Author Topic: Richmond AFLW team [merged]  (Read 192917 times)

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
Re: Richmond AFLW team [merged]
« Reply #930 on: December 21, 2021, 12:53:34 PM »
This month, the AFL released what many invested in AFLW have long been calling for — a vision for the competition's future.

The imminent release of such a strategy will be critical to achieving the player pay goal, given the fact AFLW players are currently paid much less than women in other domestic sporting leagues.

From 2022 for example, Super Netballers will be paid an average salary of $74,000, with the best-paid netballers earning $91,500. Minimum salaries have also grown by 17 per cent to $43,000.

By comparison, this season of AFLW will see the league's top players on less than the netball minimum wage — with just two players per club earning the maximum amount of $37,155. The majority (16 per club) earn $20,239.

For Paul Marsh, CEO of the AFL Players' Association (AFLPA), further detail is therefore required on how the AFL plans to achieve the significant pay increase.

Of particular concern to the AFLPA is the vision's lack of detail on a pathway to full-time professionalism, with the ongoing burden of the players being part-timers taking a toll.

Read more: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-12-21/aflw-vision-aflpa-player-pay/100701404

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #931 on: December 26, 2021, 01:43:09 PM »
Season preview: Tigers set for more linear improvement

Sarah Black
womens.afl
26 December 2021

Club: Richmond

Coach: Ryan Ferguson

Captain: Katie Brennan

2021 best and fairest: Monique Conti

2021 in a nutshell: The 2021 season was one of marked improvement for Richmond. A series of frustrating losses was punctuated by a breakthrough win in round five, the first for new coach Ryan Ferguson and for the AFLW program itself, 1.5 seasons in. Finishing in 10th with three wins, the Tigers were the best performing of the expansion sides. Courtney Wakefield was a rock at full-forward, No.1 pick Ellie McKenzie showed her class and skipper Katie Brennan finally got some consistent footy under her belt. The addition of Harriet Cordner was key in settling the backline. In short, a much better season from the Tigers, but still some way off the top eight or so teams.

Full squad: Christina Bernardi, Maddy Brancatisano, Katie Brennan, Hannah Burchell, Monique Conti, Harriet Cordner, Sarah D'Arcy, Sarah Dargan, Kate Dempsey, Jess Hosking, Sarah Hosking, Ingrid Houtsma, Kodi Jacques, Poppy Kelly, Meagan Kiely, Tessa Lavey, Akec Makur Chuot, Laura McClelland, Ellie McKenzie, Hannah McLaren, Rebecca Miller, Sophie Molan, Stella Reid, Iilish Ross, Sarah Sansonetti, Gabby Seymour, Maddie Shevlin, Tayla Stahl, Courtney Wakefield, Emelia Yassir

Recruits: Jess Hosking, Poppy Kelly, Maddie Shevlin

Draftees: Ingrid Houtsma, Meagan Kiely, Stella Reid, Emelia Yassir, Akec Makur Chuot (re-listed)

Out: Sabrina Frederick (Collingwood), Emily Harley, Luka Lesosky-Hay, Akec Makur Chuot, Cleo Saxon-Jones, Holly Whitford, (delisted), Alice Edmonds (delisted, then Western Bulldogs), Phoebe Monahan (delisted, then Brisbane), Alana Woodward (delisted, then St Kilda)

2022 opponents: St Kilda (A), Melbourne (H), Fremantle (H), Gold Coast (A), Western Bulldogs (A), North Melbourne (H), West Coast (A), Geelong (H), Greater Western Sydney (A), Brisbane (H)

Circle it: The Western Bulldogs beat Richmond by 13 points in the final round of 2021, and as another building team on the rise, will be a good yardstick as to the Tigers' improvement. They meet at VU Whitten Oval in round five.

Player to watch: Recruit Poppy Kelly didn't get a heap of game-time at St Kilda, but is expected to be a regular at Richmond after the departure of Sabrina Frederick. She's tall, agile and strong overhead.

Best NAB AFLW Rising Star chance: Stella Reid

2022 prediction: The Tigers have been blessed with a relatively straightforward draw, facing fellow expansion clubs Gold Coast, St Kilda and West Coast, as well as fellow bottom-eight sides Geelong, GWS and the Bulldogs. Jess Hosking was an unexpected boon during the Trade Period, while draftees Reid, Emelia Yassir and Meagan Kiely should be able to play from round one. Star midfielder Monique Conti is completing her first full pre-season, taking a break from WNBL, while the team has had another year to settle into Ferguson's gameplan. If the Tigers' linear improvement continues, expect to see them in the top few sides of the bottom eight.

https://www.womens.afl/news/76845?_ga=2.204502681.809077298.1640484954-224749430.1603381344

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #932 on: December 27, 2021, 04:08:00 PM »
Ralphy reveals paramedic’s rough nights to make footy field

For Hannah Burchell, balancing a burgeoning professional football career with a 16-hour night shift because of work has never been easy, but if it means getting a kick then it’s worth it.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/aflw/aflw-news-and-stories-in-the-lead-up-to-the-new-womens-season/news-story/81ab53ca06d055203217aaec7a72a824

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #933 on: December 29, 2021, 01:15:39 PM »
Ralphy reveals paramedic’s rough nights to make footy field

For Hannah Burchell, balancing a burgeoning professional football career with a 16-hour night shift because of work has never been easy, but if it means getting a kick then it’s worth it.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/aflw/aflw-news-and-stories-in-the-lead-up-to-the-new-womens-season/news-story/81ab53ca06d055203217aaec7a72a824
Full article:

Tiger’s remarkable path to big time

Jon Ralph
HeraldSun
28 December 2021

It was during a game of Melbourne University “chicks footy” while chasing her second passion that Hannah Burchell realised a long-dormant dream might be in reach.

Studying paramedicine and living at St Mary’s College, Ocean Grove’s Burchell had long ago been forced out of football by under-14 level like so many girls before her.

Her dad was a doyen of the Ocean Grove Football Club but when she was “aged out” she moved on and decided her dream of becoming a paramedic would be her No.1 goal.

Five years later Burchell is about to enter her third year at Richmond after that single game reignited the flame.

The journey has taken her via Geelong’s VFLW and AFL teams to a club at Punt Rd Oval her family has supported for her whole life.

It is an extreme juggling act, with Burchell balancing a burgeoning professional football career with her work as a paramedic in Ocean Grove and Melbourne.

It means turning up at pre-season training the day after an all-night 16-hour shift, but Burchell is determined she won’t compromise either pursuit.

“Footy was always No.1 and dad was heavily involved at Ocean Grove Football Club as a life member and, like many of us, I had to pull the pin once we got to under-14s,” she said.

“So I stepped away and got into boundary umpiring. It wasn’t what I wanted to do but I still loved footy.

“I went to Australian Catholic Uni but lived on residence at Melbourne Uni and there was a girls’ footy team. They called it “chooty”. Chicks footy. So I gave it a go and I don’t want to say I dominated but I did better than I thought I would and thought, ‘This is quite fun’.

Burchell’s “chooty” performance led to a talent ID day at Geelong, where she progressed from the VFLW to representing the AFLW side in its first season before repeated quad tears saw her delisted.

“I played one game and I was delisted and devastated,” she said. “I reached out to Richmond the old-fashioned way. I grew up a mad Tiger and so I reached out to (footy boss) Kate Sheahan and fortunately signed as an AFLW player in their first team.”

Burchell, 26, has played 14 games across two seasons as a hard-running winger while learning to integrate her football life into her off-field employment.

“I get to live two dreams,” she said. “I think it gives me a greater perspective on things.

“You have that part of my life where you see some nasty and sad things, but it just gives you a greater appreciation of what you have, as clichéd as it sounds.

“It’s certainly tough but I love the challenge of it. I love having to think at 3am in the morning, helping people, seeing smiles on patients’ faces and the gratitude they have.

“It’s tough at times. I have been fortunate to have a part-time arrangement, which wasn’t an easy process, but I have had really good support around me and I can’t thank them enough for that.

“Working full-time and training and doing gym and tough sessions can be really tough.”

Burchell says sleep deprivation is the hardest challenge leading into training sessions or games.

“I do 14-hour night shifts that can turn into 16-hour night shifts,” she said. “So if you work Thursday night and then drive back from Ocean Grove to Melbourne and then get a few hours sleep and come to training early on Saturday.

“On paper it seems OK but in reality you miss a lot of sleep and meal times and you are fatigued because of work.

“That was a struggle, but I worked closely with the dietitian and performance coach and we adjusted things and managed it as we went.”

Now for Burchell comes what all athletes aspire to as soon as they make the grade – team success after 0-6 and 3-6 seasons.

“The initial novelty of the first and second seasons is done,” she said. “We are out there to win. Not that we weren’t in the first seasons. We are settled as a group, we have found our connection. We have a very solid coaching group in place and our whole core group feels very settled.”

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #934 on: December 29, 2021, 01:16:12 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #935 on: December 29, 2021, 01:42:31 PM »
MOCK TEAMS: Who's in your club's best 21 for round one?

Sarah Black
womens.afl
29 December 2021

RICHMOND

B: Bec Miller, Harriet Cordner

HB: Sarah D'Arcy, Jess Hosking, Tessa Lavey

C: Hannah Burchell, Sarah Hosking, Meagan Kiely

HF: Courtney Wakefield, Katie Brennan, Kodi Jacques

F: Tayla Stahl, Stella Reid

Foll: Gabby Seymour, Ellie McKenzie, Monique Conti

I/C: Sarah Sansonetti, Kate Dempsey, Poppy Kelly, Sophie Molan, Maddy Brancatisano

A difficult 21 to select due to a number of nagging injuries that could affect round one selection. Stella Reid looks set to take the forward role vacated by Sabrina Frederick, while Poppy Kelly will cover Frederick's ruck duties. If Jess Hosking's shoulder has recovered in time, she'll slot into the backline following the delisting of Phoebe Monahan. Meagan Kiely starred in the practice match, adding some much-needed midfield depth. Christina Bernardi and Maddie Shevlin will be in the mix, injury permitting, while Emelia Yassir showed some promising signs in the practice match.

https://www.womens.afl/news/77641?_ga=2.82915743.809077298.1640484954-224749430.1603381344

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • For We're From Tigerland
« Reply #936 on: December 29, 2021, 01:56:55 PM »
MOCK TEAMS: Who's in your club's best 21 for round one?

Sarah Black
womens.afl
29 December 2021

RICHMOND

B: Bec Miller, Harriet Cordner

HB: Sarah D'Arcy, Jess Hosking, Tessa Lavey

C: Hannah Burchell, Sarah Hosking, Meagan Kiely

HF: Courtney Wakefield, Katie Brennan, Kodi Jacques

F: Tayla Stahl, Stella Reid

I/C: Sarah Sansonetti, Kate Dempsey, Poppy Kelly, Sophie Molan, Maddy Brancatisano

A difficult 21 to select due to a number of nagging injuries that could affect round one selection. Stella Reid looks set to take the forward role vacated by Sabrina Frederick, while Poppy Kelly will cover Frederick's ruck duties. If Jess Hosking's shoulder has recovered in time, she'll slot into the backline following the delisting of Phoebe Monahan. Meagan Kiely starred in the practice match, adding some much-needed midfield depth. Christina Bernardi and Maddie Shevlin will be in the mix, injury permitting, while Emelia Yassir showed some promising signs in the practice match.

https://www.womens.afl/news/77641?_ga=2.82915743.809077298.1640484954-224749430.1603381344

It will be closer to this team which is much stronger.

B: Jess Hosking, Harriet Cordner

HB: Sarah D'Arcy, Bec Miller, Sarah Hosking

C: Tessa Lavey, Megan Kiely, Kate Dempsey

HF: Stella Reid, Katie Brennan, Emelia Yassir

F: Maddy Brancatisano, Courtney Wakefield

I/C: Sarah Sansonetti, Poppy Kelly, Ilish Ross, Laura McClelland

All of Molan, Jacques, Burchell and Stahl have shown they are not up to AFL level already.

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #937 on: December 29, 2021, 02:13:19 PM »
Ellie McK is injured & won't be playing

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #938 on: December 29, 2021, 03:34:42 PM »

How can she be injured?

If she picked up an injury playing for stuffen Port Melbourne then someone needs to be fired.

Offline WilliamPowell

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
  • Better to ignore a fool than encourage one
    • One Eyed Richmond
« Reply #939 on: December 29, 2021, 08:27:13 PM »

How can she be injured?

If she picked up an injury playing for stuffen Port Melbourne then someone needs to be fired.

Port last played in July.

Playing for Port has nothing to do with it.

Believe it was early in pre-season training
"Oh yes I am a dreamer, I still see us flying high!"

from the song "Don't Walk Away" by Pat Benatar 1988 (Wide Awake In Dreamland)

Offline Knighter

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #940 on: December 30, 2021, 01:05:13 AM »
All they do is running and weights early preseason so was it an injury away from the track?

Offline taztiger4

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Shovelheads - Keeping hipsters off Harley's
« Reply #941 on: December 30, 2021, 12:26:39 PM »
All they do is running and weights early preseason so was it an injury away from the track?

Yep, I cant recall anyone ever doing their knee whilst running

:sarcasm2

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #942 on: December 30, 2021, 02:06:50 PM »

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #943 on: December 30, 2021, 02:07:25 PM »
AFLW 2022 season preview: Richmond Tigers

While 2021 saw some steady gains made, are the Tigers set to really roar this season?

Ed Carmine
zerohanger.com
DECEMBER 30, 2021

Following a fruitless first season, Richmond managed to offer their army of fans some joy across the back half of 2021 when they finally broke through to taste victory.

While the senses of success never lingered for too long, appetites, both on and off-field, were whet ahead of the expansion side's third sprint of fixtures.

Though recent form suggests the AFLW Tigers are not yet ready to replicate the dynastical deeds of 'Dusty', 'Cotch' and company, hopes will be high that 2022 can produce another season of progression at the Swinburne Centre.

2021 recap

Like Yazz in the late 80s, the only way was up for Richmond after a winless debut campaign in 2020.

Although a first finals appearance remained outside of the Tigers' claws during their sophomore season, Ryan Ferguson's charges proved able to triple their win rate from the year prior.

While respective victories against the Cats, Suns and Eagles saw the Punt Road side round out the year as the strongest of the most recent expansion teams, a sextet of defeats against the competition's contenders was enough to have Richmond well beneath the cut off for the six.

Despite proving able to claim each of their wins by an average of 23-points, the Tigers' losing mean of more than four goals also shows that there is plenty of bush left to bash along the road towards premiership glory.

Off-season moves

Fresh off demolishing a 1.2kg Parma in less than 20-minutes, Jess Hosking reunited with her twin sister Sarah after walking from Princes Park during the 11th hour of the trade period.

Though the pair have already played together during their shared stint as Blues, this summer marks the first occasion the identical blondes will be clad in yellow and black since their days with the Seaford Football Club.

While Ferguson will no longer be able to call on the services of Sabrina Frederick after the key forward joined Collingwood during the break, the acquisition of hybrid tall Poppy Kelly from the Saints should go some way to plugging the gap.

Recruits: Jess Hosking (Carlton), Poppy Kelly (St Kilda), Maddie Shevlin (Collingwood).

Draftees: Ingrid Houtsma, Meagan Kiely, Stella Reid, Emelia Yassir, Akec Makur Chuot (re-listed).

Out: Sabrina Frederick (Collingwood), Emily Harley, Luka Lesosky-Hay, Akec Makur Chuot, Cleo Saxon-Jones, Holly Whitford, (delisted), Alice Edmonds (delisted, then Western Bulldogs), Phoebe Monahan (delisted, then Brisbane), Alana Woodward (delisted, then St Kilda).

Strengths and weaknesses

As previously mentioned, the Tigers' inability to defeat teams residing in the ladder's upper echelons is still a cause for concern.

However, with a burgeoning midfield that now contains both Hosking sisters, the precociously talented Ellie McKenzie and dual All-Australian Monique Conti, Richmond appears a match for most engine rooms throughout the league.

Still, the loss of Frederick to the other side of Swan Street will mean that the well-travelled Courtney Wakefield will be left carrying more weight within an offensive unit that averaged less than five goals per week last season.

Should hopes be held for this figure to skyrocket this season, plenty will also be placed at the feet of skipper Katie Brennan to repeat her recently ameliorated output.

Given Richmond was also unable to stymy sides from slotting a par score of six majors, the screws inside the defensive arc will also require tightening.

Season summary
St Kilda (A), Melbourne (H), Fremantle (H), Gold Coast (A), Western Bulldogs (A), North Melbourne (H), West Coast (A), Geelong (H), Greater Western Sydney (A), Brisbane (H).

Defining period

While two-fold, Richmond's aims for their third season are exceptionally straightforward.

If a spot in the six is to be secured by the time autumn has arrived, the Tigers will need to continue besting sides below them on the ladder, as well as begin taking points from those with their sights set on the flag.

Richmond's run between Rounds 2 and 6 will have them facing stiff competition in the form of the Demons, Dockers, Bulldogs and Kangaroos, but if they are able to win decisions across this stretch, yet another rise up the rungs is well within reach.

Fervent Tiger fanatics will also see clashes against St Kilda, Gold Coast, West Coast, Geelong and Greater Western Sydney as prime opportunities to bank valuable points ahead of March.

Predictions

While a perfect squad balance is still yet to be found at Tigerland, the mere fact that Richmond's roster contains a litany of known quantities will be enough to have opposition sides wary.

The many winnable contests that bookend their schedule should also see provide another campaign of consolidation.

But if their track record against the competition's heavyweights remains one-sided, the Tigers' elevation from an expansion tomato can will be delayed for another off-season yet.

Cameron Grimes: 10th
Danielle Sorati: 9th
Ed Carmine: 11th
Jake Benoiton: 12th
Michael Georgiou: 10th
Mitch Keating: 9th
Niesha Happell: 11th

https://www.zerohanger.com/aflw-2022-season-preview-richmond-tigers-96114/

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #944 on: December 30, 2021, 02:11:41 PM »
Iilish Ross has been placed on our inactive list ahead of the 2022 season.

Wishing you all the best in your recovery, Snoop

Ross sustained a bone stress injury to her lower leg during the pre-season that is not expected to recover in time for the upcoming season that commences on January 7.

“We are very disappointed for Iilish, who has worked hard to overcome injury issues during her almost three years at the Club,” said Richmond Head of Women’s Football, Kate Sheahan.

“Based on the injuries timeline and Iilish’s history, we have made the decision together with her and our medical team to give the issue time to recover without the pressure of setting a return date for this AFLW season.

https://twitter.com/RichmondWomens/status/1476330702060888068