Author Topic: Dumbest Coach in AFL  (Read 3051 times)

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Dumbest Coach in AFL
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2014, 04:04:33 AM »
We sat third level aisle 45. Highest we've sat in ages because we're level 1 at the G and got to see things we normally don't get to. We couldn't believe how stagnant Richmond were whenever we had the ball in the back half. Like you said,  bugger all movement besides some hand waving. One time someone even kicked it Cotchin while Wallis was standing there trying to dry root him. I don't even think he called for  the ball  :lol
I remember that. Another guy handballed to a bloke who didn't call for it. Caught him totally unexpected.

Offline tigs2011

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2014, 04:06:25 AM »
Agree, depth that might develop into something more. We have guys that are what they are.

Online WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2014, 08:38:34 AM »

Commentators don't actually pay much attention to our list or players outside of headline fodder Riewoldt & Martin- I mean they keep saying what success recycled players like Grigg & Houli have been. Do they actually watch our matches?

No they don't, they read the Stats and are seduced by them. They see that Grigg touches it 25+ times and decree he's had a good game. They see Houli launch a 50 metre bomb to someone running hard on the wing (rare I know but happens sometimes) and lauded his precision long kicking

That's what commentators do
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2014, 10:15:40 AM »
We were insipid against the bulldogs. We applied almost no pressure. We missed easy goals. We gave away easy goals. We allowed our forwardline to become crowded. We played from behind and were constantly second to the ball. Our tackling was poor. Thought Jackson was terrific. One of the few who stood up and applied pressure. Martin was good. One of the few who found targets. The Big O played well in the ruck. Hardwick was out coached again. The decision to play Martin in the backline was poor. Griffiths should have started the game. Jack has to be played as the full forward. Our delivery into the forwardline was slow and poor. Our lack of pressure on their mids was terrible. Edwards, Vickery Grigg and to a lesser extent Houli were very poor. King was average at best. Biggest concern was our lack of pace. Only bright note Gordon tried hard.

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #49 on: April 06, 2014, 11:45:21 AM »
How many times does griff led up to the HBF area, mark, only to kick sideways 10 meters.

To me this this seems like odd coaching. I assume the intention. Is to kick the ball short to the forward line similar to hawthorn.

It just seems so frustrating when you have a guy capable of kicking over the zone instructed to do stupid dinky sideways kicks at ten percent of his maximum

Frustration to see a weapon being non used
« Last Edit: April 06, 2014, 02:24:39 PM by Judge Roughneck »

tony_montana

« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2014, 12:24:54 PM »

Commentators don't actually pay much attention to our list or players outside of headline fodder Riewoldt & Martin- I mean they keep saying what success recycled players like Grigg & Houli have been. Do they actually watch our matches?

No they don't, they read the Stats and are seduced by them. They see that Grigg touches it 25+ times and decree he's had a good game. They see Houli launch a 50 metre bomb to someone running hard on the wing (rare I know but happens sometimes) and lauded his precision long kicking

That's what commentators do

Yeah they latch on to an early isolated incident and just harp on and on about it ad nauseum for the rest of the game. If a good young player does something well early, then everything he does from that point onwards is golden. Very frustrated at the lack of insight from commentators

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #51 on: April 06, 2014, 12:29:11 PM »
What ever tactics or game plans there are, don't mean jack, the players are just pathetic at their disposals. Fix that, then we'll see where any, if any, plans actually do exist, and if they actually do work.
Start dropping players that continually turn the ball over and/or players that continually miss targets, it's a friggin disgrace and stuffing embarrassing.

And especially players that just STAND AND WATCH :banghead

That is our game plan. Stand in space and hold a zone...
Go Tigers!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #52 on: April 06, 2014, 12:52:12 PM »
On the way to the train station heading to the game I was listening to Alastair Clarkson on MMM. They were trying to give him credit for blokes like Hill, Langford, Ceglar etc who have been in their system for a while and can come in and play their role in absence of first choice guns but he said their senior players are actually in fact an extension of their coaching group and should get the credit. He said it's guys like Hodge and Mitchell who know everything there is to know about their game take charge at training and then take it on to the field. When they're under the pump it is then not up to Clarkson in the box to relay the orders, rather those leaders who are very much coaches manage to get the game back under control themselves. I imagine it's the same thing at Geelong.

We don't have anything of the sort at Richmond. Past regimes rooted the club and the squad so bad we don't have anyone. It's the only reason I can even try and grasp at why Newman can still get a game but he's more harm than help these days. We still rely on Dimma having to leave the box to order the players from the bench (late final quarter vs Blues) and telling the players at half time to pull their fingers out and actually play  the way they've been instructed to play (second half vs Bulldogs).

Us and the other poo clubs should have 4 or 5 of these gun kids running around for the expansion teams each which doesn't help the cause. I don't blame the club or the coaches. Something stinks in our playing group and I can't put my finger on it. Any time we're expected to win they go into cruise control. Then they come out and have a dip against good sides (at least for 3 quarters) because they know they don't have a hope in hell otherwise.

Agree with this but it comes down to the leaders of the club being on the same page as the coaching staff.

The players have shifted roles this year, how can we expect the players to be perfectly well drilled in round 1-3 when Dimma and his staff have reshifted player roles?

With the treatment of Riewoldt over the break, I don't blame the leadership at Richmond being poo.
Go Tigers!

Offline TigerLand

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • I <3 Mrs Hardwick
« Reply #53 on: April 06, 2014, 12:55:28 PM »
Tigs2011, you've pretty much nailed that Top 10.

The Footy department have made many mistakes over the last few years. The best clubs make few mistakes.

The Batchelor one really annoys me. He should have been an Andrew Mackie type yet we bulk him up to be a small KPB and now he has no clear assets to his game.

Griffiths is miles better than Vickery.
Go Tigers!

tony_montana

« Reply #54 on: April 06, 2014, 01:30:52 PM »
Couldn't agree more with the last page - some absolute quality there - why is it that our coaching staff don't see it that way?

Why are they so damn fixated on the blokes that are either:

cooked
Poot themselves under pressure or
just ordinary kicks of the ball

Like was mentioned you simply cannot get away with having so many of them in the side.

Offline The Big Richo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Keyboard Hero
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2014, 10:39:28 PM »
May as well just ride it out, let Hardwick do his three years, bottom out and spend no cash so the coffers are full and we have draft picks.

Gold Coast and GWS will dominate anyway so just build a war chest for after that.

Get a proven coach in and after a 5 year rebuild we will be ready.
Who isn't a fan of the thinking man's orange Tim Fleming?

Gerks 27/6/11

But you see, it's not me, it's not my family.
In your head, in your head they are fighting,
With their tanks and their bombs,
And their bombs and their guns.
In your head, in your head, they are crying...

Offline Judge Roughneck

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Sir
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2014, 10:42:45 PM »
Five years

deledio 31 Riewoldt 30 ...

Offline (•))(©™

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Dimalaka
« Reply #57 on: April 06, 2014, 10:51:27 PM »
It's a 40 year plan, FFS !

Genius.
Caracella and Balmey.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #58 on: April 06, 2014, 10:56:09 PM »
The club that keeps giving.

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #59 on: April 07, 2014, 02:48:06 PM »
The players are making basic errors in judgement & kicking. You cant blame this on the coach