Author Topic: Recruiting manager  (Read 3148 times)

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
Re: Recruiting manager
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2014, 09:11:10 PM »
GR had no sentiment either and I bet there were a few around the RFC who loathed him too.
At the end of the day its results that count not the character of the footy ops.

I reckon the Saints are better off with Richo even though I agree with TM that Watters was treated awfully.

Just as freo are better off with Lyon.

As much of a good bloke Harvey is and a decent coach.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2014, 09:12:13 PM »
He back doored Scott watters , derms mate

Yep he did, reckon waters was treated terribly imo, rep tarnished but bloke knows football.

But just speaking purely from a list manager perspective, and not saying whether pelchen is the bet or not, but the way he goes abt it is what a list manager needs to do. No sentiment.

The club as a whole is way too sentimental & emotional. They can't think straight.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2014, 09:13:23 PM »
Can someone describe the difference between a Recruiting Manager and List Manager?

How can a recruiting manager successfully do his job without being in control of where the playing list is at?
How can a list manager successfully build / manage a list without being in control of who is recruited?

Makes no sense to me.

Massive difference

At Richmond Hartley as list manager is responsible for rating our list as well as then rating other clubs list and monitoring the contract status of all players throughout the comp. As part of rating our list he is supposed to identify gaps n our list and make recommendations as to what we needs to fill the gaps. Filling on the gaps includes working out what we need with regard to the draft, trading and free agency.

The recruiting manager is responsible for looking for the best talent available at the draft that meets the criteria of what the list needs as specified by the list manager

In its simplest form the list manager says what we need and the recruiting manager is charged with finding it to draft. However the list manager has the greater influence because they have the final say on trades and free agents. The recruiting manager has no say in who the club trades for or who they sign under free agency

At the RFC Both sit on the list management committee but reckon it is fair to assume Hartley has far more say than Jackson. His new job title clearly shows that  ;D
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Rampstar

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2014, 09:24:23 PM »
Whats his job title now ?

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2014, 09:27:42 PM »

General Manager of Player Personnel & List Management

Rampstar

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2014, 09:29:11 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ...  :lol

They're a bunch of Knobs at Richmond. They really are. No wonder we're stuffed.

Maybe they can employ me and I can be the General Manager for taking the Piddle out of them  ;D

Hellenic Tiger

« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2014, 09:43:46 PM »

Does he get an extra paycheck with the extra title?
It's like Idi Amin's regime.
If so is that where my FTF dollars are going?
What a scam. :help

the claw

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2014, 10:25:42 PM »
if we had a decent review system id say both would be on thin ice. alas when those in the inner circle look at each other nothing is gioing to change. oh for some decent processes.
i know ive had debates about this before but we need at the least an independent body come in and go thru the whole footy dept with a fine tooth comb.

how can a club defend a recruiting manager who has found just one good player after the 1st round in  the nd in  9yrs of trying.
how can the club defend the same bloke when not one junior rookie pick in 9 yrs has made it.  ffs thats his job its probably the most important job at any footy club and we settle for mediocrity.

as for blair hartley im with wp. hes put on some sort of pedestal by the club and a lot of supporters but his record is actually poor. his handling of list even poorer and contracts even worse.

think about it. footy clubs live and die on the back of two things recruiting and list management. those two things are followed closely by development.

ive been going on about these things non stop since 2001 and unfortunately i havent been able to move on because we are almost as bad now as we were then.

why is they get a few things right and sit back on their hands thinking the jobs done. they are amateurs.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2014, 11:25:16 PM »
Can someone describe the difference between a Recruiting Manager and List Manager?

How can a recruiting manager successfully do his job without being in control of where the playing list is at?
How can a list manager successfully build / manage a list without being in control of who is recruited?

Makes no sense to me.

Massive difference

At Richmond Hartley as list manager is responsible for rating our list as well as then rating other clubs list and monitoring the contract status of all players throughout the comp. As part of rating our list he is supposed to identify gaps n our list and make recommendations as to what we needs to fill the gaps. Filling on the gaps includes working out what we need with regard to the draft, trading and free agency.

The recruiting manager is responsible for looking for the best talent available at the draft that meets the criteria of what the list needs as specified by the list manager

In its simplest form the list manager says what we need and the recruiting manager is charged with finding it to draft. However the list manager has the greater influence because they have the final say on trades and free agents. The recruiting manager has no say in who the club trades for or who they sign under free agency

At the RFC Both sit on the list management committee but reckon it is fair to assume Hartley has far more say than Jackson. His new job title clearly shows that  ;D

I guess that highlights my main concern.

Who ultimately is responsible for recruiting X over Y?

Where is the line between Hartley requesting a KPF and we draft Ben Griffiths over Nat Fyfe midfielder who is best available player. FJ did his job and correctly recruited the next best forward (up for debate) but the club cops ridicule for missing out on Nat Fyfe who is clearly the better player.

Who is accountable for that decision? Hartley for prioritising a KPF or FJ for recruiting someone outside of next best available.

It invites spin, excuses and shifting blame so that not 1 person is accountable for building a premiership list.
Go Tigers!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2014, 11:25:52 PM »

Ridiculous club we are.
Go Tigers!

the claw

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2014, 11:56:02 PM »

Makes no sense to me.

Massive difference

Where is the line between Hartley requesting a KPF and we draft Ben Griffiths over Nat Fyfe midfielder who is best available player. FJ did his job and correctly recruited the next best forward (up for debate) but the club cops ridicule for missing out on Nat Fyfe who is clearly the better player.

Who is accountable for that decision? Hartley for prioritising a KPF or FJ for recruiting someone outside of next best available.

It invites spin, excuses and shifting blame so that not 1 person is accountable for building a premiership list.
i can categorically say i was against taking griffiths, i was one of few att. his injury history  ffs he missed 18months  basically two seasons before drafting him and then another season after.  and just the way he played it was really like , how to put it, a big kid beating up on small kids and he didnt do a lot in the areas for a bloke his size  that were important apart from the odd glimpse.
he should never have been taken at pick 19.
that yr i liked bastinac but i also knew talls were important i argued long and hard that if we take a tall at 19 we take carlisle or aaron black.mate im just a mug amateur yet it was pretty clear what should have been done. why cant the club get the basics right.there were tall options and there were mid field options yet the option we took was probably the most risky and on exposed form the wrong one. do they have proper processes even now.
eff i hate this freakin club at times.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2014, 12:03:11 AM »
I badly wanted Carlisle ahead of Black.....didn't want Griffiths at all, knew we'd be taking a tall with that pick so wasn't even thinking about any of the mids.
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2014, 06:59:00 AM »

Ultimately, the buck actually stops with the GM of footy as he is head of the entire dept  ;D

But I see your point

I have my view on who has the responsibility or the most say but most disagree with me  ;D

Jackstar is back!!!

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2014, 07:35:43 AM »

Thought his job title was " coaches best mate "

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2014, 10:45:33 AM »
So all in all it appears that our list and list management is not up to snuff. Easy. get it fixed NOW ready for our next coach.

peggy / benny, get this done if we have a crap list then the rest is pointless.