Author Topic: Richmond AFLW team [merged]  (Read 192973 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Richmond AFLW team [merged]
« Reply #645 on: February 20, 2021, 06:59:24 PM »
Tigers find fight but are denied again as Blues storm to win

By Sarah Burt
The Age
February 20, 2021 — 6.17pm

CARLTON     0.2 4.2 7.3 8.3 (51)
RICHMOND  3.0 4.1 5.1 7.4 (46)

GOALS:
Carlton: Prespakis (2), McEvoy, Harris, Vescio (3), Stevens
Richmond: Stahl (2), Wakefield (3), Brennan (2)

BEST:
Carlton: Prespakis, Vescio, Harris, Egan, J. Hosking, Moodie, Downie
Richmond: Wakefield, Brennan, Seymour, Frederick, Brancatisano, Stahl

CROWD: 2212

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Richmond have suffered their 10th straight loss and remain winless in the AFLW following a five-point defeat to Carlton at Ikon Park on Saturday afternoon.

After a 34-point loss to the Blues in last season’s opener, the Tigers, in their second clash against Carlton, needed to show how far they have come since their inaugural AFLW game.

Following a dominant performance against the Saints last week, the Blues, who ran out in orange socks, to signify the club’s commitment to gender equality for the prevention of violence against women, weren’t going to give the visitors their first win.

Having made just one change to their line-up, naming defender Jess Edwards in place of skipper Katie Loynes, the Blues were rendered goalless in the first term, Courtney Wakefield booting two of Richmond’s three goals. The Blues’ usual fast play was nowhere to be seen initially, which looked to continue into the second with veteran Katie Brennan booting one straight from the siren.

Reigning league best and fairest winner Madison Prespakis ascended, slotting two for the Blues, fellow Carlton young gun Lucy McEvoy and Tayla Harris added to the tally, leaving the locals one up at half-time.

When the going gets tough, Darcy Vescio gets going and with a spectacular hanger and three goals in the third, Carlton’s two-time leading goal kicker handed them a 14-point lead at the final break.

Richmond’s Tayla Stahl and Wakefield booted their second and third goals, respectively, leading to an arm wrestle in the dying moments, but Nicola Stevens wouldn’t allow it on her home turf and added one for the ladies in blue, leaving the Tigers licking their wounds and dreaming of an elusive victory.

25 FOR CONTI
Richmond star Monique Conti marked her 25th AFLW game with a clinical midfield performance and 26 disposals.

The 21-year-old AFLW All-Australian is a premiership player, in which she was named best on ground. The former Bulldog also has a best and fairest award to her name from each of her AFLW clubs.

SIBLING RIVALRY
Jess Hosking earned her sibling bragging rights after lining up against identical twin, Sarah for the first time in their AFLW careers. Jess was named at half-forward and tallied 19 disposals while Sarah racked up 15 against her former side.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/winless-tigers-find-fight-but-are-denied-again-as-blues-storm-to-win-20210220-p574b6.html

Online Tiger Khosh

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #646 on: February 20, 2021, 06:59:34 PM »
I’ve go to say the girls did an awesome job today.

Excellent game by nearly every girl in the field.
It was a sensational game.

To say the umpires were against us is to be a little biased as we were given more frees today and some  easy one too.

Monique Conti is a star. Brennan’s best game in Yellow and black. Hosking was very good. Monahan was back to her best form. Seymour continues to impress. I’d say it was the best four quarter performance to date that I’ve seen.

So many positives today.  :clapping

Negatives:
- we lost.
- Fredricks  :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead
She reminds me of Sideshowbob Vickery. She is very very frustrating and absolutely useless around the ground and has no presence no fight no second effort no footy brain.

I don’t fully follow AFLW but wasn’t fredericks a marquee signing from the lions? How was she when she played for them because I was under the impression without seeing her play that she was a star.

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #647 on: February 21, 2021, 09:10:04 AM »
I’ve go to say the girls did an awesome job today.

Excellent game by nearly every girl in the field.
It was a sensational game.

To say the umpires were against us is to be a little biased as we were given more frees today and some  easy one too.

Monique Conti is a star. Brennan’s best game in Yellow and black. Hosking was very good. Monahan was back to her best form. Seymour continues to impress. I’d say it was the best four quarter performance to date that I’ve seen.

So many positives today.  :clapping

Negatives:
- we lost.
- Fredricks  :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead :banghead
She reminds me of Sideshowbob Vickery. She is very very frustrating and absolutely useless around the ground and has no presence no fight no second effort no footy brain.

I don’t fully follow AFLW but wasn’t fredericks a marquee signing from the lions? How was she when she played for them because I was under the impression without seeing her play that she was a star.
Not qualified to answer that question because I didn’t really watch the games back then besides a few quarters of games here and there and the grand final.
What stood out was that there were many many girls playing that were fat, unskilled and didn’t know how to play footy.
The standard now is miles and miles ahead of the limited amount I saw in those early years. Girls are much much fitter, they understand the game and the skills are much better.
The elite girls stand out ie Conti because they know how to play footy.

Fredricks must of been dominating in the early years because she most probably wasn’t as slow and had more skill than most other girls that were playing at the time.  But now that so many girls are playing footy from junior clubs all the way through to seniors, the standard has grown exponentially.
Our club took her probably because she dominated when the competition was slow and mostly unskilled. Now that she is one of left overs from those early years she just looks grossly slow and highly unskilled.
I might be wrong but that’s my take on it anyway.
The club that keeps giving.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #648 on: February 21, 2021, 10:34:34 AM »

I've been following the AFLW since season 1.....so in answer to your question TK.....

Yes she was and she was an absolute gun player

Best contested mark on the competition, great kick for goal. She could nail them from 40-45 metres easily. For her size she was great below her knees. 

There has been some talk about her fitness on here. Size wise she hasn't changed much since season 1. I do wonder how much impact the calf injury last year has had. Reason being is because below the knees her work has dropped off markedly

The only thing I've really noticed since her days at Brissie is that she isn't crashing packs like she was in seasons 1-3. Not sure why as it makes zero sense to me. Massive weapon not being utilised

Tigeritis, I understand your points but can I say that in the early seaons Sabrina was at her best against the better teams. Her very best games were against the Adelaides, Bulldogs and Demons. Brisbane was an exceptionally talented side. Maybe that had something to do with it too.

I reckon yesterday's game showed something that is true across the comp and that is when a sides top liners drop off, all teams struggle. It happened with the Blues yesterday. Some of their top talent went MIA in places and they struggled. Biggest difference is Blues have a lot more top liners than we currently do

"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #649 on: February 21, 2021, 12:39:27 PM »

I've been following the AFLW since season 1.....so in answer to your question TK.....

Yes she was and she was an absolute gun player

Best contested mark on the competition, great kick for goal. She could nail them from 40-45 metres easily. For her size she was great below her knees. 

There has been some talk about her fitness on here. Size wise she hasn't changed much since season 1. I do wonder how much impact the calf injury last year has had. Reason being is because below the knees her work has dropped off markedly

The only thing I've really noticed since her days at Brissie is that she isn't crashing packs like she was in seasons 1-3. Not sure why as it makes zero sense to me. Massive weapon not being utilised

Tigeritis, I understand your points but can I say that in the early seaons Sabrina was at her best against the better teams. Her very best games were against the Adelaides, Bulldogs and Demons. Brisbane was an exceptionally talented side. Maybe that had something to do with it too.

I reckon yesterday's game showed something that is true across the comp and that is when a sides top liners drop off, all teams struggle. It happened with the Blues yesterday. Some of their top talent went MIA in places and they struggled. Biggest difference is Blues have a lot more top liners than we currently do

Interesting summation. I’d like to know your definition of the so called “top liners”

Unlike Fredricks, Gabrielle Seymour has not come from a footy club as a junior but comparatively these two are miles apart in application and impact. 

I wasn’t joking in my comparison to Sideshow Bob Vickery. Fredricks has seemingly no clue where she is to position on the ground and can’t even position herself correctly against her opponent in a contest nor does she impose herself utilising her size and her (if she has it) strength.
She’s just way too slow in both her application onfield and her decision making and skill or lack thereof.
Then out of the blue (like Sideshow) she will take a big grab only to ruin it by complete uselessness in all other facets of the game.

So in your opinion, is Fredricks a top liner?

Is there any chance that she was better because the “talent” playing against her in those early years weren’t much chop compared to fitter skillful young defenders playing currently making her look as bad as she does?
The club that keeps giving.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #650 on: February 21, 2021, 07:14:48 PM »
We've next got the Cats in Geelong on Friday night.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

The full fixture for round five of the NAB AFL Women's competition:

Friday, February 26
Geelong v Richmond at GMHBA Stadium, 7.10pm AEDT

Saturday, February 27
Western Bulldogs v GWS Giants at VU Whitten Oval, 3:10pm AEDT
Fremantle v Brisbane at Fremantle Oval, 2.10pm AWST
North Melbourne v Carlton at UTAS Stadium, 7.10pm AEDT

Sunday, February 28
Adelaide v St. Kilda at Norwood Oval, 12:40pm ACDT
Collingwood v Melbourne at Victoria Park, 3:10pm AEDT
West Coast v Gold Coast at Mineral Resources Park, 2:10pm AWST

https://womens.afl/news/62252/r5-fixture-flag-fancies-face-off-in-indigenous-round

Offline mightytiges

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Eat 'Em Alive!
    • oneeyed-richmond.com
« Reply #651 on: February 21, 2021, 08:16:49 PM »
Okay our first chance to crack a win until a fellow winless side. The Cats haven't kicked more than 3 goals in a game and just 7 goals across their opening 4 matches. A shame it's in Geelong. We will still need to bring the same effort as yesterday to win.  Always a potential trap for struggling sides to drop off against fellow poorer teams after a promising effort the week before.
All you touch and all you see is all your life will ever be - Pink Floyd

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #652 on: February 22, 2021, 03:42:21 AM »
Eyecatchers: Who was your club's unheralded star in R4?

Richmond - Maddy Brancatisano

The lively small forward was a menace in attack throughout the contest, with her pressure on ground level and ball-winning abilities when she pushed through the midfield crucial in helping Richmond gain an early advantage. Brancatisano's impact didn't fade as the match wore on and as Carlton gained the momentum, with the youngster finishing with 17 disposals and four marks for the afternoon. She is certainly one to watch for the Tigers. - Riley Beveridge

https://womens.afl/news/61502/eyecatchers-who-was-your-club-s-unheralded-star-in-r4-

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #653 on: February 22, 2021, 05:11:16 PM »

Interesting summation. I’d like to know your definition of the so called “top liners”

Unlike Fredricks, Gabrielle Seymour has not come from a footy club as a junior but comparatively these two are miles apart in application and impact. 

I wasn’t joking in my comparison to Sideshow Bob Vickery. Fredricks has seemingly no clue where she is to position on the ground and can’t even position herself correctly against her opponent in a contest nor does she impose herself utilising her size and her (if she has it) strength.
She’s just way too slow in both her application onfield and her decision making and skill or lack thereof.
Then out of the blue (like Sideshow) she will take a big grab only to ruin it by complete uselessness in all other facets of the game.

So in your opinion, is Fredricks a top liner?

Is there any chance that she was better because the “talent” playing against her in those early years weren’t much chop compared to fitter skillful young defenders playing currently making her look as bad as she does?

I think you've taken my final paragraph as part of my comments around Fredricks. It was solely an observation of Saturday's game

But seeing you asked about our "top liners" I will giver my opinion

Based on current form, NO Fredericks is not a top liner at our Club. I was all in favour of being recruited as she was as I said a gun in the first few seasons of the AFLW.... but her form this season in particular is extremely poor. I cut her some slack about last season as she carried an injury through the entire season

I see our top liners as (in no order):

Mon Conti
Katie Brennan
Sarah Hosking
Phoebe Monahan (though she's been struggling this season)
Ellie MacKenzie ( I know only 3 games but she is miles ahead of so many others)
Courtney Wakefield (still scratching my head as to why she spent the last 4 minutes of the game on the bench  :banghead)
Harriet Cordner

Normally I'd include Christina Bernardi too but she is horribly out of form which is stating the obvious seeing she got dropped the other week

Big Improvers:
Gabi Seymour
Bec Miller

Just my take
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #654 on: February 22, 2021, 05:59:08 PM »
Monahan has been found out this year.  Too slow, doesn't have the skills for a flanker and not tall enough for key position.  Will be on the scrap heap along with Fredericks at the end of the year.  I wouldn't be surprised to see one or both of these girls dropped for Friday night.

Bresciano also a big improver.  Dempsey coming in has also added a bit of spark.  Anyone know how Campbell is going at North?

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #655 on: February 22, 2021, 06:59:47 PM »
Did the fatty no.4 from the scum get suspended for smashing Hosking?

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #656 on: February 22, 2021, 07:14:59 PM »
Madison Prespakis’ hopes of a second straight AFLW best and fairest award could be over, with the Carlton star offered a one-game ban for an incident against Richmond.

The AFLW Match Review on Monday confirmed Prespakis, who’s among the competition’s top 10 players for average disposals and contested possessions, had been offered a one-game ban for a dangerous tackle on Tiger Sarah Hosking during the Blues’ thrilling win at Ikon Park on Saturday.

Prespakis’ tackle, which came at the start of the second quarter, was assessed as careless conduct, medium impact and high contact.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/womens-afl/aflw-news-2021-madison-prespakis-dangerous-tackle-video-suspension-ban-tribunal/news-story/b6505446a5f7a8e8730ea7fdf5588026

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #657 on: February 22, 2021, 07:17:05 PM »
Coaches votes for Round 4:

Carlton v Richmond

10 Monique Conti (RICH)
7 Darcy Vescio (CARL)
4 Kerryn Harrington (CARL)
3 Madison Prespakis (CARL)
3 Katie Brennan (RICH)
2 Rebecca Miller (RICH)
1 Courtney Wakefield (RICH)

https://womens.afl/news/62868/aflca-votes-r4-freo-tackle-machine-edges-clear-pies-star-on-move

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #658 on: February 25, 2021, 03:27:00 AM »
AFL dream now reality for Opals guard Lavey

Opals point guard Tessa Lavey has revealed how the sudden death of her brother motivated her to achieve a lifelong dream to become a dual-sport athlete and play Aussie Rules football with the Richmond Tigers - during the latest episode of SBS series - TAB Courtside 1v1.

By Nick Houghton
SBS
25 FEB 2021

WATCH TAB Courtside 1v1 on SBS - episode 8 - with Megan Hustwaite and Tessa Lavey from 7pm (AEDT) on Thursday February 25 via SBS Sport Twitter, or catch up via SBS On Demand.

The 27-year-old Rio Olympian, WNBL championship winner and lifetime Richmond Tigers fan made the bold decision to trade the hardwood for the footy field this season after making the move to Tigerland for the AFLW season.

Fresh from captaining the Bendigo Spirit in the WNBL hub season, Lavey was drafted with pick 43 by Richmond to start her burgeoning Aussie rules football career.

Lavey made her debut for the Tigers on February 14, completing an incredible journey she admits didn’t seem possible.

In the interview set to air on Thursday night’s episode of TAB Courtside 1v1 on SBS at 7pm (AEDT) via SBS Sport Twitter, Lavey revealed how reflection after the sudden passing of her brother drove her to step out of her comfort zone and achieve something she had only ever dreamt about.

“Running out for Richmond was so surreal. As a kid this opportunity was not available for women in sport so I thought this moment would never come,” Lavey said.

“My brother Tim was always my biggest supporter and always said I was capable of anything.

“Tim’s passing last year really made me wake up and realise that I can in fact do anything and gave me the confidence to give playing in the AFLW a crack.

Lavey said her brother wasn’t far from her thoughts as she finally broke through and made her AFLW debut with the club they had both supported all their lives.

“I really felt Tim’s presence out there. It was nice to be out there running around and thinking how much he and my family have believed in me,” she said.

“Juggling both footy and basketball will be a bit of a challenge but it is such a special opportunity to be a dual-sport athlete and one that I am very thankful for.

“If I fail, then I fail but I’m looking forward to testing myself in a new sport while also staying in the game of basketball which I still love.”

In the full interview with Hustwaite, Lavey reflects on the challenges of being a dual-sport athlete, Olympic aspirations and captaining Bendigo during the WNBL hub season.

https://www.sbs.com.au/topics/sport/article/2021/02/24/afl-dream-now-reality-opals-guard-lavey

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Richmond AFLW: team for round 5
« Reply #659 on: February 25, 2021, 05:56:57 PM »
Richmond has made one change with Akec Makur Chuot back for the Tigers after being omitted in round three, replacing Sarah Sansonenetti who has been left out.

The Tigers remain winless in their opening 10 AFLW matches with Friday night's trip down the highway presenting their best chance of ending the unwanted streak.

RICHMOND TEAM FOR ROUND 5

B: R.Miller 15 H.Cordner 23 
HB: S.D'Arcy 12 P.Monahan 2 I.Ross 21
C: H.Burchell 9 S.Hosking 7 T.Lavey 37
HF: C.Wakefield 8 E.McKenzie 22 K.Brennan - C 3
F: T.Stahl 24 S.Frederick 14
Foll: G.Seymour 28 K.Jacques 10 M.Conti 4
I/C: A.Makur Chuot 34 K.Dempsey 19 S.Dargan 17 S.Molan 1 M.Brancatisano 5 

Emerg: C.Bernardi 6 S.Sansonetti 18 

In: A.Makur Chuot
Out: S.Sansonetti (omitted)

https://womens.afl/news/63078/teams-father-daughter-cat-returns-tigers-swap-one