now with the added security and positive outlook of knowing that their team has not only survived but flourished. They would have a club that has the currency to invest in their football department, facilities and players. They would have additional media exposure and never have to concern themselves with the threat of losing their club altogether.

If the Kanga's just look beyond the moment, look beyond the past and look at what could be then they will realize that they have a real opportunity hear to make their club the envy of every other club in the competition.

But...time is quickly running out....Andrew will soon lose patience.

Stripes

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2007, 12:29:37 AM »
The Roos finishing top 4 this year is making it harder for the AFL to get them to move. They're not yet like Fitzroy dying slowly on and off-field.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2007, 12:47:05 AM »
D-Day for the Roos is 11am this morning.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Pies want to use Gold Coast to avoid all interstate away games
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2007, 02:03:21 AM »
Eddie offering to do the AFL a "favour" by extending the season to 24 rounds with the Pies getting to play 18 games in Melbourne plus 6 neutral away games on the Gold Coast against all the interstate sides. Meaning Collingwood would  have no more interstate away games and avoid travelling to Perth, Adelaide and Sydney  ::).

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22877648-11088,00.html

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2007, 04:47:39 PM »
THE AFL today rejected the Kangaroos' proposal for a 12-month stay on committing to a Gold Coast move.

The league said today it had to act now to establish a presence on the Gold Coast and had offered a multi-million dollar incentive package to the Kangaroos.

But unless the Kangaroos now agree to accept the package and base themselves in the region by 2010, the AFL's offer could be withdrawn.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22877727-11088,00.html

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
Kangas decide to remain in Melbourne
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2007, 06:37:39 PM »
According to BF, the Roos have decided to remain in Melbourne and James Brayshaw is their new president.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=9619461&postcount=1

A big call as the AFL are unlikely to do them any favours. It's now make or extinction for North now if this is true. What's worse is the AFL will now go ahead with their 17th team. So we'll have a bye and the new club will be given every concession known to man. I hope we have all our young cubs safely under contract so any new club can't get its  grubby little hands on them like Sydney did with Maxfield  >:(.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2007, 07:26:31 PM »
Dillusional

Good luck to them but they wont survive in Melb long term
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2007, 07:29:52 PM »
I have said it before and I'll say it again.
Pull the pin on that characterless passionless footy club altogether and do the competition a favour.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2007, 07:43:41 PM »
I've lost count of the number of times this club has told it's supporters it is facing extinction and they rally for a few months and disappear.

Note how I say supporters - they dont have enough members. Their supporters will wail and carry on but when it's needed they don't put their money where they need to and that menas putting hands in their pockets

I am sick of it.

Struth they are stupid - this is a fanstastic offer the AFL has put forward. Whether it is 100 mill or 45 mill it doesn't matter they are going to get so many concession if they move it aint funny. Priority access to un-contracted players, an extra 10% allowance in the salary cap, funding so they can pay the extra salary cap, it goes on and on for crying out loud.

Seriously, they are being offered a golden egg for being unable to stand on their feet while Clubs like ours fought their way out of financial problems.

And now they say we want to stay in Melb but I guarantee you they will still want their annual handout.

Now I am not an Andy D & Co fan but I'd be telling them fine you want to stay in Melbourne, you can but your annual prop up is over

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2007, 08:02:04 PM »
Well said WP. The AFL will grant a 17th licence for the Gold Coast and North will have missed the dangling carrot and we will be back to 16 teams again.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2007, 10:04:27 PM »
Expect a 18th team in Western Sydney by 2015.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2007, 04:40:02 AM »
Andy D saying he wants a Gold Coast team by 2010. He also apparently said 9 Victorian clubs can survive. The odd one out is North.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2007, 04:54:44 AM »
Hello Southport Sharks; goodbye North!

Southport wear black & white. Eddie will be happy sharing the colours with them and Port  :D.

http://www.southportsharks.com.au/

Offline julzqld

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2007, 08:36:52 AM »
Mixed feelings up here.  The other day, the back page of the Gold Coast Bulletin showed the 3 Kangaroos player who had just been in trouble with the headline along the lines of not wanting them here.  Today it shows a shark wearing Southport Shark colours taking a big bite out of a kangaroo wearing Kangaroo colours.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2007, 01:06:32 PM »
This 17th team better keep its hands off any of our cubs in particular ex-Queenslanders Rainesy and McGuane.