Author Topic: State of Umpiring [merged]  (Read 288275 times)

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
Re: State of Umpiring [merged]
« Reply #2820 on: September 08, 2023, 06:01:59 AM »
Maynard contact with Brayshaw.
Accidental in the moment but gee the AFL have made a rod for their backs on this one

Should be 4 weeks on past judgements

Weeks or Nada??

Online Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2821 on: September 08, 2023, 09:32:38 AM »
Accidental in the moment but gee the AFL have made a rod for their backs on this one

Weeks or Nada??

Yeh going to be interesting, pure accident, braced for contact but caused bad damage high.

I cant pick what they will give him

Offline Hart4Jack

• Future Richmond star
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #2822 on: September 08, 2023, 10:43:07 AM »

Weeks or Nada??

Yeh going to be interesting, pure accident, braced for contact but caused bad damage high.

I cant pick what they will give him

Mansell shouldn't have been suspended nor should Maynard.  The AFL have royally stuffed this issue. There are "in play" incidents & there are off the ball ones, they seem to be unable to differentiate between the two.

Michael Christian is absolutely incapable of doing the role of MRO consistently, he's all over the place.  Useless.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #2823 on: September 09, 2023, 02:05:10 AM »
https://twitter.com/7AFL/status/1700119968300384394

Another game and another poor ARC angle from a camera stuck with the resolution quality from the 70s/80s :facepalm. #blurry.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline lamington

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2824 on: September 09, 2023, 01:51:50 PM »
Thank god Michael Wilson got a photo of the touch. Maybe they should just have him and his clone on the goal line instead.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #2825 on: September 09, 2023, 08:21:58 PM »
You can't brave for contact in a bumping fashion anymore. He needed to put his arms out as the strategy to protect himself. Will get weeks if they are consistent.
Go Tigers!

Online MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #2826 on: September 12, 2023, 09:22:53 PM »
Maynard getting off is BS considering what they did to Mansell, but now precedent is created.

In saying that it is finals and Cotchin got off which could have gone the other way.

Danger suffered nothing after raising an elbow to Vlas

Very confusing.

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #2827 on: September 12, 2023, 10:25:36 PM »
It's so inconsistent it's just crazy.

Not a huge Lyon fan but Gary made a really good point that players should be held accountable when opponent has the ball with 3 options.

Bump, Tackle or Smother.

In all actions you have duty of care not to injure the head. Either with a head high bump, sling or dangerous tackle and this would be the rare reckless smother. Another reckless smother would be a well disguised bumping smother which has a head clash or shoulder to head. We've seen a head clash during a bump get suspended eg Fyfe.

So under that theory Maynard should be suspended but alas. Finals tax strikes again.
Go Tigers!

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2828 on: September 23, 2023, 04:44:00 PM »
Hawthorn premiership captain Luke Hodge has labelled some of the umpiring in last night’s preliminary final “pathetic”.

The umpiring decisions - of lack thereof - in the second half of the match irked Hodge.

“We’ve got umpires that overrule from 70 metres away three weeks ago, but then when it comes to a prelim when one point causes a win or a loss and a season to finish for a team and the umpires put the whistle away.

“A lot of those decisions were pathetic.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-2023-collingwood-vs-gws-umpiring-free-kick-count-luke-hodge-comments-calls-them-pathetic/news-story/4bbe381f2a3c0a7f95ec278c66764b14

Online camboon

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2829 on: September 23, 2023, 05:08:11 PM »
And the AFL allow Daicos off when he smashes a blokes head into the ground and has a concussion test
It’s just cheating by the Collingwood cheat Christian , totally prejudiced

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #2830 on: September 24, 2023, 06:25:57 AM »
And the AFL allow Daicos off when he smashes a blokes head into the ground and has a concussion test
if that was a richmond boy you'd say play on, especially if another bloke had the players arm!
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Online Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2831 on: September 24, 2023, 08:39:37 AM »
if that was a richmond boy you'd say play on, especially if another bloke had the players arm!

Sicily got 3 weeks fora tackle that wasn’t that bad. Christian is a cheating idiot

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2832 on: September 30, 2023, 05:35:07 PM »
Just over a minute to go and the umpire pays advantage when clearly the Lions didn't know the free had been paid. 100k people screaming can sort of drown out whistles

Thwtvwas a shocking call. May have cost Brisbane the game

And if umpire 14 is supposedly the one of the best 4 of the season then no wonder footy fans are confused and disgusted
« Last Edit: September 30, 2023, 06:27:30 PM by WilliamPowell »
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Online The Machine

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2833 on: September 30, 2023, 05:44:24 PM »
Just over a minute to go and the umpire pays advantage when clearly the Li9ns didn't know the free had been paid. 100k people screaming can sort of drown put whistles

Thwtvwas a shocking call. May have cost Brisbane the game

And if umpire 14 is supposedly the one of the best 4 of the season then no wonder footy fans are confused and disgusted

The AFL have wrecked the game and the current way it is umpired, it is a Lottery at best. Daicos dropping knees and rolling the shoulder get frees get most others don't. Corrupt is what it is under Gil and the rest of the boys club.

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #2834 on: September 30, 2023, 05:45:48 PM »
First three years of the stand rule and the first time the minor premiers have won the flag in three consecutive years. :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.