Author Topic: Richmond AFLW team [merged]  (Read 193025 times)

Offline Rampsation

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
Re: Richmond to have AFLW team in 2020 [merged]
« Reply #135 on: May 02, 2019, 03:09:55 PM »
Are you saying we need a rebuild before we have even started Ramps?

Im someone who would have preferred for AFL footy to not have womems teams, but we have it and there is going to be a team representing us with our name and colors. That being the case as a long term Gold member I feel that the club having made thus decision has a responsibility to have acsuccessful ream and not one which tarnishes our history. I think our first foray into the world of AFL womens recruiting has bern poor. Not because they didnt get some good players but simply because we didnt get enough. We needed to get 12players minimum but we stopped at 8 or something. We will probably be cellar dwellers now and from my end that hurts the Richmond brand and for me that is totally unacceptable.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #136 on: May 06, 2019, 08:54:53 PM »
‘Downright disgusting: The abusive comments I face daily’

Sabrina Frederick
(Richmond AFLW footballer)
Herald-Sun
6 April 2019

‘Go play a women’s sport if you can’t handle the attention.’

‘You wanted equal rights sweetheart don’t cry when it’s too even.’

‘Sorry girls, men do it better.’

These are just some of the belittling, misogynist and downright disgusting social media comments that sportswomen face daily.

And as a female footy player, migrant, and woman of colour in a same sex relationship, I have copped quite a bit of nasty abuse online — and nothing in the snippets above are out of the ordinary.

According to new research released by Plan International, 23 per cent of all negative comments towards sportswomen were sexist in nature, while 20 per cent demeaned women’s athletic abilities and skills. I’d love to say that I was surprised by those findings, but unfortunately, online abuse directed at female athletes has become par for the course.

I was just 19 years old when I was first drafted to the Brisbane Lions for the inaugural AFLW season.

Fresh faced, optimistic and with a new-found platform, I was excited that someone who looks like me could share positive messages on social media with other aspiring young female players.

I was excited that young girls from all cultural backgrounds would continue to see themselves reflected in the AFL dream and I felt and continue to feel, incredibly privileged to be doing my bit.

For the most part, I enjoy engaging with my fans on social media — sharing the highs and lows of my life and career, and inspiring others to follow their dreams.

What I wasn’t prepared for was the disgusting underbelly of the social media world — the one where keyboard warriors who don’t know you, choose to post the most horrifically vile stuff without fear of consequence, and often with the comfort of anonymity.

In the beginning, I would monitor each post and read every single negative comment about me. I would spend hours scrolling and then contemplating on whether or not I should respond.

When a troll would come to my account and comment that women were ‘useless athletes’ on one of my images, or that we were ‘too fat and slow’, or that we should ‘get back in the kitchen’ — it hurt. All I ever tried to be was the best version of myself. To be ripped to shreds by complete strangers certainly felt disempowering.

Although the internet has permitted online trolls to multiply hateful, sexist and uninformed information, it can also be a powerful tool for good.

After Tayla Harris copped a barrage of sexualised and misogynist abuse on a photo of her doing her job, she also received an overwhelming amount of support from fans, teammates and the broader online community. Not only did Tayla’s image go viral, it has become a symbol of change. It is bigger than Tayla and bigger than the sport itself.

While the moment is still fresh, together we need to channel our outrage and work to address what is driving these negative attitudes and behaviours.

What we know from the research is that all women can be the target of abuse and it is not always confined to the internet. Regardless of where it happens, these disrespectful attitudes and behaviours don’t occur in a vacuum.

They’re perpetuated by a culture that allows gender inequality and harmful gender stereotypes to continue, which means we all play a role in cutting it off at the source.

As an ambassador for national youth campaign, The Line, I want to encourage young people to be true to themselves and not be deterred from chasing their dreams.

Yes, there is still a long way to go but it’s definitely something to keep striving for.

Sabrina Fredrick plays for Richmond in the AFLW and is an ambassador for The Line.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/rendezview/downright-disgusting-the-comments-i-face-daily/news-story/61579883bf54220a998b3417793bcde0

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #137 on: May 15, 2019, 04:35:02 PM »
Richmond’s joint major partner, nib health funds (nib), has strengthened its ties with the Club by expanding their partnership to support the Club’s inaugural AFLW team and the Richmond Women’s Football Program.

In line with Richmond’s AFL jumper, nib’s logo will appear on the back of the Tigers’ historic inaugural AFLW guernsey in 2020. nib will also partner with the Club to deliver a digital content strategy to promote the Club’s entry into the AFLW.

Read more at: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-05-15/nib-aflw-announcement

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #138 on: May 16, 2019, 03:18:22 PM »

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #139 on: May 19, 2019, 02:39:56 PM »
Brennan speaking at President's function. Very easy on the eye....

Sorry mods.  :shh
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #140 on: May 23, 2019, 05:09:12 AM »
Tayla Stahl completes meteoric rise with AFLW contract

Tate Spiteri,
richmondfc.com.au
May 22, 2019

Just one game for premiership points ago, Tayla Stahl was playing for Bass Coast in Division Two of the South Eastern Women’s Football League.

Now, she is a Richmond AFLW listed player.

Stahl’s stunning rise to become the Tigers’ 10th AFLW signing is a result of a goal kicking run that includes 67 majors from just 15 games.

Put simply, her form has been too good to ignore.

Stahl, 24, was recruited to the Club’s VFLW program after a year of footy that brought with it; a premiership, league goal kicking award and the SEWFL Division 2 league best and fairest.

She then started 2019 with six goals on VFLW debut in the Tigers’ Round 1 win over Darebin.

The Richmond AFLW list managers had seen enough.

Quick, clean and evasive, Stahl was a latecomer to the game, having crossed over from netball where she had previously been a member of the Victorian under 18s team.

Read more at: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/2019-05-22/tayla-stahl-completes-meteoric-rise-with-aflw-contract

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #141 on: May 23, 2019, 05:11:45 AM »
Bank robbery to AFLW Tiger: Stahl’s incredible story

LAUREN WOOD,
Herald Sun
23 May 2019

Richmond has signed a bank robbery getaway driver to its AFL Women’s foundation list.

Tayla Stahl says taking part in the heist is the greatest regret of her young life and credits football with helping turn things around.

At 3.30pm on February 7, 2014, Stahl and former friend — fellow ex-soldier Sarah Royna — executed their plot to rob the Australian Defence Credit Union at the Richmond Royal Australian Air Force military air base.

Stahl was tasked with driving the getaway car, while Royna donned a balaclava and armed herself with a fake pistol, and despite plans to nab “hundreds of thousands” fled with $2685.

The base was put into lockdown and they were caught, with Stahl — who spent a week in remand — hit with a two-year suspended sentence which remains over her, while Royna remains behind bars after she plead guilty to armed robbery.

She owns her mistake.

“I can’t blame anyone else — I made the decision to do it,” Stahl told the Herald Sun this week.

“I could have said no, but I didn’t. I can’t blame the other person. It’s my fault. If I didn’t want to do it, I shouldn’t have, so it’s on me. And no one else.”

Royna was also found guilty of a separate plot to rob an RSL.

The pair had developed the hold-up plan via text messages that were tendered to court, with Stahl — an Inverloch local who had joined the defence force just out of school to “keep fit and get out of the small town … and meet people” conceding she had fallen into a situation she shouldn’t have.

“I was 19, young, just liked to go out and have fun,” she said.

“I just obviously made friends with certain people and shouldn’t have made friends with those people and I got myself involved with things I shouldn’t have.

“(The bank) was on-base … it was literally 500m away from our accommodation. I drove her there, she went in and then yeah, got back to the car and drove back.

“I wasn’t the person that actually went into the bank.

“The defence (force) put charges against us to start off with and then that went on for a while. They ended up getting sent on to AFP … they took it on.”

Stahl has nothing to do with Royna now — doesn’t even say her name.

The incident spiralled the then-teenager into harmful habits that made her realise she had to take control of her life.

As the Australian Federal Police built their case and questioned Stahl, she “wasn’t dealing with it very well”.

“I was drinking a lot, and going out and was drinking one night I was in the middle of the city and stepped in front of a car and got run over,” she explained.

“I spent three months in hospital. That was a turning point — it had to be a turning point.

“It took me over a year of rehab — everything, internal injuries, a head injury … I was told I would never play footy again.”

Arrested for her role in the robbery soon after, Stahl spent a week behind bars before moving to Newcastle with her sister for 12 months as she prepared to face the music.

“I still wasn’t really well and wasn’t mentally right at all,” she said.

“I stayed for a year — it wasn’t fair on her, or myself, being there.”

D-Day came in May last year, when Stahl copped her two-year suspended sentence.

She had moved back home and focused on her football, starring for Bass Coast and finding herself on the Tigers’ radar to now become the club’s 10th AFLW signing, penning a one-year deal.

Richmond football boss Neil Balme said there had been a lot to consider for the Tigers in taking Stahl on.

It would have been easy to say no.

But her honesty and determination was to be reckoned with.

“We spoke to the VFL and all that sort of stuff and it wasn’t a problem,” he said.

“We had to think about it. We kept her training … she was very open about it and said ‘I’m keen to make up for it’.

“It’s a great story. There was no thought of us not giving her the opportunity. There’s no thought of saying ‘this is all too hard’, because it’s all in the past and she’s keen to do something.”

Stahl is back working full-time, and booted six goals in Richmond’s VFLW season-opener against Darebin, after earlier fronting the playing group in tears to tell her story.

She is determined not to let her opportunity at AFL Women’s slip.

“I never thought I’d actually get here, that’s for sure,” Stahl said.

“If you’d asked my family or friends a couple of years ago … (they’d say) that I’d rather go drink or do something else than commit to this full-time and put in the work.

“100 per cent (I’m ready). I just want to prove so many people wrong.”

Tayla Stayl is putting her past behind her. Picture: Michael Klein

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/aflw/richmond-signs-bank-robbery-getaway-driver-to-its-2020-aflw-foundation-list/news-story/0459a75e6b8295da7281f6791a3c6271

Offline Owl

• Magnificent Bastard
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Bring me TWO chickens
« Reply #142 on: May 23, 2019, 09:28:07 AM »
good evasive skills...cept that one time
Lots of people name their swords......

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #143 on: May 24, 2019, 12:32:37 AM »
:lol
My mate Rob tells me shes that good she’ll be considered a steal  :rollin
The club that keeps giving.

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #144 on: May 24, 2019, 07:21:15 AM »

Daylight robbery perhaps?
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline MintOnLamb

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • You have to think anyway, so why not think big? DT
« Reply #145 on: May 24, 2019, 08:35:31 AM »

Daylight robbery perhaps?
Are you guys morons? This is a great story and here you are making stupid comments.

You probably think it is harmless, but just think about it before you bring up someone's past.

This whole thread starts with keyboard warriers and hurtful comments.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 10:31:54 AM by MintOnLamb »

Offline Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #146 on: May 24, 2019, 02:14:03 PM »
No-one here brought up her past, she did when she  told the media...... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline Assange Tiger 😎

• Bong Lord
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Leader Of AT's Outsiders
« Reply #147 on: May 24, 2019, 02:55:48 PM »
People trying to rob her of this moment are annoying me as well, Mint.
I work in Africa and they were taking the pee out of me for saving Africa.......
"Living the dream ,not as a slave to the system. If that makes me a tosser, then I'm a proud tosser... I have plenty of time to toss"

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #148 on: May 24, 2019, 03:02:17 PM »
She'd be crook on many here writing about her like that!
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Online Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #149 on: May 24, 2019, 04:56:26 PM »
 :lol :rollin
The club that keeps giving.