Author Topic: Dylan Grimes [merged]  (Read 233612 times)

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
Re: Dylan Grimes [merged]
« Reply #765 on: February 07, 2017, 08:54:44 AM »
The old claw use to have a certain level of dignity and integrity. Posted opinions albiet some controversial but many on the mark.

Not sure whats happened here.....
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #766 on: February 27, 2017, 10:37:13 PM »
Gee wiz Grimes looked soft with his tackling and running with the flight of the ball to only get a front on contact free by Betts...

tony_montana

« Reply #767 on: July 02, 2017, 09:19:36 PM »
The thing Im loving about Grimes over the past few weeks is he's now doing the things that make him a complete defender.

He used to play ultra conservative, never going for the big marks, always looking for the boundary. Over the past few weeks he is now taking some strong contested marks, he's stopped fumbling and become a one grab player.

There was a play late in the 3rd qtr just before 3/4 time where port tumbled a ball inside 50, Grimes was running at it with an opponent 10 metres behind and another closing 10-15 in front, if he fumbled we were cooked and wouldve copped a goal on the siren, instead he took it at full pace dished off the handball and away we went.

GUN!!!! and the job he did on the inform Gray was 1st class. hasnt had a goal kicked on him in 5 weeks, has now got the confidence to go for marks and rebound more. Love it, is going to elite level

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #768 on: July 02, 2017, 10:09:10 PM »
Is this still going. No one wants to admit old dylan is as soft as butter oh boo hooo.Good ordinary player who is almost totally lacking in physicality.
But hey we dont have many top notch defenders of any description so we just have to talk up the good ordinary ones.

Lulz
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #769 on: July 03, 2017, 02:45:41 AM »
From Robbo's "Likes" column today:

2. DYLAN GRIMES

It seems every conversation about Richmond involves Martin, Rance, Cotchin and Riewoldt, yet plenty of players are contributing to Richmond’s success.

The mosquito fleet has elevated the Tigers, led on Saturday by Jayden Short up one end and Dan Butler the other.

Defender Dylan Grimes has also lifted. He is a coach’s dream. Give him a job and it gets done. He played on Port’s Robbie Gray for 74 minutes and kept him to 10 disposals and zero goals. He also took care of Hamish Hartlett when both went at the ball at full pace.

Hartlett copped the knee and Grimes won more plaudits for his straight-ahead attitude.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/expert-opinion/the-tackle-mark-robinsons-likes-and-dislikes-from-round-15/news-story/07f6efdf39ea5236ab85b7cedc5248e9

Online Andyy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #770 on: July 03, 2017, 02:32:51 PM »
Have rated this guy since day dot. Developing a man crush similar to Rance now LOL

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #771 on: July 03, 2017, 03:19:57 PM »
Can anyone confirm if he is soft as has been touted by some experts?

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #772 on: July 03, 2017, 03:46:53 PM »
Im happy for Grimesy
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #773 on: July 05, 2017, 06:46:30 PM »
Grimes going great guns

richmondfc.com.au
5 July 2017

The excellent form displayed by dependable Richmond defender Dylan Grimes throughout this season may not have attracted much attention within the wider AFL community, but inside the four walls at Tigerland he is held in extremely high regard.

Grimes, who turns 26 on July 16, is playing the best football of his league career, combining tight, disciplined defensive work, with some good rebound.

With his closing speed, composure, toughness, bravery, football ‘smarts’ and capacity to play on small and tall opponents, Grimes’ importance to Richmond’s backline is immense.

Read more: http://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2017-07-05/grimes-going-great-guns

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #774 on: July 05, 2017, 06:47:59 PM »
Is Dylan Grimes the most underrated defender in the AFL?

Herald Sun
July 5, 2017 11:05am

ALL the attention is on Dusty, Rance and Cotchin, but as Richmond’s premiership credentials grow, so does an unheralded defender.

Dylan Grimes destroyed Robbie Gray in the Tigers’ win over Port Adelaide on the weekend and, according to Champion Data, he hasn’t had a goal kicked on him by a direct opponent since Round 9 — six weeks ago.

Is he the most underrated defender in the game?

Link to AUDIO: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/more-news/superfooty-podcast-is-dylan-grimes-the-most-underrated-defender-in-the-afl/news-story/4cf566a4af0628173fe969e2ebcbc52d

dwaino

« Reply #775 on: July 05, 2017, 07:32:44 PM »
Surely would be in AA squad contention. Not sure we would have 3 picked in the final squad (assuming Dusty and Rance) unless we made the grand final but he has been awesome this year.

Offline Simonator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #776 on: July 05, 2017, 07:40:52 PM »
I guess the question for AA is he attacking enough

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #777 on: July 06, 2017, 02:33:54 AM »
Is this still going. No one wants to admit old dylan is as soft as butter oh boo hooo.Good ordinary player who is almost totally lacking in physicality.
But hey we dont have many top notch defenders of any description so we just have to talk up the good ordinary ones.

Lulz

Higgins, check
Hartlett, check
Who's next? Hickey?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #778 on: July 08, 2017, 01:23:21 PM »
Tiger Dylan Grimes part of vintage crop

Michael Gleeson
The Age
8 July 2017

Dylan Grimes is a good footballer. He is also a very good wine-maker, the owner of a vineyard that makes very good wines. Unlike other footballers about whom the cliche is applied, he actually does have something worth bottling.

Grimes is a vigneron. To our knowledge, he is the only one in the AFL. Last October, he bought Mount Macedon Winery.

Grimes loves wine, its complexity and nuance and how subtle changes can have a significant impact on the quality from the same grapes vintage to vintage, but he didn't set out to buy a winery. It wasn't about the wine. He and partner Elisha were hunting for the right rural property close to Melbourne that they could operate for weddings, receptions and corporate functions.

It was about lifestyle more than wine. Elisha was in wedding management at wineries in the Yarra Valley and Dylan came off a hobby farm at Panton Hill at the base of Kinglake mountain in the north-eastern part of the Yarra Valley when he stepped into football at Richmond. They wanted to have the lifestyle shift to the country and run a business.

The winery sits at the base of Mount Macedon on slopes that sweep down to state forest. The winery is now named after the mountain it nuzzles up to but when it was first bought and planted out it was owned by the singer Olivia Newton John for her Koala Blue label. The label went bust in 1991.

The winery changed hands a few times and one of the owners ripped out acres of ill-suited grape varieties and concentrated on pinot noir and chardonnay. Both are extremely good (well you can't guess at these things, it's best to be thorough in your research).

"We knew from the start it was very much a lifestyle choice. I come home all the time and I am in the paddock and it doesn't feel like work. We are lucky to find something we both love and can work on together as well," he said.

"We were looking for all different types of farms and originally this place had 20 acres of vineyards, now it has about six-and-a-half. The vines that were left were the original lot that was planted in 1989, so this was by far the better block and they kept these and pulled out the others. The irrigation and stuff is  there so we will look to replant them in the long term, but with more pinot probably."

Grimes talks about the vineyard with infectious enthusiasm. They started small in October, just planning to get things right for weddings, but then a connection with Matt Harrop at Shadowfax had them bottling their own wine (the pinot will be under their label, the chardonnay has been sold under Shadowfax). They reopened the cellar door which had been closed for six years and now they are busy every weekend with lunches, wine sales and weddings. The property runs Black Angus cattle, poultry and has a herb garden to supply the cellar door restaurant.

Dylan splits his time between the vineyard and the city. When he is training and playing, he stays in Richmond with his brother Jack who recently retired after captaining Melbourne for a period.

The work on the vines and the paddocks draws him out constantly. The summer was hard. Pre-season is difficult and around that he was trying to renovate the cellar door facility and work in the vineyard. Having cracked into the work from the moment they settled, he arrived back for pre-season training the only Richmond player to have lower fat levels than when he left.

"I have never been happier. The first few months were challenging, pre-seasons are hard and I am tired and you come back here and work and often there are long days at the club as well."

As a vineyard owner, and producer of his own wine, he understands about balance. About getting conditions right to produce something special. His football club has done something similar this year in finally getting its balance right. Certainly in defence, where Grimes plays, they have.

After a run of seasons regularly interrupted by injuries, Dylan is playing the best and most consistent football of his career. Whether it is a cause or effect of getting the balance right in his life away from the game, being so occupied and stimulated is academic but he suspects that it is so.

"Whether there is a link I am not sure, I strongly believe players who have a balanced lifestyle play their best footy. I guess at the moment I am finding that balance," he said.

The balance is there on the field most notably in the trio of tall defenders at Richmond who bring the best out of each other. Alex Rance is popularly accepted to be the best defender in the game. Grimes and David Astbury are important in allowing him to be as good as he is. And in turn Rance's game elevates Astbury's, Astbury's complements Grimes'.

"The bond that Alex, Dave and I have formed as a deep three defence has been huge. We invested a lot in playing together, our backline has been unchanged other than a few injuries with Reece Conca going down and Bachar out more recently, but there has not been much of a shake up to the backline which helps us so much because the more you play with them the better you are.

"We are all three very different players, Dave is an absolute brute, he is the typical fullback who can win the ball back for you and take those marks and Rancey is just a freak of nature the way he plays and then I try and fill the gaps in between if there is a small forward playing deeper I take him or try and leave my man a bit to chop them out.

"When the ball is going in and you see Rancey going one on one I can hedge my bets and know that he is probably going to win that contest and the same with Dave so that allows me to be slightly more attacking with my position but playing with someone you haven't played with before you have to still stay on your man because you don't now what the result of the contest is going to be."

The effect is Richmond are among the best defensive teams in the competition. They rank first for keeping opposition side from converting times inside their forward zone to a score or a goal. They have conceded the second lowest number of points of any side.

They are the best team for a turnover in defence not resulting in a goal, and third fewest score from clearances at stoppages.

All of this is relevant because of the last 12 premiers, nine have been ranked in the top three for defence. Presently Richmond sit second.

Like a good wine, depth is found when everything is in balance.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/richmond-tigers/tiger-dylan-grimes-part-of-vintage-crop-20170707-gx6wmb.html

Offline 🏅Dooks

• FOOTBALL EXPERT
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • 🏆✴✔👍⛉🌟
« Reply #779 on: July 08, 2017, 02:39:51 PM »
Id go so far as to say he is easily in the top 10 tall defenders in the comp.
"Sliding doors moment.
If Damian Barrett had a brain
Then its made of sh#t" Dont Argue - 2/8/2018