Author Topic: 13 survivors under Wallace  (Read 2802 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
13 survivors under Wallace
« on: October 22, 2008, 04:52:57 AM »
Of the list of 42 Tigers Wallace inherited, 13 have survived through to his 5th and final year:

J.Bowden, Brown, Coughlan, Foley#, Jackson, Johnson, Moore#, Newman, Pettifer, Raines, Richo, Schulz, Tuck

# - rookie in 2004

Just for the record here's the 29 that have gone from 2004:

Archibald, Blumfield, Campbell, Chaffey, Dragicevic#, Fiora, Fleming, Fletcher,
Gaspar, Gilmour, Hall, Hartigan, Hilton, Houlihan, Hyde, A.Kellaway, D.Kellaway,
Krakouer, Marsh, Morrison, Nicholls, Ottens, Roach, Rodan, Rogers, Stafford,
Tivendale, Weller, Zantuck

I'll also list the Wallace recruits in the past 4 years that have departed (and what they cost us to draft):

Meyer     pick 12
Casserly  pick 40
Limbach   pick 53
P.Bowden  pick 55
Peterson    pick 60
M.Graham  pick 65
Knobel    psd 1
Kingsley  psd 8 
Clingan#
Howat#
Humm#
Silvester#
Cartledge#?

bushranger

Re: 13 survivors under Wallace
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2008, 09:29:30 AM »
This just shows me that a list has to change all the time. Nothing more or less.
Some we agree on and some we don't.

Offline Stripes

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2008, 09:53:07 AM »
Out of all the players that are gone only Ottens I would like back. All the rest were poor to average at best. Even Campbell was a good honest toiler who made the most of his ability (makes for a good coach though).

Just shows what poor recruiting and what a poor team we have been for such a long time.

Also good to see out of the players that have been drafted over then last 5 or so years the only high pick which underperformed was Meyer, and this was more due to injury than poor form. Though JON could fill this category next year if he doesn't break into the team in 2009.

Very positive

Stripes

Offline tigersalive

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2008, 10:22:57 AM »
Out of all the players that are gone only Ottens I would like back. All the rest were poor to average at best. Even Campbell was a good honest toiler who made the most of his ability (makes for a good coach though).

Just shows what poor recruiting and what a poor team we have been for such a long time.

Also good to see out of the players that have been drafted over then last 5 or so years the only high pick which underperformed was Meyer, and this was more due to injury than poor form. Though JON could fill this category next year if he doesn't break into the team in 2009.

Very positive

Stripes

I'd have Rogers back.  But Rogers was my favourite player as a young grasshopper so maybe I was blinded.
EAT EM ALIVE!

Offline Bene Boy

• Jack Dyer medallist
  • I'm a 2014 member - Are you ?
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2008, 11:15:50 AM »

Very positive

Stripes
injury free Gas was a good player iirc  made AA TEAM
The question we all want an answer too
Are These The Real Richmond Tigers ?

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2008, 01:13:54 PM »

Yeh I would rather have Gaspar back as he was yellow and black, Ottens in my book is a grubby lump.

The funny thing is though we dont need Gas with Moore, Thursfield and McGuane but we do need a quality ruckman.

Offline Beren

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2008, 01:59:12 PM »

Agree, but very unfashionable to say so. ;)
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2008, 10:50:19 PM »
The game has changed greatly even in the past 18 months that even Gas in his prime wouldn't last long now with his poor footskills in the backline. He was top shutdown fullback but you need to be able to rebound and set up attacks by foot nowdays which wasn't Gas' forte.

Imagine too Duncan trying to kick precisely through a zone lol  :help.

Most of those names cut are frightening btw. Just 3 out of 29 were wanted by another AFL club and even then Fiora spends most of the time playing VFL at Casey.

All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2008, 08:58:30 AM »
Most of those names cut are frightening btw. Just 3 out of 29 were wanted by another AFL club and even then Fiora spends most of the time playing VFL at Casey.

You got that right MT, our list was shocking.

Offline Smokey

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2008, 09:19:27 AM »

You got that right MT, our list was shocking.

But it's very important to remember that according to some on this list and many in the media, it is all Wallace's fault that he couldn't turn this collection of footballing gems into a regular finals side - nay, a premiership side - in 4 years.  After all, Hawthorn had a comparative list for Clarkson to start with!  Shame on you Terry.   :banghead

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2008, 09:22:14 AM »
As they say Smokey you cant let the facts get in the way of a good story

Offline tiga

• Exhaling Carbon in the
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Yes Hampson has taken a mark!
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2008, 10:33:08 AM »

I'd have Rogers back.  But Rogers was my favourite player as a young grasshopper so maybe I was blinded.

I agree Tigersalive. Muppet hands was one of my favorites too. He was a true finisher and tough as nails. Also really good in pressure situations.
He just got a bit left for pace in the end.

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2008, 06:49:45 PM »

I agree Tigersalive. Muppet hands was one of my favorites too. He was a true finisher and tough as nails. Also really good in pressure situations.
He just got a bit left for pace in the end.
Rogers was good up to 2000-1 but towards the end he dished out too many handgrenade handballs that went nowhere.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2008, 03:51:59 AM »
Of the list of 42 Tigers Wallace inherited, 13 have survived through to his 5th and final year:

J.Bowden, Brown, Coughlan, Foley#, Jackson, Johnson, Moore#, Newman, Pettifer, Raines, Richo, Schulz, Tuck

Wallace recruits in the past 4 years that have departed (and what they cost us to draft):

Meyer     pick 12
Casserly  pick 40
Limbach   pick 53
P.Bowden  pick 55
Peterson    pick 60
M.Graham  pick 65
Gourdis   psd 1
Knobel    psd 1
Kingsley  psd 8 
Cartledge#
Clingan#
Collard#
Howat#
Humm#
Just updating the list since yesterday's delistings. Still 13 original survivors.

Apart from Whitey the PSD has been a waste of time for us.

Offline tdy

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2008, 12:15:54 PM »
What was wrong with Gourdis?

I thought he was going to be a ruckman project player that would come into his prime at age 24, so no games this year was par for the course. But after one year he's gone.  Did the recruiting staff stuff up that much with the pre season draft?  Or was there nothing to really choose?

Did anyone see him play at casey?  I assume he played there.