Author Topic: Why Richmond need a tall forward option like Mason Cox (Foxsports)  (Read 1821 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Why Richmond Tigers need a tall forward option like Mason Cox to help out key forward Jack Riewoldt

July 6, 2017
by Peter Tseros
FOX SPORTS

DESPITE being within the top four for majority of this season, the Tigers are still not perfect as they are expected to make a serious play in September.

Through a couple of handy recruits in Dion Prestia, Toby Nankervis and Josh Caddy, as well as the emergence of young talents in Jayden Short, Dan Butler, Shai Bolton and Jason Castagna, Richmond has excelled in 2017.

However, there is one key area the Tigers need to fill if they are going to be a successful club for not only this year, but also the years to come.

It is clear Richmond have a number of excellent small forwards that will be around for quite some time, with Castangna, Bolton, Daniel Rioli, Butler, Sam Lloyd, Ben Lennon and Tyson Stengle all looking quite impressive.

However, the Tigers lack a secondary tall option to help star key forward Jack Riewoldt, with Ben Griffiths being injured once again and Todd Elton clearly not being the answer.

In addition, injuries to Shaun Hampson and the game looking as if it has passed by veteran Ivan Maric, the Tigers have only had Nankervis to call upon as their ruckman. Although, the young Ivan Soldo has looked impressive in his debut season, however he has only managed two games.

It is clear Richmond need another tall target with Josh Schache, Jack Gunston, Kurt Tippett and Levi Casbolt’s names all being thrown into the equation as possible recruits this year.

However, there is another man who should be on Damien Hardwick’s radar and that’s Collingwood rookie listed tall, Mason Cox.

Cox is currently in his third season on the Magpies rookie list, with him needing to be elevated to the senior list at season’s end in order for him to remain a Pie.

With Collingwood unlikely to make finals this year, it has resulted in immense pressure on the shoulders of coach Nathan Buckley, which could cause a mass amount of exists to come at season’s end.

After a breakthrough year in 2016, where the then 25-year-old kicked 17 goals from 11 games and kept dual All-Australian winner Travis Cloke out of the side, he has only managed five underwhelming matches this year.

However, after a three-goal haul against Hawthorn over the weekend, he has reminded us that he can play at the highest level.

Cox (211cm tall) is best suited up forward, although he can shift into the ruck as well, potentially helping both Riewoldt and Nankervis.

If Collingwood are to move Cox on at season’s end or even if they are not, Richmond should make a serious pay for him heading into 2018 as he can slot into their side immediately.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/media-academy/why-richmond-tigers-need-a-tall-available-option-like-mason-cox-to-help-out-key-forward-jack-riewoldt/news-story/efb135ced0c47bd69d1dc22e02981ce5

Offline Willy

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • All up inside ya.
Re: Why Richmond need a tall forward option like Mason Cox (Foxsports)
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 08:11:03 AM »
Lol

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2017, 08:44:10 AM »
He does try hard whenever I've seen him play.

Offline wayne

• Fame of Hall
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • In Absentia
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2017, 08:59:39 AM »
No we don't
And you may not think I care for you
When you know down inside that I really do

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2017, 10:36:56 AM »
FMD

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2017, 10:50:03 AM »
we dont need one tall fwd we need two.

We need a KPF  195 plus who can pinch hit in the  ruck if need be  must be a very good  kpf  though.
 we also need to  go out and find a ruck fwd. Someone very mobile good motor with a good leap and can take a good grab sort of an opposite type of ruckman to Nankervis who is more crash bash.
Would really like a McGovern type adelaide version real  good in the air with genuine height 191cm and very mobile.

Lets just say we snared Patton and McGovern a fwd set up like this would be ideal imo

Bolton - Patton - McGovern
Butler - Riewoldt - Rioli.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 01:03:44 PM »
Sam Hayes.  :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 01:20:13 PM »
...will likely be gone before our current first pick.....Balta may not be though...  :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 01:38:49 PM »
True, but could do a Grundy and slide....
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

tony_montana

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 03:25:57 PM »
No thanks to Cox

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2017, 04:15:48 PM »
Malaka article
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline big tone

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2017, 06:45:46 PM »
I reckon we should be looking at Hawthorn or West Coast for potentially one of the KPP.
Both sides seem to have many options.

Ryan Burton from Hawthorn looks like he will be a star in the future and at pick 19 was a steal.
Let's hope we can nab one in this years draft like him and potentially trade/FA one as well.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2017, 08:17:36 PM »
No thanks to Cox

You don't like big Cox? Bucks loves him  ;D
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline the claw

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2017, 09:49:47 PM »
I reckon we should be looking at Hawthorn or West Coast for potentially one of the KPP.
Both sides seem to have many options.

Ryan Burton from Hawthorn looks like he will be a star in the future and at pick 19 was a steal.
Let's hope we can nab one in this years draft like him and potentially trade/FA one as well.
ha should i say i told ya so.

Tom Barass is the one we should go hard at, and i know most will say we dont need another key defender but they are wrong.

Phew argued strongly for us to take Burton kid is a gem.

The team to target for kpps is Brisbane imo. yep not are proven but you can see whats there.

tony_montana

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 10:00:01 PM »
I can't see wce letting barass go.

Call me crazy but I'd be having a crack at Liam Jones. Looks very comfortable down back  and is very mobile for a tall, he'd also be fairly cheap $$ wise