Author Topic: Daniel Rioli [merged]  (Read 241609 times)

Lebowski

Re: Daniel Rioli [merged]
« Reply #615 on: May 01, 2018, 03:09:21 PM »
Hopefully he'll get some gametime by round 9-10 in the VFL

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #616 on: May 07, 2018, 08:08:57 PM »
Richmond young gun Daniel Rioli is hopeful he will be back in action for this year’s Dreamtime clash

LAUREN WOOD,
Herald Sun
8 May 2018

DANIEL Rioli is confident that the “frustrating” effects of his debilitating Grand Final injury are almost behind him and he remains hopeful of playing in the team’s Round 11 Dreamtime clash with Essendon.

But there remains no official timeline for any return.

Rioli, 21, broke his ankle late in the drought-breaking flag win and endured two bouts of surgery — his first long-term injury.

He has been cautious in his recovery and has refused to be drawn on a firm return date, but is adamant that it will not be far away after Richmond firmed in favouritism to claim a second consecutive premiership.

“It goes slow and takes its time, but I feel like it’s getting closer and closer every day now so fingers crossed I’ll be back out there soon,” Rioli said.

“It’s been tough. I just want to be out there playing again.

“It’s frustrating just training and not playing games and watching your teammates play. I just want to be out there playing again and hopefully it’s soon. I just can’t wait.”

The June 2 Dreamtime at the ‘G is one that Rioli is holding out hope of being ready for.

“Hopefully I get the chance to play that round. It’s a tough one, but it’s always a great time to pull on the jumper ... and represent your people from back home,” he said.

“I can’t wait to pull on the jumper again and hopefully that’s coming soon.”

Rioli — who has rejoined his teammates at training in recent weeks — lives with coach Damien Hardwick and his family, and said he was well looked after in the months following his surgeries “especially at dinner time”.

The first operation was to insert plates and screws to stabilise his ankle — which left him unable to walk throughout premiership celebrations — with the second to remove them.

Rehabilitation has at times proven lonely, but he credited his teammates for regularly boosting his spirits amid what he said was a testing period as he dealt with the long process of managing a major injury for the first time in his career.

“It was pretty hard times as well, just sitting on the couch and knowing that you’re not going to be fully fit (for a long time),” he said.

“I sat on the couch for about five or six months without training or running and thinking my return, it was going to be hard to get fit again. It’s been pretty frustrating as well, trying to get that fitness back.

“Now I’m just waiting for the bones to get stronger again. I feel like it’s already stronger now so it’s just time. Time is key. Just taking it day by day like they always say.

“But now I feel like I’m really close. It’s all paid off.”

The Tigers sit atop the ladder and have dropped just one game so far this season, with the team’s promising start to the season having spurred Rioli further to get back into the action.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/richmond/richmond-young-gun-daniel-rioli-is-hopeful-he-will-be-back-in-action-for-this-years-dreamtime-clash/news-story/cba3e144a81fdc0eede8a4f3c1d52b42

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #617 on: May 07, 2018, 08:35:20 PM »
What’s the history on the type of injury? Do players normally come back just as good?

Concerned because Browny was never the same after the leg broke.
The club that keeps giving.

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #618 on: May 07, 2018, 10:26:06 PM »
As long as he's still on the list in 2021.... :shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #619 on: May 08, 2018, 06:15:35 PM »
Daniel Rioli

“Daniel’s had a great couple of weeks. He started main skills with the group last week and this week we’re progressing him into full skills training. So, hopefully by the end of this week, we’ll actually start to pinpoint a return game for him. But until that point we’ll wait and see.” 

Source: Peter Burge on the RFC website

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #620 on: May 08, 2018, 07:45:36 PM »
Caution call: Tigers careful on jet's return

Jennifer Phelan
afl.com.au
May 8, 2018 5:02PM

A DECISION on whether Daniel Rioli will push for a VFL berth within the next few weeks will be made in the coming days based on how he recovers from accumulated training soreness.

Rioli wants to play in Richmond's Dreamtime at the 'G clash in Round 11 on June 2, but is yet to figure in any competitive match play since breaking his foot in last year's Grand Final.

Rioli's foot, which has had two operations since October, is sound and pain-free, but the premiership forward has been sore throughout his body this week as the result of increased training load.

There's cautious optimism Rioli could play in the VFL within the next fortnight, but how he presents to the club on Wednesday will dictate whether that's a realistic goal.

"We've just got to be a bit careful with him because otherwise you finish up with other things like hamstrings or calves or backs," football manager Neil Balme told AFL.com.au on Tuesday.

"When they do that extra work … he's pulled up not so much sore in the foot but sore everywhere else.

"He's OK, but you never quite know what that means, so if he trains tomorrow he'll be fine.

"If he doesn't train, it might put him back a little bit."

The Tigers have been extremely cautious with Rioli's rehabilitation and remain loathe to set an exact date on his return to avoid putting unnecessary pressure on the 21-year-old.

Richmond is determined to make sure Rioli is in the best shape possible when he returns to the field to avoid him suffering subsequent injuries.

"He's in really good shape and we're really pleased with the way he's going, it's just that we've got to make sure he does enough work," Balme said.

"When he plays he's a very explosive player, it's not as if he plays at half rat power, he goes full bore.

"You've got to give him a chance so he doesn't hurt himself when he plays."

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-08/proceed-with-caution-tigers-careful-on-jets-return

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #622 on: May 15, 2018, 12:51:53 PM »
Flag hero pencils in VFL return on Saturday

Jennifer Phelan
afl.com.au
May 15, 2018 10:25AM

DANIEL Rioli has tentatively pencilled in this Saturday's VFL clash with Sandringham for his first competitive hit-out since he broke his foot in last year's Grand Final.

The premiership Tiger will have to get through training this week before he gets the final sign off, but it is understood he is optimistic of lining up in the game at Holm Park Recreational Reserve in Beaconsfield.

The Tigers have been extremely cautious with the 21-year-old's rehabilitation and have been hesitant to choose a return date such was the nature of the tricky injury.

However, after two operations and a long spell in a moon boot, Rioli is poised to resume 262 days since his last official game.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-05-15/flag-hero-pencils-in-vfl-return-on-saturday#/

Offline pmac21

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #623 on: May 15, 2018, 01:45:29 PM »
Great news

Offline Hard Roar Tiger

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #624 on: May 15, 2018, 05:53:43 PM »
Can't wait. :clapping
“I find it nearly impossible to make those judgments, but he is certainly up there with the really important ones, he is certainly up there with the Francis Bourkes and the Royce Harts and the Kevin Bartlett and the Kevin Sheedys, there is no doubt about that,” Balme said.

Offline eliminator

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #625 on: May 15, 2018, 06:30:39 PM »
Great news. Hope all goes well.

Offline Chuck17

• The Shaun Grugg of OER
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #626 on: May 15, 2018, 06:40:23 PM »
Only getting a game because of his name

Lebowski

« Reply #627 on: May 15, 2018, 07:46:34 PM »
 :clapping

Online Diocletian

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Proud Gang of Four member #albomustgo
« Reply #628 on: May 15, 2018, 10:25:32 PM »
Only getting a game because of his name

:shh
"Much of the social history of the Western world, over the past three decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good...."

- Thomas Sowell

FJ is the only one that makes sense.

Offline one-eyed

• Administrator
  • RFC Hall of Fame
    • One-Eyed Richmond
« Reply #629 on: May 17, 2018, 01:19:41 AM »
Livewire forward Daniel Rioli got through the [training] session and looks likely to play his first game since last year's Grand Final on Saturday against Sandringham in the VFL.

Source: AFL website