Author Topic: Ben Lennon [merged]  (Read 227110 times)

Offline YellowandBlackBlood

• Long suffering….
  • RFC Hall of Fame
Re: Ben Lennon [merged]
« Reply #210 on: June 28, 2014, 11:38:44 AM »
Y&B ..give Lennon a pre season or two with us ,and hed be lining up for Managatang seconds in 2 years time...Our organisation has the midas touch in reverse.
For the love of mike didn't Dimma come out this past week and say Miles development has surprised him....Even Martha and the muffins knew he had ability some 5 months ago in the early stages of pre season
Hopefully he won't get Tigeriits! ;D

Seriously, we have changed the club from top to bottom and we still seem to be in the same position as we were before Hardwick got to the club (on field).

To be fair on Hardwick, he did improve us every year till this one.  One has to ask the question, if he could improve us from near last to winning 15 games, why has he failed so badly this year?
If he could never coach he would have never improved us.
So what's gone wrong?

I keep thinking that the good clubs never think they are there.  They keep on rebuilding their lists. They target good youngsters but also go for quality recycled players, not rejects that could not get a game.
I think we all feel that is a large part of our problem but it can't be the whole story. 

Something else is amiss……..
OER. Calling it as it is since 2004.

Gigantor

« Reply #211 on: June 28, 2014, 11:41:32 AM »
Valid points Y&B

Offline Tigeritis™©®

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Richmond, Premiers 2017.2019
« Reply #212 on: June 28, 2014, 12:11:01 PM »
Y&B ..give Lennon a pre season or two with us ,and hed be lining up for Managatang seconds in 2 years time...Our organisation has the midas touch in reverse.
For the love of mike didn't Dimma come out this past week and say Miles development has surprised him....Even Martha and the muffins knew he had ability some 5 months ago in the early stages of pre season

Seriously, we have changed the club from top to bottom and we still seem to be in the same position as we were before Hardwick got to the club (on field).

To be fair on Hardwick, he did improve us every year till this one.  One has to ask the question, if he could improve us from near last to winning 15 games, why has he failed so badly this year?
So what's gone wrong?

I keep thinking that the good clubs never think they are there.  They keep on rebuilding their lists. They target good youngsters but also go for quality recycled players, not rejects that could not get a game.
I think we all feel that is a large part of our problem but it can't be the whole story. 

A major symptom of Tigeritis™®© is the delusion that your good enough.

Rid the disease, clean it, strip it back bare & fumigate the joint.
You can't be complacent with such a virulent disease because it's always going to come back and kill you when you least expect it.
We should all know it by now but sometimes we forget too.

The cycle of Skata. Plop Plop Plop(used by permission DF)
The club that keeps giving.

the claw

« Reply #213 on: June 28, 2014, 12:21:10 PM »

So what's gone wrong?

quite simply most people have failed to realise just how close most sides are. we were never in front of other clubs we were a middling team who had nearly every thing go our way which enabled us to get above the other 10 12 clubs around us.

falso  most of our players we have a long performance history we can go thru. what happened last yr was a lot of those players hit their ceiling they played way above what they can sustain. it was just a matter of time before they regressed back to a sustainable level.  go look at their overall records and most are where they are normally at.
also there just isnt enough quality players  capable of bringing these glass half fulls into games as i call em to maintain a very high performance level.

all players have talent. all players can play a blinder reckon 20or so   yrs ago i could have been gifted a game and had a blinder.
our trouble is like me far too many on our list have shocking deficiencies in their game.  basics that should have meant we dont even look at em. we arent talking a small deficiency or just one, in too many cases its several.

for example how often have we seen a player like s edwards at our footy club. he  will play one ot two good games then struggle, geez edwards even managed to have a decent 12 14 games  a few yrs ago it is the only time i thought maybe he can become a good consistent player. but as  always he  regressed and he always will because of the chronic deficiencies.
 how many shane edwards have we had over the yrs. how many like like him do we continue to not only give regular games to but keep.

our trouble is because they give a little something every now and then we hang on, and hang on and then hang on some more. hoping they can become good players hoping they can become consistent players,  all the while overlooking their over all performance records  and their chronic deficiencies. s edwards has hardly changed since the day we got him yet 8 yrs later we give him a 2 yr extension, where a good club would have cut him or traded him after 3 or 4 yrs and let his inconsistency and deficiencies become someone elses problem.
we have too many like s edwards and it was always going to bite us.

Offline Penelope

• Internet nuffer and sooky jellyfish
  • RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #214 on: June 28, 2014, 01:42:58 PM »

So what's gone wrong?

and the question is what exactly? Looking in from the outside it is only guesswork, though.

AS ive said previously you dont get to within a kick of top 4 with both a crap list and a crap coach.

The list hasn't changed that much, but we still have the same coach, so what then?
 Here's how i see it.
From what I can glean about Hardwick is he is a very meticulous person. I think it was weightman that commented about how everything is planned to a T, and Hardwick goest to lengths to ensure the i's are dotted and the T's are crossed.

I know this a generalisation, but in my experience people that are so meticulous and rely on planning so heavily, tend to struggle when things go wrong. If something goes amiss that they havn't accounted for they struggle to think on their feet.

In Hardwicks first  years, everything pretty much went to plan for him and we saw a linear improvement each year. There were minor setbacks but he just stuck to the predetermined plan and rode them out.

This is what he seems to be trying to do now, but it is clear that, for whatever reason, that isn't working. Whatever has gone wrong is not just going to fix itself by by sticking to the predetermined plan, and hardwick is just lost. It comes through in the pressers and even his weekly edits. It is not something he planned for and he is bereft of ideas and incapable of, or unwilling to,  stray from his predetermined path.

This to me is the worst part. Not that things have gone wrong - I half expected we may slip back this year, just not to the degree we have - but more concerning is that the head coach is just so clueless as how to deal with it. His unwillingness to drop under performing players because he thinks they are pretty much the best 22 highlights this

It seems as if he has taken this club as far as he can, and it is time for a new driver, me thinks.
“For My thoughts are not your thoughts,
Nor are your ways my ways,” says the Lord.

“For as the heavens are higher than the earth,
So are my ways higher than your ways,
And my thoughts than your thoughts."

Yahweh? or the great Clawski?

yaw rehto eht dellorcs ti fi daer ot reisae eb dluow tI

dwaino

« Reply #215 on: June 28, 2014, 02:17:17 PM »

It seems as if he has taken this club as far as he can, and it is time for a new driver, me thinks.

These are my exact thoughts. I have no disrespect for the bloke and won't call him Dimwit or anything, but I don't see anything wrong with acknowledging he has done as much as he can, give him a hand shake and say thanks for dragging us out of the poo and get somebody to take us to the next step. I do fear if we hold on to him even until the end of the next year (mind you with still a year to run on his contract) with no improvement and the list gets completely shot and becomes devoid of any confidence.

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #216 on: June 29, 2014, 11:23:54 AM »
Any coach & team crumbles when the team is depleted with injury after injury & must play injured players. It happens at every club but we are so troubled by key injuries & that's why we had the huge drop off. Many of our players had interrupted pre-season or none at all. Supporters tend to forget this. Panic sets into the playing group & confidence drops off & Tigeritis sets in. Skills well that's the player themselves dropping off. No excuses at all. The next 6 weeks will tell the real story.  ;D

Gigantor

« Reply #217 on: June 29, 2014, 11:29:40 AM »
How bad is this for the RFC when its own supporters (us) have had to conjure up a word Tigeritis to explain the enigma that is RFC.
This is what the club should be looking at,its very own supporters who endlessly dig into the pockets have named a disease and labelled the RFC as such

Offline TigerMonk

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #218 on: June 29, 2014, 11:50:05 AM »
How bad is this for the RFC when its own supporters (us) have had to conjure up a word Tigeritis to explain the enigma that is RFC.
This is what the club should be looking at,its very own supporters who endlessly dig into the pockets have named a disease and labelled the RFC as such

;D l seem to have caught this terrible disease  :lol

Offline yellowandback

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #219 on: June 29, 2014, 07:43:42 PM »

So what's gone wrong?

and the question is what exactly? Looking in from the outside it is only guesswork, though.

AS ive said previously you dont get to within a kick of top 4 with both a crap list and a crap coach.

The list hasn't changed that much, but we still have the same coach, so what then?
 Here's how i see it.
From what I can glean about Hardwick is he is a very meticulous person. I think it was weightman that commented about how everything is planned to a T, and Hardwick goest to lengths to ensure the i's are dotted and the T's are crossed.

I know this a generalisation, but in my experience people that are so meticulous and rely on planning so heavily, tend to struggle when things go wrong. If something goes amiss that they havn't accounted for they struggle to think on their feet.

In Hardwicks first  years, everything pretty much went to plan for him and we saw a linear improvement each year. There were minor setbacks but he just stuck to the predetermined plan and rode them out.

This is what he seems to be trying to do now, but it is clear that, for whatever reason, that isn't working. Whatever has gone wrong is not just going to fix itself by by sticking to the predetermined plan, and hardwick is just lost. It comes through in the pressers and even his weekly edits. It is not something he planned for and he is bereft of ideas and incapable of, or unwilling to,  stray from his predetermined path.

This to me is the worst part. Not that things have gone wrong - I half expected we may slip back this year, just not to the degree we have - but more concerning is that the head coach is just so clueless as how to deal with it. His unwillingness to drop under performing players because he thinks they are pretty much the best 22 highlights this

Good post but I'm not sure I agree with the last bit.
People who are meticulous (in my experience) struggle to step back and assess the big picture of what is going wrong.
They get stuck in the detail.
He either needs a decent mentor who has been there and done it or he needs to remember there is a reason we have 2 ears and 1 mouth.
I wonder if he is listening to the wiser heads (Choco) at Punt Rd right now.
It's that simple Spud
"I discussed (it) with my three daughters, my wife and my 82-year-old mum, because it has really affected me … If those comments … were made about one of my daughters, it would make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I would not have liked it at all.”

Offline Yeahright

• RFC Hall of Fame
« Reply #220 on: June 30, 2014, 09:42:51 PM »
You spin me right round baby, right round like a record player

You must watch too much meatspin

tony_montana

« Reply #221 on: September 18, 2014, 09:21:46 PM »
Tony_M
Thinking about it a bit further, is he worth our first pick? We know what we are getting and that's pretty good.  Would definitely help our midfield from day one.
If you had the choose today, would you take him or Lennon?
The tops teams definitely wouldn't mind using their first rounder on him IMO.

I'd take him over lennon no problem(not sold on lennon tbh) and yep I would give up our first rounder for him. Think he's a very talented player that's already shown he can play at a high standard.
Yer tend to agree on Lennon but I have seen some nice things from him. Recon he is an elite kick and more importantly decision maker. Really hope he comes good because he could be really great to watch. A little Lids like I recon, never going to be hard but will be silky.
Mitchell for our first pick I'd be happy with but keeping our first pick and getting Mitchell as well is where we should be aiming.
How good are Sydney when a bloke like this cannot even get a game. What hope do we have??

I agree about Lennon, can see his qualities but Im a little concerned  - I don't know if its bc he just not ready physically but its concerning seeing a top draft pick seem so far off the pace and timing of the game. Usually they adjust pretty quickly - he just never looked comfortable - almost, dare I say it Watts and tambling like. I really hope its just a conditioning thing that will go once he gets a full preseason under the belt, but yeah Im concerned.

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #222 on: September 18, 2014, 10:39:03 PM »
I wasn't too concerned when I saw him nail Martin with a pass lace out that he stuffed up then recovered in closing minutes of the crows win , Lennon will be fine, he dominated vfl ea week just quietly , rarely under 25 touches
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled

Offline Damo

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Member of famed “Gang Of Four”. Ground the airbus!
« Reply #223 on: September 18, 2014, 10:53:15 PM »
Lennon will be fine, he dominated vfl ea week just quietly , rarely under 25 touches

Liston votes for Richmond below.

Must have been dominating very quietly. You just can't help but talk complete nonsense at times.

Just utterly wrong.

Player TOTAL
R. Young 8
A. Miles 8
O. Stephenson 6
L. McBean 4
N. Batsanis 4
N. Wynne 3
S. Lloyd 3
A. Edwards 3
S. Grigg 3
B. Griffiths 2
D. Jackson 1
R. McGough 1
R. Petterd 1
M. Thomas 1

Offline bojangles17

• RFC Hall of Fame
  • Platinum member 33 years
« Reply #224 on: September 18, 2014, 11:03:35 PM »
Lennon will be fine, he dominated vfl ea week just quietly , rarely under 25 touches

Liston votes for Richmond below.

Must have been dominating very quietly. You just can't help but talk complete nonsense at times.

Just utterly wrong.

Player TOTAL
R. Young 8
A. Miles 8
O. Stephenson 6
L. McBean 4
N. Batsanis 4
N. Wynne 3
S. Lloyd 3
A. Edwards 3
S. Grigg 3
B. Griffiths 2
D. Jackson 1
R. McGough 1
R. Petterd 1
M. Thomas 1
Go back over the RFC vfl reports bucko, Geoff Raines was once fav for brownlow and didn't poll a vote , as if I'd use the Liston as the benchmark. And how many games did he play exactly , was it 8 or 9 . You speak nonsense , rubbish, call it what u will  :shh
RFC 1885, Often Imitated, Never Equalled