Author Topic: Rance the best of all time? Read Leppa's view (afl site)  (Read 1147 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Rance the best of all time? Read Leppa's view (afl site)
« on: December 05, 2017, 12:54:58 PM »
Rance the best of all time? Read Leppa's view

afl.com.au
5 November 2017

RICHMOND premiership hero Alex Rance is "in the conversation" for the best full-back of all time and still has three or four years left to further enhance his status, Tigers assistant coach Justin Leppitsch says.

Rance's back-half dominance has resulted in four successive All Australian selections, including the captaincy honour this year.

The 28-year-old has finished in the top two in Richmond's best and fairest in each of the past three seasons, winning the award in 2015.

The supremely athletic 175-gamer was one of the best players afield in the Tigers' drought-breaking Grand Final win over Adelaide this year.

Leppitsch's opinion of Rance carries significant weight given he was a star key defender himself, playing a key role in the Brisbane Lions' 2001-03 premierships.

His admiration for Rance is shared by Carlton legend Stephen Silvagni, who was selected at full-back in the AFL Team of the Century in 1996 ahead of Collingwood's 'Prince of Full-backs' Jack Regan, Carlton's Geoff Southby, North Melbourne's David Dench and Hawthorn's Kelvin Moore.

In more recent times, Geelong's Matthew Scarlett and Essendon's Dustin Fletcher have also been standouts.

"He's in that conversation, isn't he?" Leppitsch told Melbourne radio station SEN on Tuesday morning.

"It's always dangerous to compare … you're sort of comparing with a fine-tooth comb once you get to that level, and I think he's at that level.

"He's a four-time All Australian and he plays the modern game as well as anyone.

"You can only really play to your era and what your era provides, and in my era we didn't press up and down the field as much as they do nowadays, you sat back a bit more, whereas 'Rancey' has got that run to get up and back, which is a bit different to the (full-backs) of the past.

"Amongst his peers in this era he's definitely the best (full-back), no doubt, and he's in the conversation for the best of all time.

"He's an unbelievable, committed player.

"The beauty is he's still got three or four good years in front of him. That's the exciting part for Alex."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-12-05/rance-the-best-of-all-time-leppas-view

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Rance the best of all time? Read Leppa's view (afl site)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 01:18:46 PM »
I really hope Alex plays on for 4-5 more years and gets the most out of footy he can.  He has the rest of his life for his religious endeavors and you are a long time retired. 

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 10:05:56 AM »
Rance among the best but ex-Cat still my pick: Jakovich

By Justin Talent
SEN
6 December 2017

Dual West Coast premiership defender Glen Jakovich says that while Richmond star Alex Rance is in the conversation for the best backman of all time, a former Geelong defender still has him covered.

Jakovich says he would still pick three-time premiership winner Matthew Scarlett if he had to make a choice between the two, believing his versatility slightly gives him the edge over the 2017 premiership player.

“He (Scarlett) could play on a small. Alex is a very big boy, he’s massive, he’s a tank, whereas Matty Scarlett probably gives you a bit more flexibility where he could go on a mid-size or he could play on a Buddy Franklin and hold his own,” the former Eagle told SEN’s The Run Home.

“He was a very intelligent player, very strong and very attacking. He initiated a very good contest.”

Despite this, Jakovich has faith that the 28-year-old Rance can ascend even further in the latter years of his career and make an even greater claim to the title of best ever, which three-time Brisbane premiership winner and Tigers assistant Justin Leppitsch believes he is already nearing.

“He’s certainly getting there, no doubting that,” said Jakovich.

“He’s become an even better player in a much better side now they have experienced greatness.

“When you look at Justin Leppitsch, he became a better player in a great side. You exert more responsibility, more leadership, you play big pressure moments and more finals and you elevate your own skillsets.

“His finals series was epic and he was in the discussion for a Norm Smith on Grand Final day so he’s got better as the team’s got better.

“When I watch Alex now, I think he has a great respect and appreciation for the game. He wants to get better…he looks like a true footballer.”

Jakovich also added an extra name into the discussion for the greatest defender to have ever played, believing ex-Eagles teammate Guy McKenna deserves to be in the conversation.

“He was clinical at pulling the trigger at the right time,” he said.

“Bluey could play on talls, mediums and smalls. He was quick, he was smart. If he got 20 possessions off the half-back line, he didn’t spray any of them. Very good by hand and a great team player.

“As a defender, he knew the right time to attack and to defend. He would be able to strip his direct opponent’s ball, hit the ground and his recovery was one of the best I’ve seen.”

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/12/05/rance-among-the-best-but-ex-cat-still-my-pick-jakovich/

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 02:53:19 AM »
Interesting that he claims Rance can't play on smalls. Swear Rance gave Betts a bath once upon a time